Wick issues 16oz ball mason jar

I originally tested ECO 8 and Eco 10 wicks in my 16oz ball mason jars. The eco 8 looks like it's going to go out the entire time. The eco 10 was great so I started using that.

In my latest batch the wicks smoke terribly, I am getting tons of mushrooming and the edges of my jar are turning black. This didn't happen at first. The flame is huge and flickers a lot, I have a huge melt pool as well.

I am using coconut 83 wax that has a low melt point I think around 120-130 degrees. Every chart I've read online says to use the Eco 10 or larger but it's hard to find any info on coconut blends. Everything is tested in pure soy. 

Can someone suggest a wick that would be slightly smaller than an eco 10 but larger than an eco 8? Or maybe better for coconut wax?

The only thing that has changed since my lest testing was I started using Vybar, could this be the issue?

Edited by Fluffysparkles

I've never used the ECO wicks before or coconut wax, but I'd like to try that wax! 

Here's a graph of the differences with the ECO wicks: ECO info

For instance, I've been using a square braid cotton #2 with GW464 in a 6 oz. Ball jar and it's burning nicely.  I should experiment with some other wicks in that container too.

When I compare, for instance, the #2 graph (here) to the ECO graph, it looks as though the ECO 8 & 10 have a higher ROC (rate of combustion) as well as flame height than the #2, which makes me wonder if those ECO's are too big.  You can see the various graphs of many wick types on that site.

• Like 1

Many suppliers offer test kits for wicks, you could try afew different types along with the ECO. 

I use Eco wicks with GB 444 soy, you could try to double wick the container with maybe eco 2's? I feel like birdcharm maybe correct though, I believe coconut is quite a bit softer than soy so if you have a test kit i would keep going down in size on the ECO wicks, the wick maybe too hot and is actually drowning its self by creating the melt pool too quickly and is just tunneling down? I would maybe try an Eco 4 or 6. 

Candlescience sells a test kit of wick sizes. 

On 11/29/2016 at 7:40 PM, Fluffysparkles said:

The only thing that has changed since my lest testing was I started using Vybar, could this be the issue?

Any change to the wax formulation can cause the burn change.

were the wicks all from the same supplier &a shipment? I have had different burns from wicks purchased from different sources. 

I would definitely get a few diferent wick series test test packs and go to town. None of the wickcharts will matter, really, as they were made using paraffin wax, not coconut or even soy. They are a guideline only.

• Like 1

Okay thank you. I've tested a few more of my candles and it seems like there's no rhyme or reason to it. Some burn fine with the 10  some still burn like crazy with an 8. It's driving me nuts and it seems like there's so much variation between scents. If I have to test multiple wicks with every single scet I have I'm going to waste so much money :-(

I think once you get used to the coconut wax and a type/size of wicks/containers, you'll be able to rely on certain combinations.  It's good to test any new combo so you know for sure how it's going to burn, but you don't have to fill the container all the way for those tests, imo.

• 9 months later...