Shipping Questions

I wasn't quite sure where to put this topic, so if you need to move it I totally understand.

Many things have changed since I started candle making in 2000 including the cost of having our supplies shipped to us. Then I was away from it for 5 years. If I remember correctly it was calculated basically just by weight at one time? I might be wrong but I thought that's how it was done back in the day.....lol  

I just placed two orders recently, they were both suppliers in Texas. One was mostly fragrance oils, a few jars and 100 wicks......weight was 13 pounds, shipping was $34.35. The other order was only jars....weight was 44 pounds and the shipping was $26.90. I know Texas is a big state but I'm totally confused. Can someone please clarify for me as to how it is calculated.....Thank you! 

I sure wish I understood it myself. I live in Texas and the shipping from Lone Star is as high as the shipping from Peak's and I'm only about 31/2 hours from Lone Star.  I had wax and FO's in my cart from another company and the shipping was sky high so I got it from Flaming and it was almost 2/3's cheaper. They are both out of state from me but still! I don't get it either.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Belinda said:

I sure wish I understood it myself. I live in Texas and the shipping from Lone Star is as high as the shipping from Peak's and I'm only about 31/2 hours from Lone Star.  I had wax and FO's in my cart from another company and the shipping was sky high so I got it from Flaming and it was almost 2/3's cheaper. They are both out of state from me but still! I don't get it either.

Lol! At least I'm not the only one! Maybe someone can help enlighten us, thanks Belinda :)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Belinda said:

Gail, do you live in Texas? I'm about 50-60 miles north of Houston.

I'm in North Dakota now I moved here in 2011 from my hometown in Illinois. Illinois was pretty centrally located to a lot of the suppliers. I really did expect to pay more for shipping here but it's quite a bit more. I guess what surprised me most was the the 44 pound order was $7.45 cheaper than the 13 pound box...... so evidently weight has nothing to do with it? Lol! ??

some just have better negotiated shipping rate contracts with the carriers. Some try to offset lower listed retail prices with inflated shipping. Some pack orders in multiple boxes (wax separate from glass) forcing two shipping boxes into the quote. It can be a crap shoot.

I have played the shopping cart game and figured out the most economical for what I use. Just remember it for next time, lol. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

some just have better negotiated shipping rate contracts with the carriers. Some try to offset lower listed retail prices with inflated shipping. Some pack orders in multiple boxes (wax separate from glass) forcing two shipping boxes into the quote. It can be a crap shoot.

I have played the shopping cart game and figured out the most economical for what I use. Just remember it for next time, lol. 

The bad thing now is that the higher priced shipping place carries the jars I have decided to use for the Western line of candles! Lol! I guess we are all in the same boat with this, we need our supplies! Thank you TallTayl:)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Whenever I need new supplies I shop around for the best shipping prices. It can vary a lot from one supplier to the next. I hate that I have to waste time shopping for the best price but often that's what it boils down to.

I suppose that's what I will be doing Candybee, thank you:)

Hi I live in Fl and am wondering if there is a bulk supplier around here somewhere for the heavy stuff I have searched and searched !  For ordering like bulk wax or containers !  Priced out Filmore container (which does not have my 2 oz status jars ) but then it is almost exactly the same price just to order it a Candle Science where I can get my status jars as well ! The price just seems high $60 for $100 in containers of course rhey are glass and therefore heavy ? If you all have any suggestions I would led be grateful ?

Talltayl that is a good question as for it is probably less than most of you if I want to order say 200 jars   and a case or 2 of wax as an example  it starts to get realy heavy therefore expensive to ship ! I think I was trying to order like 170 jars $100.and the shipping was like $60 that seems high its like adding 60% more to you cost of goods

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Kshaler said:

Talltayl that is a good question as for it is probably less than most of you if I want to order say 200 jars   and a case or 2 of wax as an example  it starts to get realy heavy therefore expensive to ship ! I think I was trying to order like 170 jars $100.and the shipping was like $60 that seems high its like adding 60% more to you cost of goods

Ok. I asked because bulk means very different things. To some it means 50lbs. To others it is 2,000 lbs.

You could try looking for LTL services. LTL=Less Than Load in trucking speak. It is pallet pricing. A pallet does not need to be full to travel,but can, sometimes, safe a little $. Sometimes not. Sometimes the extras like lift gate services can eat any savings. That is how I ship my drums of chemicals. My kiln came from the East Coast to Chicago for like $50. It pays to shop around. 

if you belong to HSCG check out the UPS offer (I think it is still there). I get decent rates through UPS, sometimes better than the retailer. 

i have used services like UShip.com too. Sometimes, depending on the distance, it can save a lot of time and money.