Do you add Whipping Cream or Yogurt to your soap?

puma52

I have been noticing that more people are putting the heavy whipping cream and yogurt in their soap. I have noticed that the Hot Process Soaping Queen puts the cream in hers and I have seen more and more videos recently of other folks adding these dairy products to their soap. Here's my question...what is the purpose? Does it keep the soap more fluid? Does it make it more creamy, luxurious? If I am hot processing and add it after cook/cooling at the end, am I running a high chance of spoilage in my soap? If people add it to their cold process soaps while blending for trace, I am assuming that perhaps the milk product is cooked while saponifying and therefore would not be subject to spoiling?  Maybe I just need to leave well enough alone. Any ideas, opinionated opinions welcome. Thanks. :)

Milks in soap make the soap more creamy. I don't use milk in my HP soaps,, but I would not put it in after the cook. Milk is usually not an added ingredient persay,, it us usually use in place of a percentage, or all, of the liquid in soap,. When I make milk soaps, I always add to my lye when the milk is frozen and soap at RT and don't insulate to prevent gel and overheating. It doesn't spoil because like the water, it saponifies with the soap. 

Adding syrup isn't quite the same as honey, but similar (and without the label appeal IMO) and would be more like adding sugar and would be used to boost bubbles. I don't use either in my soaps. 

• Like 1

In HP the milks (lactate) helps with a fluid pour. supposedly adding after cook does not cause spoilage. I'll take their word for it.

Milk proteins also contribute to a lather feel.

Honey, syrups, sugar, etc. in HP also help with a fluid pour. In HP and CP they 'can' contribute to a more sustainable lather.

check out my lather lovers swap videos in the soap additives article on this forum. some additives were surprising.

• Like 1

I make a lot of coconut milk and goat milk soaps. I have also used yogurt, heavy cream, and other milks and powdered milks. They all add a creaminess to the soap and some label appeal. For example I sell a lot of goat milk, oatmeal, and honey soaps especially during the cold winter months as the oatmeal is soothing and helps dry itchy skin and the soap rich and creamy textured.

I can't see using syrup as to me it has an ick factor and wouldn't have much or any label appeal that I can see. For sweeteners I use either cane sugar or honey in my soaps. They seem to boost lather and I am happy with that. The difference for me is the honey tends to speed up heat and can make your soap crack if you aren't careful how much you use or how you handle the soap during saponification. Honey in soaps I don't force gel. I let them heat on their own without any help. Sugar on the other hand I don't worry about the soap overheating so I can go ahead and cover to force gel.

• Like 1

The one thing to remember is that whipping cream or goat milk has a high amount of fat. Fats are good. Lately, I mix my milk with organic aloe vera juice and get the benefits of both in the final product. Saponification is the great mystery that prevents us from guaranteeing that all these additives won't be eaten by the monster but with the right temps and times; I think these ingredients add quite a bit to the quality of the soap and they don't break the bank. They do look good on your label but how well the product cleanses and conditions skin in hard or soft water is the deal maker.  I have tried buttermilk, yogurt and canned coconut milk but goat milk is my favorite. Supposedly goat milk fat does not separate like regular milk but for whatever reason it works the best for me.

• Like 2

I've been doing the same especially with my goat milk soaps. I split the liquid and use aloe juice for the lye solution and the rest of my liquid as goat milk which I add directly to the soap batter. It does give you the benefits of both the creaminess of the milk and the soothing aloe vera. Both have great label appeal and I sell a lot of gm/aloe & oatmeal w/honey soap. I also use local wildflower honey as that also adds extra label appeal.

