Thinking of offering just 1 scent...

bfroberts

I know that sounds odd.  Our primary business is lodging in a tourist area of WV.  I sell soap, candles and clamshells in our office/store.  I currently have a standard product line, and I just mix it up by adding a few seasonal scents.  I do not sell high volume.  A dozen or so of each product per week, usually, and I have 20 or so customers who place big orders several times per year.  Mostly my products are sold to men who want to take home a souvenir for their wife/mother/girlfriend that isn't a typical tourist issue t-shirt.  I sell just enough to keep me in product for free, basically.  Fuel for the addiction, so to speak.

With that in mind, I was thinking that maybe I'm going about it wrong.  Instead of offering 10-12 scents at any one given time, maybe I should just cut back to one, and make that one our signature scent.  Since we are in WV, and people tend to want something that is regional when buying a souvenir, I thought of making that signature scent Apple Pie Moonshine.  I choose that one because half the people we see for the first time ask where they can go buy some 'shine.  Apparently there's an association there.  I don't know.  I'm not a drinker.  It just so happens that I have the perfect fragrance for Apple Pie Moonshine, it's a powerhouse performer, and it has wide appeal.

I thought I could revamp my standard label, take my candle company name off and create a label that has our main business name....I don't know the specifics really.  Just make it "our" candle/scent.  I think it would sell better to those men that are buying them for the ladies back home.  Souvenirs are about where you've been, right, so it makes sense in my mind,  Kinda.  I'm mulling it over and looking for any thoughts, ideas? 

Thanks!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

Hmmmm.....it's good to know I am not totally nuts.  But yikes!  I have no idea where to begin with the branding.  I usually create my own labels but designing the right label for this might be beyond my capabilities.

I bet you are closer than you think already... Does not need to be fancy at ALL. just needs to fit your style.

the hardest part is already done, isn't it? Products. Packaging. Company name.

• Like 1

I think it could definitely work....many people get overwhelmed anyways with too many choices and if it's mostly men taking something back to the wife.... easy peasy for them and so simple and cost effective for you 

branding....do you use the Mason's moonshine usually comes in?  I would go old stained paper labeling or brown Kraft and use a old font and maybe a hang tag with a catchy logo

I loved watching the show moonshiners, probably could get some good ideas spinning watching a few episodes 

• Like 2

Without knowing your brand here is a little idea using a chalkboard background but a stained paper one would look real good also 

add your name- logo and a graphic.....

square label on a mason jar with a rusty lid...

now why can't I ever think of ideas for myself- lol

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Thank you.  I have been using square masons.  I'm not sure that is the best option for these which is unfortunate since I have dozens.  I usually do 8 and 16 oz.  Moonshine comes in quarts.  Oh goodness.  I had not thought of that little particular.  I thought this was going to be easy.....lol.

I think you could get away with your 8 and 16 ounces- the look fits for sure and 

square labels come in small and large 

here is a picture of the brand my son has....and for candles people may want a smaller one and the 16 ounces is definitely a good size for a larger one 

image.jpeg

• Like 5

What do you guys think of this label?  It's just a rough draft.  Some of the fonts are wrong, because I think I will be using the font moonshine used for most of the text, and I obviously need to straighten things up.

This will be on the jar lid.  I think we will leave the front of the jar unlabeled and attach a hangtag.

previewwicked.png

Edited by bfroberts
  • Like 6

Actually, I love your idea ! - especially for your type of business. Is the moon your campground logo ? Now Im curious, is there a FO called Applepie Moonshine

or one that you blend - sounds awesome ! Plus, Moonshine is right, people do get overwhelmed with too many choices. You said its mostly guys buying for 

wife -GF etc + guys just don't like shopping + so many choices. Which BTW theres something to be said for that ! I really do like your idea. Actually, I was 

looking through my cabinet thinking WTH am I going to do with these oils - sigh :( There are many Etsy + online shops that only offer 5- 6 scents year 

round + they do a killer business. I for one love your idea and your logo/label - great job ! Are you doing jars or tins - sorry if i missed it .

Edited by Moonstar
  • Like 2

I can't take credit for that labeling if your referring to the moonshine bottle-  that is an actual picture of the Moonshine my son drinks that sits on his dresser :rolleyes: :icon_tiptoe::whistling:

LOL

I posted it for ideas on making the candle to look like a real Moonshine bottle-  the other one with the black chalkboard I did play with fonts on that one

bfroberts-  I like the label and the hang tag idea, post a picture when your complete, I would like to see it with a label on the lid as opposed to a square one on the jar

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, moonshine said:

I can't take credit for that labeling if your referring to the moonshine bottle-  that is an actual picture of the Moonshine my son drinks that sits on his dresser :rolleyes: :icon_tiptoe::whistling:

LOL

I posted it for ideas on making the candle to look like a real Moonshine bottle-  the other one with the black chalkboard I did play with fonts on that one

bfroberts-  I like the label and the hang tag idea, post a picture when your complete, I would like to see it with a label on the lid as opposed to a square one on the jar

Yeah right - on your sons dresser LMBO !!!! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moonstar said:

Actually, I love your idea ! - especially for your type of business. Is the moon your campground logo ? Now Im curious, is there a FO called Applepie Moonshine

or one that you blend - sounds awesome ! Plus, Moonshine is right, people do get overwhelmed with too many choices. You said its mostly guys buying for 

wife -GF etc + guys just don't like shopping + so many choices. Which BTW theres something to be said for that ! I really do like your idea. Actually, I was 

looking through my cabinet thinking WTH am I going to do with these oils - sigh :( There are many Etsy + online shops that only offer 5- 6 scents year 

round + they do a killer business. I for one love your idea and your logo/label - great job ! Are you doing jars or tins - sorry if i missed it .

The moon doesn't tie into our current logo, but we recently had new graphics done, and when we eventually get everything transitioned, it will all work together.  Hopefully we'll have everything switched over by the beginning of the 2017 season.

I was thinking of doing the Ball canning jars.  They seem more moonshine-ish to me.  Because they have "Ball" on the front, I thought a label on the lid and a hang tag would be better.  I'm sure I will change my mind before it's all over. 

The scent is a very simple 2 part blend I came up with that really does smell just like apple pie moonshine.  I kinda lucked into it and thought...whoa, this is just what I've been looking for! 
I have too many oils too.  Things I love, but they don't sell.  Things that sell ok-ish, but I dont love.  Things I never should have bought to begin with.  LOL  I guess we all have that problem. 

• Like 4

Moonstar 

start making those chunk melts Puma shared with those FO's to use them up

they are fun to make and exciting to see how the scent combos come out 

January my goal is to use ALL my 1 ouncers sitting around along with scents I don't use anymore and bag them up to find new homes!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bfroberts said:

Uh oh.  That's a heck of an idea!  Wonder what the price is on those.  Off to look :)

Do you have a Michaels or Hobby Lobby near you - Ive seen them there or what about your local big chain grocery store . Ive asked the manager if they can 

order extra of such + such before and he did and theres no shipping on your end. Same goes for Michaels + HL .... Ive talked to the manager before to see if 

they'd give me a discount on a larger purchase, typically they're really good about that. Doesn't hurt to try . Cant wait to see your creation :) 

23 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Moonstar 

start making those chunk melts Puma shared with those FO's to use them up

they are fun to make and exciting to see how the scent combos come out 

January my goal is to use ALL my 1 ouncers sitting around along with scents I don't use anymore and bag them up to find new homes!  

excellent idea ! What do you think would be good waxes to use for that - I believe Puma uses paraffin ???? Hope she sees this post + chimes in :)