Flowerpot Votive Candle

I have a shop in town looking for these flowerpot-shaped votives.  All I have ever found are flowerpot silicon molds which cost approximately $9 each and make one votive.  Is there a way to pour them in the glass votive holder and then pop them out?   My other alternative is to pour and sell them as is--in the glass holder--I guess.

Goldie

glass votive flowerpot.jpg

votive flowerpot.jpg

Yes, you can use the glass containers as a mold, or as a small container. If you use them as a mold, use a wax that will release, such as a votive or pillar wax or a blend of the two, or you can use container wax and use them as a small container. 

I used to make these all the time - they sold very well as container candles, but I only sold a few as actual votives due to the size and the price point I had to have for the votives. 

I make them as votive container candles Goldie.   They have always sold just wonderful and it's been a while since I made them.  Geesh, I'm glad this thread came up.  I'm going to pull out a case of these jars and get some made up today.  Here is a picture of how I do them for Christmas.   They are  cheap wonderful little candles for people who want to try out a scent.

Trappeur

CIMG6565_2.jpg

CIMG6596_1.jpg

CIMG6575-1_1.jpg

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 7

Trappeur, those are gorgeous!  Really gorgeous!

The owner of the shop did mention frosted glass when I told her what the soy would do (wet spots).  And, I have PB Pillar Blend & CB Xcel on hand for tarts.  Now for wicks. . .  I have a good selection of Premiers for testing.  Any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated.  

Goldie

17 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Yes, you can use the glass containers as a mold, or as a small container. If you use them as a mold, use a wax that will release, such as a votive or pillar wax or a blend of the two, or you can use container wax and use them as a small container. 

I used to make these all the time - they sold very well as container candles, but I only sold a few as actual votives due to the size and the price point I had to have for the votives. 

Do you coat the inside of the glass with something to make it easy to release the votive?  Or do they just pop out with a little tapping?

Goldie

My bad. I didn't notice the candles at the bottom of your pic. So that's kind of like mini-pillars? They should burn without blowing out the sides or would you burn them on a plate? Looks like a fire hazard if they don't have a votive container.

Edited by chuck_35550
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

Trappeur, those are gorgeous!  Really gorgeous!

The owner of the shop did mention frosted glass when I told her what the soy would do (wet spots).  And, I have PB Pillar Blend & CB Xcel on hand for tarts.  Now for wicks. . .  I have a good selection of Premiers for testing.  Any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated.  

Goldie

If you go on a site called candles 4 less they have the votives for 48cents.  They have clear and also frosted and even colored.  If you pour into them like I do I use htp83 in c3, 415 or 464 wax.  I've never used that wax....Sorry I can't help you there.

1 hour ago, Wish Upon a Candle said:

Does it take a long time to make the little Christmas trees? I have never done a multi color mold before. I presume you pour or "paint" a little into the mold (the red part) and then pour the green once it is set. Is that how you make them?

Hello Wish,

Ok, the votive is all poured wax.....no painting of anything.

1.  Pour your first bottom layer and let it harden till solid but not completely real hard.

2.  Then pour your second layer (the thin red) on top of the first.  This should be a warm pour, not hot....you want this red layer you are pouring to bind to the bottom.  If you pour the red too hot it will make the bottom pour bleed.

3.  After the red thin layer is poured you let that cool somewhat and do the final top pour the same way.

4.  Now what I do is generally I let the candles sit over night or let them sit hours till all is completely cooled and then stick the tree embeds on top and then pour a teeney tiney thin thin pour across the top just enough to cover the whole top of the candle and make the embeds stick.

5.  The embeds I use candy molds for them.

Trappeur 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

Do you coat the inside of the glass with something to make it easy to release the votive?  Or do they just pop out with a little tapping?

Goldie

My votive blend shrinks enough I don't need any mold release, but as I stated before, I don't make them as votives, since I couldn't get the price I needed with them... 