• Like 1

This question is for all of you....if you were hot processing this, when would you add the cream? Would it truly be ok if I added after the cook/cooling stage when I also add the honey, vit e, oats etc or would I add to the crockpot...maybe at trace? Thanks so much for helping me guys. :)

Also...could I add the cream to a salt bar soap? When I make my salt bars, I use 100% coconut milk in place of the water, but I am hoping to make it much better ...would coconut milk and heavy cream work together to create a wonderful, soothing, creamy and exfoliating soap? I am thinking of this monthly soap feature we are going to do and I really want to do something different. :)

Edited by puma52

On 2/5/2016 at 11:15 PM, TallTayl said:

In HP the milks (lactate) helps with a fluid pour. supposedly adding after cook does not cause spoilage. I'll take their word for it.

Milk proteins also contribute to a lather feel.

Honey, syrups, sugar, etc. in HP also help with a fluid pour. In HP and CP they 'can' contribute to a more sustainable lather.

check out my lather lovers swap videos in the soap additives article on this forum. some additives were surprising.

I had watched your videos before on these additives...BUT did not study and take to note as much as I SHOULD have...as I rewatched them, it is so very interesting. The coconut milk did real well, I think I will need to visit beer soap *drunken posting*and wine soap too (videos that I've watched have me intrigued and something different is good), that sodium citrate and sorbitol wow...those were crazy bubbles, the kaolin clay did not surprise me...I put this stuff in everything..hee hee ...love it, evaporated milk! :) who'd thunk ? Powdered sugar! Wow! :) The milks and yogurt didn't do bad at all.... Hmmmm.....lots of food for thought TallTayl! Soap is just the coolest handmade thing isn't it? Thanks for your input :) and guidance back to those videos.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Candybee said:

I use coconut milk and aloe juice in my salt bars and they are nice and creamy. I don't see any need to add more milk just to make them creamy. If you are using full milk already they should be very creamy.

You are right Candybee!! I am overthinking on this. I have never tried the aloe juice in my soaps before, but have seen several folks using it. Hmmm....now to make a super awesome recipe out of all these great suggestions. Maybe during my month, I will do salt bars and a regular soap recipe. This is going to be great! :)

14 hours ago, Barbara AL said:

I use heavy cream all the time one ounce per pound of oils. I like that it does not discolor my soap like goats milk does. My soaps are very creamy.

Thanks Barbara! Your soaps are so gorgeous and I am taking all the suggestions from all of you "Soap Masters" to heart! :)

• Like 1

On 2/5/2016 at 11:40 AM, chuck_35550 said:

The one thing to remember is that whipping cream or goat milk has a high amount of fat. Fats are good. Lately, I mix my milk with organic aloe vera juice and get the benefits of both in the final product. Saponification is the great mystery that prevents us from guaranteeing that all these additives won't be eaten by the monster but with the right temps and times; I think these ingredients add quite a bit to the quality of the soap and they don't break the bank. They do look good on your label but how well the product cleanses and conditions skin in hard or soft water is the deal maker.  I have tried buttermilk, yogurt and canned coconut milk but goat milk is my favorite. Supposedly goat milk fat does not separate like regular milk but for whatever reason it works the best for me.

Hi Chuck,

Have you ever used Goat's Milk powder in your soap? Does the powders give you the same result as the milk? Thanks! :)

On 2/5/2016 at 10:27 PM, Jcandleattic said:

Milks in soap make the soap more creamy. I don't use milk in my HP soaps,, but I would not put it in after the cook. Milk is usually not an added ingredient persay,, it us usually use in place of a percentage, or all, of the liquid in soap,. When I make milk soaps, I always add to my lye when the milk is frozen and soap at RT and don't insulate to prevent gel and overheating. It doesn't spoil because like the water, it saponifies with the soap. 

Adding syrup isn't quite the same as honey, but similar (and without the label appeal IMO) and would be more like adding sugar and would be used to boost bubbles. I don't use either in my soaps. 

Thanks so much Jcandleattic...I agree that maple syrup just would not do much for the label appeal. Thanks for your help. :)

14 hours ago, puma52 said:

Hi Chuck,

Have you ever used Goat's Milk powder in your soap? Does the powders give you the same result as the milk? Thanks! :)

I'm not Chuck but I've used goat milk and buttermilk powders and both make the soap creamy. I don't feel any difference in the feel of the soap. If you use the powder be sure to reconstitute it before using in your recipe. Otherwise it can get lumpy. The good part about using milk powders is you can make the milk as thick as you want or as thin as you want.

