Booths- how often to change stock

I just started my booth a week ago and sold one candle :D I don't think that's too bad, the shop is only open 3 days a week. 

But how do you know  when a scent isn't selling? And that it's time to switch it up or just change my pricing?

I was going to make a sign for each of the scents that I have since some of them only have the scent on the tags. Would that be helpful in drawing people in?

This place has pretty good foot traffic, 1000 people can go through in a weekend.

IMG_20160505_081220.jpg

Edited by Siren12
  • Like 1

Honestly I think its way too early to answer your questions. You've just started your booth and don't have any customer base yet. That takes time. Same thing with debuting new scents. You really have to give it some time.

I make seasonal scents along with a basic set of regular scents. For the seasonal, if they aren't selling by mid-season that is an indication that its time for a change. For my regular scents, some lose their cache during some years but may become popular again after a couple of years.

Your products and arrangements look nice and clean. But I don't see anything that draws the eye to your booth. It has an almost monochrome look about it. I would add some dashes of color here and there and something at eye level that would be your biggest draw.

Make sure you leave brochures and business cards out for the curious.

But I think once people start buying and see what your product is all about, if they like it they will be back for more and maybe bring friends.

• Like 1

Another suggestion. I can't tell by looking at your set up what type of candles they are or if you have a theme. You need to find a way to get that information across to potential customers.

For example if it is a beach theme, you could add old fishing nets or pictures of the beach or lighthouses. If they are soy candles have a sign you can read at a distance that announces they are soy.

• Like 2

Awesome! That's exactly what I wanted to know, I just wanted an idea on how long I should keep a scent up there as I plan on doing the base scents and some seasonal ones. This weekend will be my second weekend so I know it needs more time.

I am working on ordering business cards and making brochures about my candles. 

And I will try to get more pops of color in there somehow.

Great suggestions candybee! I'll work on that. It would be a beach theme and my candles are soy so I will work on getting those things across so that people don't need to pick up a candle to figure it out.

Your candles are beautiful! I wouldn't change a thing about them. So no worries there. I think all you really need to focus on is how to draw in potential buyers who pass by your booth. Think of ways to capture their eye and keep them interested long enough to stop and look.

Stock you'll know soon enough which scents you need to keep making on a regular basis, and then as Candy said I always have "seasonal" scents.  I just started making fall

and Christmas so I'm ready to go and can still keep up on monthly stock.  I don't ever "change" out stock unless it has been there for a year and didn't move and then sometimes

it just takes moving it to a different shelf for me to start selling it.  I do try to change the look of my display often.

I love your display!  I also love the Mermaid concept. Maybe put your company name in bright letters since you have the mermaid maybe ocean blue or aqua blue,  And your letters or sign saying soy wax candles in a different bright color, even that yellow S stands out.  You could even spray paint the starfish a bright color.  Or hang a colorful pic of a huge mermaid in the background.  I don't dye my candles but my melts have colored labels and I have a black background for them.  I also carry very colorful soap.  So many options...so little time!

Good luck, 1 candle in a few days is awesome, soon word of mouth will get out.  Oh also take pics and throw a free ad on local Craigslist saying now available at...store name your in.   Instagram works as well for free advertising.

Huge congratulations and yea on your first sale of many! Your booth looks great Siren12! LOVE the starfish! The folks above here have some great suggestions. We change out scents and items every couple of months to keep our booth interesting and ever changing to the customers. You can even have the exact same stock, but move it around.... place it in a different area in your booth, add a couple of new scented items or items to complement the season (signs, pip berry rings etc) and folks will think you have totally changed out your booth. Keep it interesting and folks will keep coming to check out your booth often and spend that money on your product. :) 

Edited by puma52
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Great looking display Siren!

I agree with what Candybee, Puma and Kandlecrazy said for suggestions!    And especially about popping a little bit of color in there....Spray painting maybe the starfish in sea colors as suggested is a great idea.   And I love love the idea of adding some fish net to your booth here and there!!  Another thing you could do just for detail in your unit is maybe get a couple big shells or a conch shell and just sit on a shelf or 2 for added interest.  Another thing is you could buy cheap little paddles/oars for added interest for display.  But don't go hog crazy....but you better mark everything with a price because chances are people always want what you don't want to sell, so you might as well sell them too! lol......even the shells people will want to buy....... If you put the name of your business up there you could put it at the top of the shelf unit on the board that the starfish are hanging from.  By keeping your whole shelving unit white as it is, you are able to do thousands of different changes in color to your booth as anything goes with white.  If I may make a suggestion....when you look at your set up it's a little heavy on the bottom, so if that were me, I would add 1 more glass shelf and distribute your candles more around.  And besides it will give you more shelving space and will make your space more full with candles.  Another thing...when I used to do booths, anything on the bottom shelf always collected a lot of dirt and dust so try not to have so much at the bottom. (Ask me how I know?

I love your set up Siren!  You go girl!

(PS:  You are a woman I'm thinking....lol....if not, "you go man!"

Trappeur

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the tips Trapper! I haven't had much time to think about decor for the booth lately just making sure that I have a good amount of each scent available right now.

I have sold at least one candle each month which I think is pretty good. I have added the most recent photo I have of my booth, I sold all 3 of the red jars ( black raspberry and vanilla scent) in the first month or so, they sold right around mothersday.But the sandalwood vanilla hobnail candles have not sold I think I'm going to paint the jars a different color and rename it - maybe driftwood? Something more beachy. 

I also started to dye my candles and sold 3 of the pink ones which were raspberry sangria ( only made 5- this was after mother's day too).

I still need to work on my signage ? but so far I guess its a good sign that my candles pretty much have been able to sell themselves. 

Still working on it, maybe the fall will yeld more time for decor and signs. 

- Brigit 

279755663.jpg

Edited by Siren12
  • Like 1