First Candle & First Test

So i was able to patiently wait 2 weeks to burn my first candle. I am looking for any feedback (good or bad). It is Frankincense & Myrrh from CandleScience at 7% with gb464, an ECO14 wick in an 8oz tin.

PreBurn.jpgpre burn

1HR.jpg

1 hr

2HR.jpg

2 hrs

3HR.jpg

3hrs

PostBurn.jpg

post burn

Sorry for the quality, my regular camera has dead batteries. Had to use cell phone.

Is yhat an 8oz or 16oz tin?  If the 16oz you may want to wick down. It looks as though you achieved a full melt pool in the first few hours of burn, which isnt something you usually aim for. This only means the further down you go in your container the hotter it will get making the candle burn faster and hotter than it prob should. Just my 2 cents tho :D

How long was that burning in each photo?

Frankincense and Myrrh I usually have to wick UP about 2 sizes for in my wax. In a tin that size an ECO8 is my normal go to if not using CD wicks. ECO10 I use for really hard to burn heavy fragrances. Watch on your second or third burn, that is where things really heat up!

• Like 1

i think i would do a tester with the eco 8s or 10s just to see what the difference is. I find that with the candle science suggestions I tend to need to wick down. I do power burns and want to make sure that my containers don't get too hot when i have  them burning all day long ( that's how i assume other people will be burning their candles)

I use the eco10s for the 8oz square mason jars if that give any reference at all (i use GB 444 though)

Edited by Siren12
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, NavyVet said:

I am going to give the Eco 10 a try and see what happens. I have about 11 more candles to test (all different scents).

Yeah but you want to nail it for each scent so do you have F&M wicked in other sizes? 

On the note about one hour burns and you don't want the tin to heat up ... it's going to and if you are selling or planning to, your customers won't burn like you burn. 

• Like 1

I've been told that the tins will get hotter than a glass jar and that smaller wicks should be used to compensate for the metal.  If this is true, and an ECO-10 is used successfully in an 8-oz. glass jar of similar diameter, then my guess (based on what I've been told about the metal/heat issue) is that the tin may be best with the next size down or so.  Since I don't use these wicks, I'm not sure, but I'd like to try them someday, so I'm learning through your experiments, NavyVet, I hope you don't mind!  I'm not sure if I'm correct in this assumption, but if a smaller wick will work well, it would make for a longer burning candle, something customers really do notice.

You have a good point birdcharm. I may have to get eco-8 to test. I really want to make the best candle possible by my own standards and what I would like to see when I buy a candle. I know a longer burning candle would be a huge benefit.

Edited by NavyVet

So, I did another 3 hour burn. The second burn only created a 2 1/4" wax pool in a 3" wide tin. The first burn created almost a full wax pool. The second burn is more of what I expected to happen for the first burn. Is it normal for the second burn to have a smaller wax pool than the first?