Mailing Fragrance oils?

Belinda

I'm not sure if this is where I need to post this but I'm trying to mail some FO's to a few people that bought from me and have never had this problem. My son went to drop them off at the Post Office and they're asking him if they're flammable. I printed out labels from USPS and have mailed them to people this way before with no problem. I know suppliers use USPS, UPS and FedEx and I also know that some oils will say "No USPS" but I have two boxes of 1 ounce samples and there's no way I could know which ones are flammable or not. How do any of you mail oils to other people. What do you say if they ask if they're flammable? 

Thanks!

It has to do with the flashpoint. I don't know the number, but any FO with a flashpoint below that magic number cannot ship USPS (or UPS air - only ground). As far as how to answer them, as long as all have flashpoints above the threshhold, I've always said 'No', they are not flammable (don't know if that is right, but I'm guessing that is the default if they don't ask).

Edited by Chronic_Sniffer

Thankfully, the post office in the next little town didn't ask!

I knew that some had a higher flashpoint than others but I had about 70 1 ounce bottles in two boxes so I could just see me taking out almost 150 bottles and checking the flashpoint of each one. LOL! That would take some time! Whew! I'm just so glad the other post office took them.

Thank you for the information though. I think the next time I'll check before I box them up. 

The flashpoint for shipping air is 200 and above. If its below 200 (which many FOs are) its illegal to ship by air. Since USPS ships by air many suppliers use UPS. Those that ship FOs under 200 by USPS are taking a risk. I would not recommend shipping any FOs with a flashpoint under 200  by air. It's just too risky.

Edited by Candybee

43 minutes ago, Candybee said:

The flashpoint for shipping air is 200 and above. If its below 200 (which many FOs are) its illegal to ship by air. Since USPS ships by air many suppliers use UPS. Those that ship FOs under 200 by USPS are taking a risk. I would not recommend shipping any FOs with a flashpoint under 200  by air. It's just too risky.

Not "exactly" according to USPS and the USDOT, but the 200F rule is an easy one to follow.

if classed as "flammable"  (<140F)it must ship ground.

If classed "combustible" (140-199) it can ship air domestic only.

In any event, you need to follow the packaging regulations for shipping.

343 Flammable and Combustible Liquids
(Hazard Class 3)

343.1 Definition

The terms used in the standards that apply to Hazard Class 3 are defined as follows:

Note: A liquid with a flashpoint above 200° F (93° C) is not regulated as a hazardous material and may be mailed subject to the general packaging requirements in DMM 601.1-7, provided it possesses no characteristics of another hazard class.

1. Flammable Liquid means a liquid that has a flashpoint of not more than 140° F (60° C), or any material in a liquid phase that has a flashpoint at or above 100° F (38° C).
  2. Combustible Liquid means any liquid that does not meet the definition of any other hazard class and has a flashpoint above 140° F (60° C) and below 200° F (93° C). A flammable liquid with a flashpoint at or above 100° F (38° C) that does not meet the definition of any other hazard class may be reclassified as a combustible liquid per 49 CFR 173.120(b).

343.2 Mailability and Packaging

343.21 Requirements for Flammable Liquids

The following conditions apply:

Exhibit 343.21 

Flammable Liquids

Flashpoint

Mailability

20° F (–7° C) or below

Not acceptable for mailing.

Above 20° F (–7° C)
but not more than 73° F (23° C)

Acceptable (with restrictions) for domestic mail via surface transportation only. Follow requirements for Packaging Instruction 3A in Appendix C, as applicable.

Above 73° F (23° C)
but less than 100° F (38° C)

Acceptable (with restrictions) for domestic mail via surface transportation only. Follow requirements for Packaging Instruction 3A in Appendix C, as applicable.

100° F (38° C) and up
to 140° F (60° C)

Acceptable (with restrictions) for domestic mail via surface transportation only. Follow requirements for Packaging Instruction 3A or 3B in Appendix C, as applicable.

Note: If the flashpoint is between 100° F (38° C)
and 140° F (60° C), the liquid may be eligible to
be reclassed as a combustible liquid.

Over 140° F (60° C)

See combustible liquids in 343.22. Follow requirements for Packaging Instruction 3A in
Appendix C.

