And the "Good Grief" Award Goes to...

PhoenixFyre

...me! So I've been going mad trying to figure out what in the world is wrong with my melts. I've tried so many combos, so many fragrance loads, pouring temps...you name it. No matter what I did, the scent would only last for 6 to 8 hours total in my light bulb warmer. In my tealight warmers, the melts would do a bit better, but not in my bulb warmer.

So today, I finally decided enough was enough. It had to be the warmer, so I go to pull it apart and see what's happening. Wouldn't you know it...there was a 60 watt bulb in the warmer! I didn't know whether to cry from having wasted so much time testing with that bulb or laugh because it might mean my melts were okay after all.

Good grief.

• Like 5

I'm just slapping my forehead because I have read on this forum so many times about using a 25w bulb. When I first bought the warmer, I put in a little bulb I had around the house. I didn't realize little bulbs like that even came in 60w, lol. Lesson learned.

28 minutes ago, Darbla said:

Whew, I'm glad you didn't have a fire!  That's a lot of wattage on a small oil warmer.

I was thinking the same! A similar thought blazes through my mind when I read that people intentionally replace scentsy bulbs with higher wattage. Eek!

12 hours ago, Moonstar said:

What is the average watt on a wax melt burner ? 

I never found an actual answer, but tested a load of the most common bulb types. Of the bulb types, Scentsy wall mount (night light) are 15w, the table top was 20w (standard type bulb), the ones from Aldi market are 25w but have a hotter type of tiny (like Halogen form) bulb which throws more heat. This variation made testing fun :whistling:

then the plate types are out there, like Glade. Those are even hotter. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Darbla said:

Whew, I'm glad you didn't have a fire!  That's a lot of wattage on a small oil warmer.

I know! Trust me, my mind raced right after I discovered the wattage about what could have happened and my rear is bruised from how many times I kicked myself for being so careless and assuming the bulb was a lower wattage than it was. Glad God was looking out for my family.

I could definitely tell the difference today using a 25w bulb. Hopefully I can get on track now with my melt testing. Got to get a Scentsy warmer, too, to test my melts.

This was definitely a good shock to the system to remind me to be careful and to check EVERYTHING, lol.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PhoenixFyre said:

I know! Trust me, my mind raced right after I discovered the wattage about what could have happened and my rear is bruised from how many times I kicked myself for being so careless and assuming the bulb was a lower wattage than it was. Glad God was looking out for my family.

I could definitely tell the difference today using a 25w bulb. Hopefully I can get on track now with my melt testing. Got to get a Scentsy warmer, too, to test my melts.

This was definitely a good shock to the system to remind me to be careful and to check EVERYTHING, lol.

PhoenixFyre ... so what your saying is that the Scentsy 25 watt bulb type with the glass cup is most optimal for testing tarts ? Glad you got this figured 

out . I guess I just never thought different melters yielded different results. Thanks for posting this :) 

2 hours ago, Moonstar said:

PhoenixFyre ... so what your saying is that the Scentsy 25 watt bulb type with the glass cup is most optimal for testing tarts ? Glad you got this figured 

out . I guess I just never thought different melters yielded different results. Thanks for posting this :) 

Nope...I don't have a Scentsy warmer. Just saying I need to get one. I currently have a couple of ceramic tealight warmers and a bulb warmer with a metal dish that I test my melts in right now. I want to get a Scentsy warmer as well as other warmers just because it never hurts to see what melts do in each one.

I knew from reading this forum, though, that many people believe a 25w bulb to be good for bulb warmers because it won't burn off the scent as fast as a higher wattage...like in my case with a 60w, lol. I was saying I could see the difference in my bulb warmer with the 25w bulb versus the 60w bulb that I accidentally had in there.

• Like 1

I tried to find some 15W bulbs at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago.  That's recommended for some random oil warmer I have (I don't know the manufacturer).  When I finally found some, they're just slightly too big for the bowl of my warmer to fit back over it so I'm just using it for an unscented nightlight now.  It's difficult sometimes finding the right size for all these different things.  :(

• Like 2