Supplier flaked out on me. Looking for replacements.

Made By Missy M

Hi all! First time posting. Happy to be here!

Anyways, I had 3 main suppliers that I have used over the past 15 years.

Last week while replenishing my oils, I placed an order with one of my suppliers and she informed me that she only had a little bit of some of the fragrances I needed and she didn't think she would be getting more in.

This supplier had about 1/3 of my current scents, so I had to scramble to find replacements from my other 2 suppliers.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

I can't say I didn't see it coming because the last 3 times I ordered, there was always 2 or 3 out of stock and I got "I don't know when it will be in".

Edited by Made By Missy M

Guest OldGlory

Happens with regularity.

I would suggest that you go back thru the old posts in the category and see if there are any 'twins' for what you are using (since you didn't mention supplier names). If someone suggests one FO as a replacement for another FO, consider it a loose interpretation because everyone's sense of smell is different.

But, as many of us have learned, the only way to find replacements is to order samples from a number of suppliers and test them side by side. You don't really get the information you need on someone's recommendation. It gets expensive!

It was a supplier from Indiana......I was quite disappointed because I had just ordered a bunch of samples, and had I known she wasn't going to get anymore in, I wouldn't have even tried them out. I have been able to make some close replacements with my other 2 suppliers, but it was just the mess of having to go through all that which disappointed me. Especially at THIS time of year.

Yes, that is correct. I have been able to replace everything except for Serendipity. I went with a regular Zucchini Bread and made my own Cranberry Zucchini Bread and I was able to find an Orange Chiffon Cake that is very similar. There were several others as well that I found comparable, if not even better, replacements for.

1 hour ago, Made By Missy M said:

Yes, that is correct. I have been able to replace everything except for Serendipity. I went with a regular Zucchini Bread and made my own Cranberry Zucchini Bread and I was able to find an Orange Chiffon Cake that is very similar. There were several others as well that I found comparable, if not even better, replacements for.

I might have about 2 oz of Indianna's Orange Chiffon cake I think I have it on my list of oils Im selling & her cookie dough I think I have 4 oz ??? She's not going out of business right - just low on FO?

It's not out of stock. I'm just replacing all of her scents that I currently carry.

The last 4 times I ordered, she was out of at least 2 scents, so I had to cut my order short and re order when it came in.

Of course this means paying shipping again.

The last time this happened, I just had to give up and find replacements for all of her scents that I carry.

I have to be able to place an order and know that I'm going to be able to get what I need.

11 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

I just went on Indianna Candle Supply  site + I don't see where it says the Orange Chiffon Cake is out of stock ? Did I misunderstand you about the company ? 

OCC was available, it was several others that were not.

She won't tell you anything is out of stock until a day or two after your order is placed. I can't work like that.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Made By Missy M said:

OCC was available, it was several others that were not.

She won't tell you anything is out of stock until a day or two after your order is placed. I can't work like that.

That's horrible ! Is your money promptly returned ? May I ask what's out of stock as you know it 

So it's Indiana Candle Supply we are talking about? Hmmmm...I order from her all the time and I have never had a problem with anything or out of stock things....and all her oils have always been very good for me....some of them really exceptional like apple strudel.

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Trappeur said:

So it's Indiana Candle Supply we are talking about? Hmmmm...I order from her all the time and I have never had a problem with anything or out of stock things....and all her oils have always been very good for me....some of them really exceptional like apple strudel.

Trappeur

Yes, they were for me too, until I couldn't get what I needed. She has VERY good oils. My most favorites were Cranberry Zucchini Bread, Serendipity and April Fresh. She said she wasn't going to carry the April Fresh anymore, but I see it's back...... I already made a replacement for that.

Oh, my...I just got an order from them. All good and even faster shipping than in the past. I hope they are are having inventory shortages due to popularity and that they are stying around!  What will I do without Cranberry Zucchini??

Between Peak's inventory problems, Tennessee disappearing, and now questions about Indiana Candle Supply, I am now glad that I use 20+ suppliers instead of just a few. When I started, I just wanted to have a few suppliers but now it may be a blessing in disguise to have so many!

Edited by maryta

I have an order in my shopping cart for Indiana but yesterday I wrote a quick message to her telling her I was getting ready to place an order and just wanted to check to find out if she by chance was going out of business and she said "no" and asked me to please let everyone know that....I said of course no problem.  So maybe she is just very busy this time of the year like everyone else is.

Trappeur

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Trappeur said:

I have an order in my shopping cart for Indiana but yesterday I wrote a quick message to her telling her I was getting ready to place an order and just wanted to check to find out if she by chance was going out of business and she said "no" and asked me to please let everyone know that....I said of course no problem.  So maybe she is just very busy this time of the year like everyone else is.

Trappeur

Thank you for asking! The more I test from Indiana, the more things I add to my line. I am short on bakery and they've got a lot!

13 hours ago, maryta said:

Between Peak's inventory problems, Tennessee disappearing, and now questions about Indiana Candle Supply, I am now glad that I use 20+ suppliers instead of just a few. When I started, I just wanted to have a few suppliers but now it may be a blessing in disguise to have so many!

Ive never tried the Cranberry Zucchini bread - its that nice hugh ? Is it strong in soy ? How bout the Carmel Nut Cluster has any one tried that - its consistantly 

on the best seller list. Next time around Im going to try the Birthday cake too. That too is on the best seller list. I love her Lemon Icebox cookies !

On 11/1/2016 at 1:31 PM, Made By Missy M said:

Serendipity from JS is exactly the same and so is the one from FB in my opinion.