Pink Soy Jars

birdcharm

Wow.....beautiful beautiful pale pink color....love it.  Did you purposely design the candle to have like drips of darker shades of pink in each color?   And beautiful smooth tops.  Those silver 2 piece lids look great with those colors.  Are you putting a label on the lid? I 'd love to see your label.... I love those fragrance combinations.  I think I'm going to try those combos!  Those are wide mouth canning jars aren't they?  What did you wind up using for wicks?  When I do them I have to use a cd 20 or  cd 22.

Trappeur

I did the splotchy design on purpose, but as for the intensity or fading of the color, it did its own thing there.  I used little pieces of colored soy wax that I placed on top after the candle cooled to under about 120dF.  These were done for a friend, so there wasn't a label except for a safety label on the bottoms.  I used a #2 square braid cotton; I probably could have gone just a little smaller in wick size, but there wasn't time to search for the absolute correct one; these worked nicely though.  The smooth tops are thanks to you ... I was having a bit of issue with little bumps on the top when I was cooling to 125dF, so I up'd the temperature on the pour.  The ones with natural colored tops got a very thin top pour.  I also did some in a "cherry cream" that smelled like cherry ice cream.  I'd like to do some of these in lavender some time, I think that might be pretty. 

• Like 2

Have you burned these candles yet and tested the throw of them?  Are they good?  I would love to try those combos and the cherry ice cream too.

Do you mind saying where the fragrance oils are from?

I've wanted for a long time to try some chunk candles and I might just do that in the next week or so but I need to get some colors ordered.

Trappeur

• Like 1

All of the scents could be smelled when cold ... strawberry seemed to have the nicest HT, but the cherry was also nice; peppermint was a bit more subtle for some reason, but still nice.  My oils are all from a combination of suppliers (i.e., custom mixes, you may pm me for recipes if you'd like, @Trappeur).  As for getting the look I ended up with, @Moonstar, I started off by making little batches of highly colored wax; as the candles were cooling, I sprinkled little bits and flakes on top -- some melted, some sank, some just sat there, so I had to tempt them to sink, melt, or swirl by poking with a metal pick.  It's quite variable as to how the various pieces are going to melt since the little bits are sized differently, and next time, I really need to see if I can make better notes as to the temperature of the wax as I'm adding the color.  I can say that if the wax has cooled below the temperature to melt the added color, you can very quickly use a heat gun, you just need to be careful, if it gets too hot, you won't get the same look, as it will blend much more.  I'll make more soon and take better notes!

• Like 1

Thank you @Moonstar ... yes, do try it!  I think you'll enjoy the surprise.  Just don't overwork the wax once the "sprinkles" are in it ... you might be tempted to swirl the depth of it around the jar, which you might do just a little in spirts, but if you do it too much you'll lose the effect.  If you see a clump that isn't melting properly, just give it a little nudge and push it around a little, very gently.  I use a poultry lacer (metal pick), a habit I picked up from making gel candles.  As usual with candles, you won't know what you've created until it's cooled, as I'm sure you already know! 

Here are some other ones I did over the holidays (mixed up a fruitcake scent), I didn't intend for them to come out quite so yellow, but it suited the candle anyway.  I used two different colors of flaky wax pieces (more pink than green - hint: must be unequal on those colors, otherwise when the candle burns, it can turn brown), I then did a second pour in a thin layer over grated pink and used a heat gun *very* briefly, which made the top coat pink.  With a different scent, this color combo (not my favorite, but it's kind of growing on me) might be a nice springtime candle, maybe a sweet floral or strawberry-banana.  You can't see it, but the bottoms are white and most of the inside was too, as I only added the yellow around the outside edge, but the wax was a bit too hot, so it made its way through much more; the other colors sat on top as I didn't add those for awhile.

fruitcakejars.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

You should Birdcharm! lol  With your beautiful colors like you did in the candles here, I just know if you did a dreamsicle it would be awesome!  Tomorrow I will have Dreamsicle here from Bittercreek and then I ordered some from Cierrra which should be here Wednesday and then just a few minutes ago I had to do an order with Fillmore and I went and ordered some from them!  Actually I had forgotten to order apple pie from Bittercreek so I ordered Warm Apple Pie from Fillmore.  I have never had theirs so I hope it is a good one.

Trappeur

• Like 1

It will be interesting for you to compare your various Orange Dreamsicles -- I bet they will all be different!  I wanted to do Apple Pie candles this past fall -- maybe this year I can focus on apple scents a little more.  I'm going to head to my scent bottles later today and see what I have going for orange and see about pouring one.  I've been so busy lately, I can hardly get to my candles -- we had guests and I made them a candle, while almost all of my candle stash has been used up! 

Okay @Trappeur ... I poured one!  Now, I'm not sure my mix is correct, but it smells very good!  I used a little more French Vanilla (a mix of mine) and Creme Brulee than Orange (about two parts of the vanilla types) ... it smells nice so far.  I'll take a pic!  This time I used a candy thermometer as I was adding the flakes of color ... I've realized a few things about my coloring and the way I cut the pieces, as I shaved the colored wax this time for the most part.  I'll explain a bit later just to note it.  Thanks for the inspiration!

Sounds great Birdcharm!

I already made up a blend of Blood Orange and Vanilla over a week ago. Actually I burned this just for the heck of it after 7 days and I got no throw! Waaaahhhhh.

So I'm letting it sit another week as I usually wait two weeks but I had antsy pants and just had to try it......So the waiting continues....

Today I poured Bittercreeks Dreamsicle (I did 3 just now.)

Tonight the Dreamsicle will be here from Cierra and also from Fillmore.  So I will have 4 different ones going....

Oh yes, post those pictures!

Trappeur

• Like 1

Beautiful!  So now is that an 8 oz square mason?So what wax and what wick did you use?  Hope you don't mind me asking?

After I get caught up with my candle order for 3 shops I'm working on, I'm coming back to this thread and get the fragrances ordered what you used and do some candles like this.  Your combinations sound so heavenly awesome and right up my alley.  You are an inspiration!  I just love them!

Trappeur

I'm glad you like it ... you just got me thinking of that scent, and I hadn't tried mixing that -- sitting here with way too much (old) orange!

Well, you're going to laugh at me -- I've had this jar hanging around for ages -- on the day I decided I'd pour this candle, I washed the jar in the morning so it would be nice and dry by the evening.  When the evening came around, I soon realized that I had forgotten to measure to see what it would hold.  Just to make sure I melted enough wax, I melted nearly a pound (wanted to pour a couple of smaller candles at the same time anyway so hoped I melted enough) ... anyway, I think it's probably 8-ounces.  After it's burned I guess I'll figure out what it held, lol.  I used GW464 and I've got a #3 square braid in there, I'll see how that works out, I haven't tried that size jar/wick combination before. 

One thing I did do to be a little more "exact" this time, lol, was use the candy thermometer in the candle before placing the color.  As you can see, I didn't get the flecking like the others, which I kind of wanted, but that's okay, I get it now.  I was at 120dF and dropping, but I had shaved the colored wax off with a knife rather than making little chunks.  They sat on top a little, then sank, I swirled a metal pick around once and put a some more on the surface.  By that time the wax was 100dF and they weren't melting too good, so I used a heat gun briefly.  That's fine for the surface layer to be colored, but no flecks this time!  Next time, I'm going to try little pieces rather than flakes, and I think I need to add them at minimum 125 degrees.

• 2 months later...

they all look so lovely ... I always am smelling my candles when they are curing! haha they smell soo good! do you use just straight GW464 or blend it? I am testing some at the moment and am not too happy with my tops. i will try pouring at 150f like you said