Wax ideas for larger containers

Hey everyone,

I wanted to start a discussion and hear everyone's ideas about different waxes that they have had success with in larger containers. I currently use igi4627 in my smaller containers like 8oz jellies, 7oz tumblers, and 8oz masons. I do find though that if I get higher in size this wax it becomes very hard to wick properly. I am left to inquire about other waxes. Is this a common issue with everyone and their choice of waxes? When I pour in my 12oz Libbeys or bigger tumblers, I have been using a parasoy blend. I have to sacrifice amazing scent throw for decent throw. Everyone feel free to chime in. Thanks 

Guest OldGlory

I sell a 16 oz salsa type jar to my wholesale client - 13 oz filled. I use 6006 with a zinc wick and have no trouble whatsoever getting it to burn and throw nicely with the fragrances they buy.

I bought some jars that are quite large and I fill them with 44 (or was it 46?) oz of wax/fo. I used wood wicks in them and have burned several all they way thru to the wick clip. These jars are of typical jar proportions - taller than they are wide. I used 464 in them. I cannot tell you how long it took to test these jars OMG!!!! 464 is my wax of choice for personal use.

Trappeur specializes in super large containers and she uses either 464 or c3 (?). There are lots of threads on her multi-wicked super large containers.

Can't help you with 4627 though. Any large jar is going to make you crazy testing it.

Glory,

Thank you for your input. I just ordered more 3022 from CC and a sample of 6006 from Peak. I absolutely love zinc wicks and use them in both paraffin and parasoy. I do agree with you Glory in regards to those. I have almost every wick you can think of at this point but I always go back to zincs. I have 464 laying around also but I do not like the frosting. I can't wait to try the 6006 and compare to my 3022. I know that they are 2 different waxes but I hear they are similar in some ways. I'm finding that parasoy blends are popular among many people with their containers. I love 4627 in smaller containers. The scent throw is amazing but it is not exactly the prettiest wax lol. I will continue to use it unless I find a competitor. Thanks Glory

The largest jar I have ever used was a 26oz apothecary with a J wax. Either J233 or J50. The jar diameter is 4". I always used a zinc 51 or 61. Not sure which as its been several years ago I made those. But I do remember the scent throw was incredible and I could never get anything to throw the way that wax. Unfortunately zincs are prone to mushroom so you just have to embrace them.

I currently use either glass glow or crystal container palm with either CSN (first choice) or RRD wicks. Largest jar I use is a 16 oz round or mason jar with a size 12 CSN. Excellent hot and cold throw, no soot buildup, burns clean, complete wax consumption by the end of the candle life, and jar looks like dishwasher clean on all sides. I just love my candles!

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

Candybee

I love that feeling when I finally get a candle to burn completely clean. My customers have been super excited by how my 8oz masons do not soot on the jars. I use zincs even though they mushroom. The shrooms do not bother them or myself. I am having trouble though trying to wick a leather scented candle. I can usually get away with wicking zincs in my 8oz masons but this leather just will not burn right at all. The wick becomes soooooooo weak that I could walk by it too fast and it will probably die out. The scent is from RE and it's amazing! Even though I have mixed percentages I still cannot get this off the test line. Bummed!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2016 at 5:49 PM, Candle guy said:

Glory,

Thank you for your input. I just ordered more 3022 from CC and a sample of 6006 from Peak. I absolutely love zinc wicks and use them in both paraffin and parasoy. I do agree with you Glory in regards to those. I have almost every wick you can think of at this point but I always go back to zincs. I have 464 laying around also but I do not like the frosting. I can't wait to try the 6006 and compare to my 3022. I know that they are 2 different waxes but I hear they are similar in some ways. I'm finding that parasoy blends are popular among many people with their containers. I love 4627 in smaller containers. The scent throw is amazing but it is not exactly the prettiest wax lol. I will continue to use it unless I find a competitor. Thanks Glory

Do you color your candles Candle Guy?