Thick, creamy Soap Base. Need help

Clear Black

Im trying to duplicate this base: http://www.voyageursoapandcandle.com/Natural_Cream_Soap_Base_p/40400.htm  as I think it will fit my needs for next project, but its a bit expensive and I can only find it in Canada. Does anyone know a more local (USA) vendor that makes a similar thick, creamy type soap base? I dont know much about soap making yet but id love to learn how to make a really thick, pasty base. I work with my hands a lot and need a "mechanics soap" with walnut shells. 

The description of this base goes as follows: 

We manufacture this beautiful creamy soap with a unique soapmaking technique that is a blend of natural cold process and liquid soap making. The result is a natural cream soap that is a wonderful cleansing base that is both gentle and moisturizing and a great base for use in making luxurious facial soaps, natural shaving creams, gardeners and mechanics hand cleaners and more. 

A 100% natural cream soap manufactured using traditional soap making methods.

Product consistency is thick and creamy but can be made thinner to suit your product needs by adding additional water, floral hydrosols, liquid extracts, etc.

Technical Specs:

Ingredients: Aqua (Purified Water), Stearic Acid, Glycerin, Saponified Olive Oil, Saponified Coconut Oil, and boric acid (natural thickener)

NOTE: This Cream Soap base uses boric acid as a natural pH adjuster and thickener, but as per Health Canada regulations it fully complies with labelling requirements based on maximum usage levels and is only in the product at below .1%. As such, no cautions to not be used on broken skin etc. are required on the label.

Any info on how to make this or a US supplier of a similar product please please!!! HALP lol 

That is an incomplete ingredient list (saponified olive for instance is not INCI format I hate when suppliers do that). They most likely use KOH as the caustic, as opposed to NaOH. This makes it possible to dilute into a liquid soap. it is also possible they used a combo of KOH and NaOH, but I doubt it. I make a paste like that for shavi soap. It is an amazing product to work with and use,

Liquid soap paste is pretty easy to make actually. That one is just olive and coconut oils.the stearic acid is a thickener in that blend that also gives the opacity. In a crock pot, that base takes maybe an hour to make. It is one of the next things I want to share with this community, actually. 

If you buy other soap bases, like from Brambleberry, you can pearlize with other simple ingredients. 

• Like 3

Looking at the description again, it could be a "cream soap" with that stearic in such a high prominence in the ingredient list. That is more of a challenge to make, and usually requires preservatives which are not listed in their ingredient list. 

I found I could make a cream soap like product using liquid soap paste and cold process soap. Heat together, whip and enjoy. I have made actual cream soap using formulations from the yahoo group dedicated to cream soap, but did not find the appeal in the arduous process :-/

16 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Can't wait for you to share that ?

<hijack>

Me neither! Planning a series just for that... The first time I made liquid soap I had to really girder up for days before the anticipated event. When all was done I was like, "is that it?" 

The real fun came after, when diluting, using fragrance, blending, etc. you will LOVE it. 

</hijack>

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

That is an incomplete ingredient list (saponified olive for instance is not INCI format I hate when suppliers do that). They most likely use KOH as the caustic, as opposed to NaOH. This makes it possible to dilute into a liquid soap. it is also possible they used a combo of KOH and NaOH, but I doubt it. I make a paste like that for shavi soap. It is an amazing product to work with and use,

Liquid soap paste is pretty easy to make actually. That one is just olive and coconut oils.the stearic acid is a thickener in that blend that also gives the opacity. In a crock pot, that base takes maybe an hour to make. It is one of the next things I want to share with this community, actually. 

If you buy other soap bases, like from Brambleberry, you can pearlize with other simple ingredients. 

Dang, I have no idea what you just said lol. I have zero soap making experience so I will have to get my ring and decode what you just spoke about.