For example, if you want a 'full' milk soap but also want to use aloe juice you can. Just use the full amount of powder and blend it with aloe juice, or you can use half aloe and half water. Using a milk powder opens up the possibility of using other liquids to reconstitute the powder.

What I don't like about the powders is they can be expensive and can get lumpy in the container. You have to keep them dry and don't leave them on the shelf for months and months. They didn't really last as long as I thought they would and got hard and cakey after a year.

Also, I quit using the powders because I have a lot of customers who ask for fresh milk. I live in an area where there are a lot of farms and especially goat farmers so customers expect fresh and not canned or powdered milk. So just saying know your customers.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Candybee said:

I'm not Chuck but I've used goat milk and buttermilk powders and both make the soap creamy. I don't feel any difference in the feel of the soap. If you use the powder be sure to reconstitute it before using in your recipe. Otherwise it can get lumpy. The good part about using milk powders is you can make the milk as thick as you want or as thin as you want.

For example, if you want a 'full' milk soap but also want to use aloe juice you can. Just use the full amount of powder and blend it with aloe juice, or you can use half aloe and half water. Using a milk powder opens up the possibility of using other liquids to reconstitute the powder.

What I don't like about the powders is they can be expensive and can get lumpy in the container. You have to keep them dry and don't leave them on the shelf for months and months. They didn't really last as long as I thought they would and got hard and cakey after a year.

Also, I quit using the powders because I have a lot of customers who ask for fresh milk. I live in an area where there are a lot of farms and especially goat farmers so customers expect fresh and not canned or powdered milk. So just saying know your customers.

This is good to know Candybee!  I think I shall just stay with the pourable milks! Thank you so much for your knowledgeable help...I appreciate you! :)

57 minutes ago, chuck_35550 said:

I've used powdered goat milk for the same reason. I like to make a slurry and add toward the end before pouring in the mold. Either way I like the feel.

Thank you sir! I appreciate your help. :)

I don't get discoloration with goat milk Babs. I use td and get nice white soap and haven't noticed any discoloration with mica. Odd. But I try to use fos that have no vanillin, so maybe that's one reason. I rarely use vanilla scented fragrances because nothing really works to stop discoloration. I've just about stop using bakery scents in general, because customers complain they get hungry smelling pie or cake and get off their diets.

• Like 1

I always get discoloration using goat milk, whether canned or fresh. Don't think I got it with powder thou but its been a while so I forget.

I have heard others say they don't get discoloration too. But it seems no matter what I try it does it anyway. I don't mind really as I use FOs in my GM soaps that go tan or brown anyway so it works out for me.

Oh... I did forget I get a 'cream' colored soap when I make a GM castile. It stays cream colored too. But for the GM castile I don't add any FOs and keep the recipe simple. Just olive oil, GM, castor. I guess that's really a bastile but I still call it castile.

• Like 2

For me the discoloration in GM soaps depends on multiple factors. I don't get it if I soap cool, don't gel and use frozen milk. However, if I soap a little warmer, don't get it in the fridge/freezer soon enough or it gels, then for sure it discolors. 

Also, I use vanilla FO's all the time, use a vanilla stabilizer and rarely ever get discoloration from the FO that way. Even my Pink Sugar from Peak will hold off discoloring for about a year when using the VS I use. 

• Like 1

Do you mind sharing who's VS you use? I'm thinking of starting to use it because I am getting tired of FOs I love that discolor. Especially those that I want to do colorful swirls with.

One in particular is Peaks Black Canyon. I love this FO and don't want to change it out. I color my soap white, copper, and black but it always discolors to a brown so you can't see the white part. I would love to change that.

• Like 1