1. International Mail. Flammable liquid is prohibited.
  2. Domestic Mail via Air Transportation. Flammable liquid is prohibited.
  3. Domestic Mail via Surface Transportation. Flammable liquid with a flashpoint of 20° F (–7° C) or below is prohibited. Other flammable liquid is permitted if the material can qualify as an ORM–D material and meet the criteria in Exhibit 343.21. A mailable flammable liquid must be prepared according to Packaging Instruction 3A in Appendix C, as applicable.
343.22 Requirements for Combustible Liquids

The following conditions apply:

1. International Mail. Combustible liquid is prohibited.
  2. Domestic Mail via Air Transportation. Combustible liquid is permitted if the material can qualify as a consumer commodity material and meet the criteria in Exhibit 343.22. Packaging Instruction 3B in Appendix C must be followed, as applicable.
  3. Domestic Mail via Surface Transportation. Combustible liquid is permitted if the material can qualify as a consumer commodity material (for air or surface), or ORM-D (for surface only), and meet the criteria in Exhibit 343.22. Packaging Instruction 3B in Appendix C must be followed, as applicable.

I was just going to post that exact page tall tayl!  I went thru this when I mailed out my oils from the classified Belinda.  In fact....I shippped yours ground too.  I ended up shipping one package priority because all the flashpoints on those bottles were noted....and above the usps threshold.    I printed this page out for future reference bacause I have a LOT more oils to sell too.

• Like 1

I guess I better ship UPS when I'm not sure then. I shipped all of those USPS today so I'm hoping all goes well. I've never had a problem before but you never know.

Now I'm going to be worried until they reach their destination safely!

Chances are your package will be fine Belinda =)

Those I cringe over are glass bottles shipped in a paper mailer :huh:. Yes, someone shipped Lime Essential Oil in the amber glass in one of those USPS letter Mailers. It took all of a minute for that to break and get all over everyone's mail. Many strikes on that one.

If people pack sensibly (tape lids shut with electrical tape, bag, use a big enoug box, tape all flaps... chances are it makes it. When I ship glass I usually double-box and make sure it passes the drop test several times. (3 foot drop onto concrete)

• Like 2

Thanks for clarifying that Talltayl. I have seen the 200 flashpoint rule on more than one suppliers site. So when you buy FOs from a candle/soap, etc. supplier you need to pay attention to their shipping rules because some won't ship USPS if the flashpoint is under 200.

3 hours ago, Candybee said:

Thanks for clarifying that Talltayl. I have seen the 200 flashpoint rule on more than one suppliers site. So when you buy FOs from a candle/soap, etc. supplier you need to pay attention to their shipping rules because some won't ship USPS if the flashpoint is under 200.

Exactly. This seems more like an internal policy and procedure to keep things easy for their busy warehouse/shipping staff. Too many variables make operations prone to error.  

I was on Aztec's and FB's websites last night and they still offer USPS even with oils that have a low flash point and that surprised me after reading through these posts. I ordered the 5 for $5 1 ounce bottles from Aztec and paid attention to the flash point and at least 2 had a very low flash point and they shipped them to me USPS.

I know that on JS's website she lists whether the oils can be shipped USPS or not. I'll  be more careful next time for sure!

Thank you all for your information!

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I have questions. Can you just ship all fragrance oils  UPS? The price between the USPS and UPS is similar. I had no idea there was a certain way we had to do it. Someone told me it matters. 

Fragrance oil’s  can be considered HAZMAT depending on flashpoint.

The regs for shipping HAZMAT - combustibles and flammables - are set at the federal level, so the same rules apply for usps as ups or FedEx, etc.

US DOT sets the standards for shipping combustible and flammable substances. 

the highlights:

The DOT defines Hazard Class 3, flammable liquid as a liquid with a flash point at or below 60°C (140°F). This must travel surface only. No air/priority. 

The DOT also regulates combustibles. Combustible liquids have flash points above 140°F and below 200°F.

all liquids must be packaged specifically to prevent leaks. I can look that up and post here if you haven’t stumbled on to it already on this forum 😊

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Fragrance oil’s  can be considered HAZMAT depending on flashpoint.

The regs for shipping HAZMAT - combustibles and flammables - are set at the federal level, so the same rules apply for usps as ups or FedEx, etc.

US DOT sets the standards for shipping combustible and flammable substances. 

the highlights:

The DOT defines Hazard Class 3, flammable liquid as a liquid with a flash point at or below 60°C (140°F). This must travel surface only. No air/priority. 

The DOT also regulates combustibles. Combustible liquids have flash points above 140°F and below 200°F.

all liquids must be packaged specifically to prevent leaks. I can look that up and post here if you haven’t stumbled on to it already on this forum 😊

Thank you this helps me out a lot.