Annual Conference

I noticed that the National Candle Association was having their Annual Conference close to my home, so I looked into attending.  Holy Cow!  It is very expensive!  Wondering if anyone has attended before?  Is it worth it for a newbie or is it more appropriate for large operations?  Are there any other candle conferences/trade shows that I should look into?  Lots of questions, I know, but thanks in advance for any responses!

Many years ago (2004) I went to the IGCA conference, and enjoyed it very much. It was local so I didn't have to get the hotel room, but it was still expensive. In that conference though we had several luncheons, dinners, and networking events,, and there were also hands-on candle workshops. There I learned out to carve candles, make beeswax luminaries, picture hurricanes, gel candles and on top of those there were workshops on bookkeeping, trends, home-based business vs. storefront, etc. And those are only the ones I attended. There were several others, that either occurred during the same time I was doing something else, or just wasn't interested enough to attend that particular workshop. It was very enlightening and I enjoyed myself immensely.  

• Like 3

I think if you are wanting to go to a conf to learn about candlemaking, latest supplies, and techniques, etc. look for a supplier's type candle making conf instead.

The NGA is geared more for the big candle biz companies like Yankee, Slatkins, etc and very seasoned and knowledgeable candlmakers wanting to learn more about what's new in the industry. Those conf are not so much about candlemaking and would be more technical and industry based.

• Like 1

The cost depends on how you can use the information. If it is geared toward retailers/resellers and not end-users, it may not be. Look at the itinerary, keynote speakers and session topics first.

I attend the TEAMWORKS sessions for the Society of Cosmetic Chemists every year they are in Chicago. I use the event as a networking session with manufacturers and suppliers to negotiate direct buys for materials and in quantities not available through retailers (Like drums of surfactants, hard-to-find waxes, etc. that I often co-op to my groups later). The event provides a theme for all of the speaking sessions and attracts a lot of large local companies in search of the things i am, it is fun to learn the latest technologies and industry trends.

Also attended the last Central Soapers Workshop in Kansas City as a speaker. Networking through that event I was able to meet and partner with people I was interested in wholesaling to.

• Like 4

Jcandleattic, Candybee and TallTayl - Those are more along the lines of what I'm looking for!  Any idea on where would I find information on conferences or sessions.  I checked on line and that's how I found out about the National Candle Association conference.  When I worked in the coffee industry, I attended a trade show that had learning sessions all day and a floor filled with vendors - it was a great learning experience. We discovered so many new vendors and it really got our creative juices flowing!   

14 hours ago, TallTayl said:

The cost depends on how you can use the information. If it is geared toward retailers/resellers and not end-users, it may not be. Look at the itinerary, keynote speakers and session topics first.

I attend the TEAMWORKS sessions for the Society of Cosmetic Chemists every year they are in Chicago. I use the event as a networking session with manufacturers and suppliers to negotiate direct buys for materials and in quantities not available through retailers (Like drums of surfactants, hard-to-find waxes, etc. that I often co-op to my groups later). The event provides a theme for all of the speaking sessions and attracts a lot of large local companies in search of the things i am, it is fun to learn the latest technologies and industry trends.

Also attended the last Central Soapers Workshop in Kansas City as a speaker. Networking through that event I was able to meet and partner with people I was interested in wholesaling to.

I always find your posts not only interesting but informative. Im

always interested in trends, so what are the trends in B& B and 

candles for 2017. Is the natural market growing or do you feel it's phasing out. I think it's stronger than ever but I could be wrong.

The speakers at the last SCC conference were focused quite a bit on skin flora. Over the decades studies have focused inside rather than outside, so We know more about the gut than we do about the beneficial guests living right on our skin. They showed results of studies where "live food" such as yogurt which many natural products want to use is not advisable and even illegal. Over preserving products can be as detrimental to the balance as not preserving, etc. basically, it's not as easy as slathering some raw pantry item on your skin to cure anything or have any long term effect. 

another speaker went into great great detail about hair color, and the best surfactant mixes to preserve the delicate red notes, keeping color true for longer. 

The prior conference had speakers about nano technologies used in sunscreens, and how sunscreens are tested for effectiveness. The rigorous testing to prove stability and effectivity made it clear a scoop of titanium dioxide in a cream does not a sunscreen make. 

Epigenetics was a big topic, explaining how decisions your parents made during their early lives before we were even born effects us during our own lives.

if I come across the booklet from the 2016 conference I'll post more. 

• Like 1

Here is today's beauty trend from Glenn Cororation, one of my chemical suppliers.

National Big Wig Day, for a Big Volume Night Out

Historically big wigs were reserved for those who had money, power or influential status. Everyone aspired to be a big wig. 

Today we celebrate this movement in a different way. 

Big wigs in 2017 mean real hair, real volume and real influential status!

istock-170467832small_2.jpg

Pump-Up the Volume Formulation Solutions

• For Ladies (and Men!) with Curls 
  • Don’t Shampoo, Dry Shampoo!
  • No Build-Up, Volume-Up
  • Added Benefits Consumers Love 

Watch for Inspiration & Ideas

To the OP, to find conferences, check out groups like the Soapguild.org

https://www.soapguild.org/conference/

also ask around at the IndieBusinessNetwork.com

and ask your suppliers if they sponsor any. I have seen some candle suppliers hosting events that looked nice. If there is interest many will consider organizing one. 

Then check on facebook. With so many candle, soap, cosmetic groups there is bound to be someone willing to help organize an event. 

18 hours ago, pcbrook said:

BCN does not have theirs anymore.  The stopped them a few years ago.  I think Aztec has one every year.  

Nice to know. So it's candles and supplies that runs classes I think and if Aztec does one that would be interesting. 

On the comment to the OP about the NCA ... it may be expensive, but there were a couple of people who went that said it was worth every penny and more to go to one. Last I knew it was fairly inexpensive to become a member. That looks like it would save you quite a bit. 

• Like 1

NCA isn't really a hands on event. It's geared largely to larger candle companies and the big boys like Yankee, Wood Wick etc. Truly you'd likely be better off as other said attending one that a supplier puts on. I am not sure the IGCA does much of one anymore. They kind of screwed themselves over the years not wanting to join our century. You can't live with a paper presence in an internet world. LOL

13 hours ago, Flicker said:

NCA isn't really a hands on event. It's geared largely to larger candle companies and the big boys like Yankee, Wood Wick etc. Truly you'd likely be better off as other said attending one that a supplier puts on. I am not sure the IGCA does much of one anymore. They kind of screwed themselves over the years not wanting to join our century. You can't live with a paper presence in an internet world. LOL

Since you work for BCN, do you know why they stopped doing their conference?

10 hours ago, Daisymay66 said:

Since you work for BCN, do you know why they stopped doing their conference?

I no longer work there. I went back to college a few years back and have been at a health care organization for the past year. :)
They stopped doing them back a few years ago when there was an economic downturn. The people being able to afford the cost became less and less. They are very expensive to put on. When Doneen left the company, Rich decided not to do them any longer. I do miss them though.

• Like 1