Bird safe candles and melts

I have been asked a question I never came across before .....are my candles and melts safe for birds 

I guess there is a whole community out there in my area that are avid bird lovers and have many birds but they can't burn candles because their respiratory systems are so fragile 

I never had birds before so of course I told her I can't make that claim they would safe....she asked if I could maybe come up with a natural melt for warmers to be able to use adding subtle scent 

I am kind of thinking I need to stay away from this one I don't want to be responsible for killing birds 

I did some research that claims beeswax is okay but as far as adding scent......anyone out there have birds or suggestions or thoughts / opinions on this one?? Tia 

• Like 2

I keep indoor budgies and so far have not had trouble with beeswax or soy using non metal wicks. Several bird owners buy my Unscented and scented beeswax and have for years.

I read various wicks are not healthy for birds, but need to review to write the correct ones, kinda like Teflon pans are a no-no with birds. When in doubt, pass on the sale is my motto. 

• Like 1

Boy that one would be a tough one to handle, that is for sure.  I would have to pass on that one....like you said Moonshine.

I would feel horrible just like you said if I was the cause for a death of an animal...

Trappeur

• Like 1

That's what I am thinking ....I don't want that on my shoulders, I love animals and would never forgive myself 

the way she is asking me to figure it out if it's safe makes me uncomfortable - had she said could you make me some beeswax unscented melts and called it a day I would have gladly obliged 

I however do not make beeswax candles but a melt wouldn't be to hard to figure out 

Thanks Trapp and Talltayl

• Like 1

I agree with Talltayl... When in doubt, pass. You never know + You would feel horrible in the unforeseen event something bad would happen.

Without going into details, not long ago I had a friend who bought a food item from a Farmers Market + blamed the maker when Im nearly 

certain that it was a coincidence. She made more of a deal than needed + made a HUGE deal about +  I felt bad for both of them :) 

• Like 1

And in this short period of time I read conflicting info on EO With birds- some say a couple are beneficial and others say absolutely not and to not even use room spray or gas ovens!

And here is the thing - I have used EO on my horses BUT I did the research, took classes and they were MY horses that I was responsible for not someone else's 

It couldn't of worked out more beatiful in healing them and my friend begged me to let her use some products on her horses and I did because she was a friend and she took rescues from same place I did with the same issues, and then I had so many other horse people wanting me to make stuff for them to buy but I wouldn't do any other than the ear potion and fly spray and only for those people I knew   - I won't take those chances if someone abuses the product or if a horse is sensitive and has a issue with it .....so I guess I don't know why I even considered this 

23 minutes ago, moonshine said:

I could just see the headlines now......chandler responsible for dozens of bird deaths ?

I am passing 

Omg you sound like me ! I always say that or you'll see me on Channel 4 news " psycho mom 

& her autistic son ---- lmao ?? 

20 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I keep indoor budgies and so far have not had trouble with beeswax or soy using non metal wicks. Several bird owners buy my Unscented and scented beeswax and have for years.

I read various wicks are not healthy for birds, but need to review to write the correct ones, kinda like Teflon pans are a no-no with birds. When in doubt, pass on the sale is my motto. 

Teflon pans ? Who would of ever thought ! See, your a walking encyclopedia lol ! Years ago I got a finch + sadly after 3 days I had to return the bird.

I literally felt like I was choking. My dr said many people are allergic to the mites ??? they have under their wings + other things that Ill spare you lol ! 

I honestly had no idea how fragile birds are. Does the teflon apply to all birds - you can't use teflon pans then ??? Interesting .

I think they are phasing out Teflon altogether, I forget when it won't be manufactured/sold anymore, but it seems that I read that they are no longer going to make it.  From what I understand, if you heat the Teflon pan without anything in it, there is a chemical that is released that affects birds.  I never read anything about pet birds and fragrance oils.  However, something I did recently read had to do with cinnamon essential oil in a reed diffuser that someone's cat knocked over, spilling the e/o and walking into it, having burns on its paws and had to be taken to the vet with a long recovery afterward, losing all hair on legs, with blisters where the e/o got on it.  A good reason to always have a warning on anything like that saying keep out of reach of children and pets.