Wax type in a couple big name companies

i feel like it has more to do with the amount of fragrance and dye that they use each batch, I have seen variations. one batch will be a solid rich color and then the next batch of the same fragrance will have that mottled look. It also varies from scent to scent as well within Yanks line of jar candles. 

I would think they HAVE to be using additives of some kind for increased fragrance retension, the way it burns, uv stabalizer, etc.

I just dont know what it is they are donig with their blends.

What is most curious to me is how their wax is so hard to the touch.. (thick rock candy is what it reminds me of), yet it still forms a good MP quickly

with good HT and works well in containers.

Those additives are likely part of the "fragrance" ingredient. Like the stuff used in laundry products, you know  where a cap full is all it takes to make the scent stick, linger for weeks or even months on a load of clothes and be smellable from yards away...we don't have access to those on the non-commercial market (yet). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/29/2016 at 10:42 AM, TallTayl said:

Those additives are likely part of the "fragrance" ingredient. Like the stuff used in laundry products, you know  where a cap full is all it takes to make the scent stick, linger for weeks or even months on a load of clothes and be smellable from yards away...we don't have access to those on the non-commercial market (yet). 

Any thoughts on how to gain access to those ingredients?

• 3 years later...
On 12/27/2016 at 11:12 AM, Flicker said:

Yankee is using most likely a straight paraffin with no additives based on it's appearance. I got the identical look using IGI 1343 or IGI 2281 with no additives.

Hopefully you are still checking into this forum. I have been messing with the 2281 recently and am having a heck of a time trying to get a good looking mottling effect with this wax. Its hit and miss for me, and when I do get mottling I also get the worst wet spots. Would appreciate any advice you can give me on this wax, I really would like to make it work. Thanks.

On 12/27/2016 at 2:53 PM, TallTayl said:

I watched an episode of a "how it's made" type of show about yankee. They have silos filled with liquid paraffin plus solid paraffin. They blend something themselves...

"They have silos filled with liquid paraffin plus solid paraffin." Wow, that's mind blowing.  😵  Makes sense, just never thought about it. LOL

Edited by Laura C

Well thanks to the covid-19 I was able to finally figure out my problem with 2281.  When adding 12% of a combination of FO and mineral oil ( all instructions said 8% combination, but it only created snow balls) I was finally able to duplicate the mottling of igi 1286 mottling wax with my 2281 base wax. This is probably what Yankee does with their own formula. Haven't burned it yet but I can say that my 1286 will also burn like Yankee with no mushrooms since there are no additives at all in this wax. I always trim before burning and have not tried to not trim the wick yet. I guess I will have to give it a  try.

The one benefit I love about the mottled container candles is that even though they do get wet spots, you don't really notice them because the mottling kinda camouflages them. I also added some vybar 260 to my 1286 mottling wax to see what that did, and I think it turned out great. To me it looked like a rustic non mottling wax. It wasn't glossy like most container wax but it did look good with the mat finish and the colors were deep. Normally this is mottled with bubbles everywhere. Here is the pic of it.

IMG_4461.JPG