Pre-batched lye

8-GRAN-ONES

Make sure it is in an airtight sealed container and it will last a long time. I've heard years, but I've never had a batch longer than a few months. As long as the water isn't evaporating your ratios should be correct. If water evaporates though, you could end up with a steeper water discount than you anticipate for. Not necessarily a big deal, but things will probably move faster than you are used too, and wont' gel as easily. 

This was a great question 8-gran-ones. So far I have only pre-batched lye 24 hrs in advance.

I like to weigh the container first so I can take subtract that from the lye solution weight to tell if it has evaporated. I usually add extra water to the solution when I first make it to combat evaporation. Mostly I have evaporation at the beginning when I first make the solution and while the lye is still hottest. Once cooled I don't seem to lose much to evaporation.

• Like 1

I just made a batch of soap with this pre-batched lye..it  worked  perfectly, no problems whatsoever..

i'm so glad to know this because I always masterbatch my soaping oil's but never have did any masterbatch lye..

My!!My!! this really does make soaping a breeze..having your oils and lye ready..

Edited by 8-GRAN-ONES
Sp
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, 8-GRAN-ONES said:

I just made a batch of soap with this pre-batched lye..it  worked  perfectly, no problems whatsoever..

i'm so glad to know this because I always masterbatch my soaping oil's but never have did any masterbatch lye..

My!!My!! this really does make soaping a breeze..having your oils and lye ready..

I've been masterbatching my oils and lye for about 3 or 4 years now. I will never go back to weighing out each, unless it's a specialty bar again. It saves so much time, headache and stress, it's a breeze to soap. 

I've never seen it for sale pre-mixed. TT mentioned it was some time ago you could buy it that way. Not sure I would want to buy it pre-mixed. Think of the shipping costs for all that liquid. Plus, I don't just use water for my lye solution, I use aloe, milks, etc., so definitely don't want pre-mixed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Candybee said:

I've never seen it for sale pre-mixed. TT mentioned it was some time ago you could buy it that way. Not sure I would want to buy it pre-mixed. Think of the shipping costs for all that liquid. Plus, I don't just use water for my lye solution, I use aloe, milks, etc., so definitely don't want pre-mixed.

I have a friend in FL that buys it premixed. It's the only kind she'll use because she's afraid to mix it herself.. I can't remember where she gets it, but I guess there are places that do sell it that way still... 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...