All I am trying to do is basically make a really thick "paste" comprised of whatever base plus walnut shells, and a bit of D-limonene as a de-greaser. The best way I can describe it is to link the item Im trying to duplicate, although I doubt many of you have ever used it seeing as its mainly a bathroom staple in mainly mechanics shops, warehouses.

http://www.zepdistribution.com/product/zepprofessional/walnut-paste-industrial-hand-cleaner-with-scrubbing-shells

Edited by Clear Black

Honestly, the best degreasing soap I have ever used is simple coconut oil soap-either bar or liquid. Super cheap to make too. I use it for everything from laundry to kitchen to bath to an add limonene, pumice, shells, whatever you like. 

I wish that ZEP stuff had an ingredient list. It's not exactly cheap.

PM a shipping address to me and I'll put a sample in the mail to you :)

I look forward to this.

Not adding B&B to my line but for me to use. I have such sensitive skin and I prefer liquid soap.

I currently use a baby wash or a liquid castille.

I put some castille in a small bottle and added just a touch of an FO that I use for wax that is body safe and I created a bottle of water! HA!

It lathers fine but I'd love to make something for myself that was thicker. 

Snowdrift Farms formulary has some instructions and recipes for making cream soap. I've always wanted to make some and liquid soap too! So far I haven't had time to try it. http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/formulary.html

I was so hoping someone would sign up on the SOTM thread to do a cream soap and also a liquid soap. I would love to have more recipes here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Candybee said:

Snowdrift Farms formulary has some instructions and recipes for making cream soap. I've always wanted to make some and liquid soap too! So far I haven't had time to try it. http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/formulary.html

I was so hoping someone would sign up on the SOTM thread to do a cream soap and also a liquid soap. I would love to have more recipes here.

Can you link more specificaly where the instructions and/or recipes are? All that link does is link me to more links for online retailers

1 hour ago, justajesuschick said:

I look forward to this.

Not adding B&B to my line but for me to use. I have such sensitive skin and I prefer liquid soap.

I currently use a baby wash or a liquid castille.

I put some castille in a small bottle and added just a touch of an FO that I use for wax that is body safe and I created a bottle of water! HA!

It lathers fine but I'd love to make something for myself that was thicker. 

Yeah, that is a huge frustration with liquid soap. Fragrances like lavender can gel it up in a wink. Citrus makes it watery thin! Science!

Now that I know my "result", I can try it in a foaming bottle. 

Good news is that my skin tolerated the scent (a Philosophy dupe) and I know the soap itself is not an irritant.

Fragrance free skin products make me sad but my skin stays happy! 

Hoping to get to have some good smelling body goodies on occasion.

Nature's Garden Candles and Wholesale Supplies Plus carry a foaming soap base.  I've used it and it's pretty nice. It's thick and creamy and whips up pretty nicely.   I make a pumice scrub with it and some other ingredients.

Edited by Shari

14 hours ago, Clear Black said:

Can you link more specificaly where the instructions and/or recipes are? All that link does is link me to more links for online retailers

Will try this again:

http://web.archive.org/web/20110716100633/http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/formulary.html

This website is an archive the owners kindly left up when they closed their shop. You can scroll down to the recipes for cream soap and click on that. But they also have all kinds of archived B&B recipes.

Edited by Candybee

On 9/12/2016 at 5:19 PM, Clear Black said:

Let me take a shot in the dark here... Are you basically looking for Goop or Gojo or do you specifically want a specialty cream/liquid soap? 

Goop and Gojo I can make all day long with just some mineral spirits and detergent. (We've used kerosene, diesel, gasoline, turpentine, orange oil, nothing too aromatic though)

I'm not really sure what the ratio is, because it's always just been kind put some detergent in a bucket put the paint stirrer in, add a splash of water and very slowly add mineral spirits until it gels. You could throw in some pumice or sand, (walnut shells..?) if you wanted an abrasive. I guesstimate it is about 1:1 Detergent:Solvent, (maybe 60/40) and you only want just enough water to get it to "kick" and gel. 

HTH.

Sponie