Best method for making a small amount of lip balm

KB12

Is there an easy way to make 1 tube (.15oz) of lip balm with 3% flavor oil? Am I doing my math correctly? 3% of .15 oz equals .005 oz? I read that it’s easier to use the mL pipettes instead of weighing out the flavor oil. How would .005 oz be converted into mL? Would I just take .005 x 29.57 to get .15 ml? What specific brand of pipettes or other tools do you suggest using? I already have a .01 g scale. Do you suggest the double boiler method or the microwave in order to melt the base? Does the flavor oil need to be added to the base at a certain temp? How long should I stir the flavor oil into the base to make sure that it is incorporated? (I’ve only made candles before and I am basing my questions off of the candle making process.)

• Like 1

it is, but use grams and a super accurate pocket gram scale that measures down to at least .01 grams. But... Measuring only one tube wastes a lot of lip balm. A good amount sticks in the measuring/melting vessel. Better to make more, like 5-10.

15 hours ago, KB12 said:

Thanks for the responses! Am I doing the above math correctly?

I will not comment on the math as it uses volumetric (ml) and not weight. Depending on the specific gravity of your flavor and the usage limits it might be fine or it might be Far too high.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I usually make 4 oz at a time so I double this formula.  However, I have a hard time deciding whether to add 1, 2, or 3 % for the flavor.  Not sure if 1% is strong enough or if need up to 3%.  I have made lip balms that did not hardly taste or smell, and made some that had too much.   Be nice if the flavor oils label would tell you what per cent works best in 2 oz or something. ?

Normally I make lip balm flavors in 2 oz balm batches. That gives me 12 lip balms and I usually make several flavors in 2 oz batches until I have about 6-9 assorted flavors.

My scale doesn't go below 1 gram so I had to calculate as best as I could and ended up using teaspoon measurements for my lip flavor and sweetener instead of weighing them out.  So for 2 oz of lip balm (I do weigh out the lip balm) I use 1 tsp flavor oil and 1 tsp sweetener. This works for me but I always test out the balm for each flavor oil I use to be sure the amount I am using works.

The smallest batch of lip balm I have ever made is 6 tubes. I use 1oz of balm, 1/2 tsp flavor oil, 1/2 tsp sweetener.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2016 at 9:45 AM, Candybee said:

The smallest batch of lip balm I have ever made is 6 tubes. I use 1oz of balm, 1/2 tsp flavor oil, 1/2 tsp sweetener.

:) This is how I make mine, too. I use "sugar baby" from MMS and assorted flavors, except if I use mint ESSENTIAL oil straight oob. Then I will cut that in half.  If I use a mint "flavor oil" I would  still use 1/2 tsp...my favorite is banana.

Edited by heartsong