Looking for Rose FO. Any recommendations?

bfroberts

Can someone recommend a good rose FO?  Preferably for candles and soap.  I like Rose from CS (not the Golden Rose) but the bottle I have isn't body safe, although I think it has been reformulated since I bought it.  I would appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks!

RE/AH has a Fresh Cut Roses that I think is very good and true smelling.  It is body safe but I only make candles so I can't tell you how it does in soap but it is the bomb in palm wax!

• Like 1

The best rose I ever used was Gypsy Rose by Moonworks. FB has a dupe of the MW version that is dead on. Its great for both soap and candles. I sell a lot of it in CP soap. It won't discolor but be warned it moves fast. I add to my soap batter at the very end just before I pour into the mold. If you HP you should be okay thou.

I've tried other rose FOs but they just don't have that awesome rose scent that comes through the soap like Gypsy Rose. Some people think Sensual Black Rose from AH is good but I tried it and didn't like it at all.

I get the best compliments on my rose scented soaps even from people that don't care for rose. Everyone who picks up a bar comments on how real and wonderful it smells.

• Like 3

fwiw, six months ago, I made melt and pour soap from Black Currant Rose (Sweet Cakes) and LOVED it...used it right away...but I just started using another bar from the same batch and it smells awful.  I do have lots of melt and pour bars made six months ago from other fo's that are still great. But not this one... :(

I can't believe I didn't get Gypsy Rose in my last FB order...I figured I would wait til "next time".  Shoot! I have a lot of rose scents but always want more!

That said, Bulgarian White Rose from Oregon Trails is pretty great in melt and pour soap and wax melts. Strong, too!

Edited by maryta
  • Like 1

Awhile back ago i ordered Rose FO from Sweet Cakes based  on great reviews I read about it -Sadly, I did not care for it at all :( A few others I didn't care 

for was Flower -bomb + Sweet Yellow Pear from Sweet cakes. The Gypsy rose does sound interesting though. One thing I can say about rose FO is use 

less than you normally do - in my experience they are STRONG , at least the ones I tested out. 

I have to second Peaks rose bouquet. At least in paraffin wax it is truly awesome. Similar to Gypsy Rose as they both have that deep red rose scent of a fresh bouquet of red roses. Never CP'd it thou so its nice to know it works in CP.

TT-- did Peak's rose bouquet accelerate on you? I remember MW's Gypsy Rose did not accelerate on me like the FB version does. It would be nice to have an awesome rose to CP that doesn't accelerate.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Candybee said:

TT-- did Peak's rose bouquet accelerate on you? I remember MW's Gypsy Rose did not accelerate on me like the FB version does. It would be nice to have an awesome rose to CP that doesn't accelerate.

The last bottle I have is several years old. That batch never once accelerated. If the formulation is the same (no idea as vendors never give lot numbers...) I would trust it after a small trial bar batch. :) the for,at of that soap was pink layer on the bottom with pink swirls. Plenty of time for all sorts of playing around. And that was before I figured out how to work with "problem" fragrances in my formula. 

FWIW, I looked at a few FB dupes of MW. The usage rates and FP varied all over the board from the originals. So they might smell similar, but they are very different FO. I phased most MW out, except for one or two that I depend on, and still buy from PFO with the original formulations. I just get several extra lbs in case they deep 6 them on short notice.

• Like 1

TallTayl, is PFO Pure Fragrance Oils ? Ive looked through their selections but never ordered. You all have me intrigued about MW + wish I had ordered 

from them when they were around. They have a Black Vanilla - any one know much about that one in wax. What are the fav's you mention from PFO ?

Hope we're getting close for the Tonic FO order :) Oh .... the PFO Sea Witch also sounds interesting . Hope everyones enjoying the holiday weekend !

Yes, PFO is pure fragrance oils.com

i miss easy access to MW patchouli FO for candles. I feel wicked using the essential oil in anything except skin products. Sure, I could buy the candle FO from lebermuth but I don't routinely buy anything else from there :(. 

MW celestial sea was a super easy to use ocean fragrance. Worked well in soap (no A, no D). Behaved in soy candles too. Still available, but I don't need anything else there right now either. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I gotta say..... FB's Gypsy Rose is wonderful.  Exactly what I was looking for.  It did accelerate rapidly, and I barely avoided soap on a stick, but that was partly my fault.  Totally worth it.  The scent is amazing.  Now I'm kicking myself for only ordering 8oz.

• Like 2

I add it at the very last just before I pour into the mold. If you do it right you can pour it while its still liquid. I layer colors that way instead of doing a swirl. The way I do it is add the FO to each layer just before I pour. As long as it goes in fluid its okay with me cause I can work with that. But man when it accelerates it turns hard fast. As soon as its poured in the mold its hard in about 2-3 seconds.