3 hours ago, chuck_35550 said:

My bad. I didn't notice the candles at the bottom of your pic. So that's kind of like mini-pillars? They should burn without blowing out the sides or would you burn them on a plate? Looks like a fire hazard if they don't have a votive container.

They are burned in a glass votive holder like the one pictured in my first post.  They are probably 3 1/2" tall.  Yes, would melt all over the plate as they don't burn down the middle like a pillar.

Goldie

3 hours ago, Trappeur said:

If you go on a site called candles 4 less they have the votives for 48cents.  They have clear and also frosted and even colored.  If you pour into them like I do I use htp83 in c3, 415 or 464 wax.  I've never used that wax....Sorry I can't help you there.

Well it will probably be best for me to just use my 464 and sell the votive in the glass container.  Less putzing around.  I'll have to check to see if I have any sample htp wicks and get started testing. :)

Goldie

7 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

Well it will probably be best for me to just use my 464 and sell the votive in the glass container.  Less putzing around.  I'll have to check to see if I have any sample htp wicks and get started testing. :)

Goldie

Seems like I have been doing a lot of putzing around too, Goldie...lol  Yep, that would be a mess sitting on a plate instead of in a glass jar.....

Trappeur

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

My votive blend shrinks enough I don't need any mold release, but as I stated before, I don't make them as votives, since I couldn't get the price I needed with them... 

The shop use to get the flowerpot votives from McCall's Candle Co.; but now they only sell them on a "make to order" and with a large quantity order for each scent.  They retailed for $3.95.  Plus the glass votive was $1.95.  So I can sell the votive holder with the candle for under $6 and make a good profit.  Maybe if there is enough of a demand, I can try the votives without the glass in the future.  Thanks!

Goldie

You know talking about burning a votive without a holder reminds me of the first time I bought a votive.  I was in my 30's!  Anyway, I put it on a plate to burn and was terribly upset that the entire votive melted in a short period of time.  Goldie=dumb blonde. ;)

Goldie

You may find this hard to believe, but I treated my votive candles like mini pillars. I wanted the votive to maintain its shell until half the burn. I used an old wax called V wax that was very hard and burned slowly. The votive would burn down into itself and glow whatever color and it was cool. I had a set of metal molds with wick pins. I use the k wax from ah/re for melts and votive candles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chuck_35550 said:

You may find this hard to believe, but I treated my votive candles like mini pillars. I wanted the votive to maintain its shell until half the burn. I used an old wax called V wax that was very hard and burned slowly. The votive would burn down into itself and glow whatever color and it was cool. I had a set of metal molds with wick pins. I use the k wax from ah/re for melts and votive candles.

That sounds so cool!  Something else to try. :)  

Goldie

• 2 weeks later...

BCN sells the flower votive holders in clear- frosted and yellow and sometimes a pink and purple 

they have the lids as well

trappeur you amaze me - I never sold these well at all and your layered technique with the embeds are so cute!

using candy molds do you just pour a touch of red first and let it set and then fill with green? 

I have so many of these jars I would love to try this dragonflys and butterfly's for spring 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2016 at 3:04 AM, Trappeur said:

I make them as votive container candles Goldie.   They have always sold just wonderful and it's been a while since I made them.  Geesh, I'm glad this thread came up.  I'm going to pull out a case of these jars and get some made up today.  Here is a picture of how I do them for Christmas.   They are  cheap wonderful little candles for people who want to try out a scent.

Trappeur

CIMG6565_2.jpg

CIMG6596_1.jpg

CIMG6575-1_1.jpg

My first couple of flowerpot votives had little hot throw even though I was using same wax:oil% used for my pint jars that have a great HT.  Tried Premier wicks:  765 & 767.  I don't want to go up too high and have a really hot votive as it burns to the bottom.  Waiting on 780 tester next.   I do wait 2 wks to burn.  May I ask what worked for you, Trappeur?

Goldie