Has anyone used the additive DOA in their fragrance? Save on Scents sells it, and I have used it before...it greatly increases scent throw (cold and hot) and is sort of a miracle ingredient BUT I am concerned about the chemical and how it might not be so good to breathe.  After using it for a little while, I had a headache and became a little concerned about whether it should be used. Anyone care to weigh in on DOA?

3 hours ago, OldGlory said:

Gracious, I hope you haven't sold any candles with DOA in them.

Fortunately, I have not! As I was using it, I decided it was giving me a headache and threw out the bottle and the 3 candles I had made with it. I could still smell the stuff in the trash can several feet away-ughhh! 

I'm prefer plain ol' 464 wax!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, candlesinflorida said:

Fortunately, I have not! As I was using it, I decided it was giving me a headache and threw out the bottle and the 3 candles I had made with it. I could still smell the stuff in the trash can several feet away-ughhh! 

I'm prefer plain ol' 464 wax!

I just found this from the SOS web site; I am still glad I threw it all away though. I hate the stuff.

DOA Dioctyl Adipate: 
Dioctyl Adipate is a great colorless and odorless low viscosity solvent. DOA is used widely in the fragrance industry to dilute and stabilize active volatile compounds. Great for use when an oil needs to be both skin safe and candle safe. Too much use may cause consistency when used in water based products (shower gel, shampoo, etc..).

On 3/6/2016 at 3:52 PM, Vicky_CO said:

It is not meant to be used in wax, DOA Dioctyl Adipate is a plasticizer you do not want to burn that stuff it will make you sick as all get out. 

Vicky, do you know this by fact?

From what I heard it's been used with good results and can be found in ready made fragrance oils for candle making? Does it differ from IPM in any sense?

I will add this were you use it or not is your choice I choose not to I do not think the risk out way to benefits. If I was a chemist and knew for sure how much I could add and not be harmful I would consider it if the benefits where really good.

I have a feeling DOA is in a lot of FO's out there and used in a lot of candles but there is no way to find out as all FO's are sold as 'trade secrets'.. So you might be inhaling it anyway without knowing it or adding it yourself even.

But yeah that MSDS doesn't look too good, I agree.

Dioctyl Adipate seems to be a replacement for phthalates. BAX chemicals makes a few versions. Here is their description:

http://baxchemicals.com/products/plasticizers/dioctyl-adipate--doa-

it is not something I would think about consciously adding to my candles without a whole lot of good reasons, but it could be in commercially available products. 

It's even used as a solvent for essential oils when used in candles... I might call that lab and ask about the risks of using it...

"Another example of the need to use diluents is when making candles with essential oils.  Some essential oils may need to be thinned out with a diluent so that they can properly travel up the wick and burn correctly.  Typical diluents added to essential oils for this purpose are:  iso Propyl Myristate, or di-Octyl Adipate.  Neither of these diluents are natural, but are effective for this purpose."

What I have heard is that IPM is giving a much worse hot throw than DOA...

Here it is stated as ingredient in just this one candle, usually you don't see anyone advertise what EXACTLY is in a candle

http://spectrumboutique.com/product/afterglow-massage-candle/

Edited by strugglebrother

In that massage candle, the IPM, is being used for a very different purpose.... IPM in skin applications helps the oils and waxes feel less greasy on skin. The IPM evaporates away quickly, much like gasoline does, taking away the heavy or greasy feeling. 

Make sure urge you study the MSDS and technical papers carefully before jumping in. At one time phthalates were a fantastic idea too. 

• 5 years later...
23 minutes ago, LilyJane said:

@TallTayl If di-Octyl Adipate isn’t super safe in candles, do you know what an alternative might be? I’ve been trying to figure out how to add aroma chemicals in my candles to create my own scents, but it seems like I have to use a solvent of some kind. 

DOA is used in many retail fragrances as far as I can tell.  It became more popular when phthalates went out of public fashion.

What type of aromachemicals are you looking to use? 

2 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

DOA is used in many retail fragrances as far as I can tell.  It became more popular when phthalates went out of public fashion.

What type of aromachemicals are you looking to use? 

I’m still trying to figure that out. I’ve been looking at the ones sold on perfumersworld.com, and they’re all powdered, so it seems they need to be liquefied. They’re also so pricey that it makes me wonder if something is usually added to them - if I used them in my candles in the same percentages I use my Candle Science FO’s, it would cost way more. 

9 hours ago, LilyJane said:

I’m still trying to figure that out. I’ve been looking at the ones sold on perfumersworld.com, and they’re all powdered, so it seems they need to be liquefied. They’re also so pricey that it makes me wonder if something is usually added to them - if I used them in my candles in the same percentages I use my Candle Science FO’s, it would cost way more. 

Keep in mind that retail candle fragrances are highly diluted. You would use a fraction of he raw aromachemicals in candles.

powdered items need to be heated, sometimes to really high temps, while mixing into wax. It can be done, it is often just inconvenient. One I worked with that was already in a diluent had to be heated to 200+ before adding to wax. Made a lovely candle when tevaries all came together. 

it might be a good starting point to try some simple preblended  aromachemical accords to see if they work well for you. Look for those that specify candles to get a jump start. 

26 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Keep in mind that retail candle fragrances are highly diluted. You would use a fraction of he raw aromachemicals in candles.

powdered items need to be heated, sometimes to really high temps, while mixing into wax. It can be done, it is often just inconvenient. One I worked with that was already in a diluent had to be heated to 200+ before adding to wax. Made a lovely candle when tevaries all came together. 

it might be a good starting point to try some simple preblended  aromachemical accords to see if they work well for you. Look for those that specify candles to get a jump start. 

So, for the powdered aroma chemicals, you just mix it into a wax that’s melted to a higher temp like 200? That’s pretty similar to how I mix in my retail FO’s. 

I’m sure it will take some practice, but it helps to start with some idea of how to do it! 

Everything depends on the specific aromachemical.  Some (most)  benefit from pre-mixing, heating, then adding to hot wax so that it is workable in wax.  If not thoroughly blended it will clog wicks. 

many with vanillin will throw crystals when cool. Some retail vanilla blends do this so much that the bottle appears to have layer of sand or sugar at the bottom.