Promotions Items

Vicky_CO

I always gotten approached about this as anyone in business does. You get offers in the mail if you have a store front they find you.

So I thought I would start this thread of which ones actually help your business and which ones just cost you money and do not do anything for you.

My experience and my opinion:

Business cards a must have.

Brochures I gave out a lot. I think this depends on your customer base if you are internet based Yes I think they are a must. If you are a store no you would be better having rack cards. If you do shows and internet you might want to consider them.

I can make them myself. I did this for a very long time.

Having them made can be beneficial They look so professional. They are a little more expensive. There are some good printing companies out there that will give you a good deal. (BTW vista print is not one of them)

Rack Cards I have always loved these you can make them yourself. You can give a lot of info in a small space.

Pens to have a limited use I do not think I got much business from them. So I will say don't bother unless you just want a few that will walk away at shows and events.

BTW check with your insurance company before you have match books made. LOL I thought it was a good idea.

Hopefully you guy will put up your experiences good and bad with promotional items.

Guest OldGlory

I was asked many times to do a gift basket for a raffle, and always agreed to do it. Never got any repeat orders from them. So as a source of advertising your business I don't think it helps.

The single best way to advertise my products is a candle sample. That's what I'm using the maxi tea lights for - samples.

I started putting a small sign on my soap boxes that described the qualities of the soaps inside. I always see customers stop and read the boxes and this has helped them decide what soaps to buy. It sounds like no big deal but in reality it has reduced confusion and indecision on their part and when they do come to me to ask questions they are more specific. So I know the box cards are working.

Business cards are a must. I give them out to each sale I make and lots of times people just come up to me and ask for one. I also include one with each wholesale purchase to make sure they know how to contact me for more soap.

I also make brochures and flyers to promote products and I see customers reading them and taking one with them. I also like to give them a flyer for the product they are buying so they can read more about it.

• Like 1

The gift basket as a fundraiser thing. I haven't found that I've gotten repeat benefit from it but I give them too a dog rescue in my area and as an auction item for a friend with health issues or a similar situation. So I'm not giving them for business reasons anyway.

brochures haven't brought me anything BUT postcards with my future shows or stores have been good. As have business cards.

Sample soaps in a store just meant people came in, got the free sample and left. Now I hand them directly to someone who has purchased something and that does seem to bring repeat business, or atleast repeat soap buying.

• Like 1

iansmommaya-- you reminded me I need to make up some postcards with my market schedule. I have also been thinking of doing more promo materials like postcards and flyers. They are cheaper and sometimes are the best way to reach customers and get a few selling points across.

• Like 1

My experience and my opinion:

Business cards a must have.

Brochures I gave out a lot. I think this depends on your customer base if you are internet based Yes I think they are a must. If you are a store no you would be better having rack cards. If you do shows and internet you might want to consider them.

I can make them myself. I did this for a very long time.

Having them made can be beneficial They look so professional. They are a little more expensive. There are some good printing companies out there that will give you a good deal. (BTW vista print is not one of them)

Rack Cards I have always loved these you can make them yourself. You can give a lot of info in a small space.

Pens to have a limited use I do not think I got much business from them. So I will say don't bother unless you just want a few that will walk away at shows and events.

BTW check with your insurance company before you have match books made. LOL I thought it was a good idea.

Hopefully you guy will put up your experiences good and bad with promotional items.

I was just trying to make up some brochures. I was going to use Vista Print cause that's the only place I knew. Could you tell me some other places please? :) thank you :);)

I'm not sure if these are considered promotional items (If so, I do apologize!) but I came across something on Pinterest about custom rubber ink stamps and something along the lines of "thanks for purchasing" stickers for products. Do you guys think these are worth looking into?

Stamps are nice. I rubber stamp muslin bags for one brand. People love the bags.

Stickers printed at home are nifty too.

Cool! I saw some stamped drawstring bags on etsy, they were the coolest! But thanks for responding everybody! I definitely want to get a stamp with my logo one day.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We donate a lot of candles and melts to local charities.  While it may not make any direct sales, it is a really good talking point when doing events in the community.  Gives people a warm fuzzy feeling.  There is also a lot of research that shows millenia have almost come to expect some variation of a charitable component to companies that they do business with.

On February 16, 2016 at 6:24 PM, PalmettoWaxWorks said:

We donate a lot of candles and melts to local charities.  While it may not make any direct sales, it is a really good talking point when doing events in the community.  Gives people a warm fuzzy feeling.  There is also a lot of research that shows millenia have almost come to expect some variation of a charitable component to companies that they do business with.

Thats interesting! I had read something similar about donating items/proceeds to a local charity. Like you mentioned, it gets you noticed and even if it doesn't really bring in sales, you'll be noted for the wonderful work you've been doing in your community, which is always awesome. When I read it, it got me to thinking of charities I could help out with that resonate with the mission of my business once I get officially launched :)

Right now I am using a stock a soap stamp. I used to have one for my other company with my logo on it and it was nice. With my new company I need to get another stamp made with my new name and logo on it.

I also like to make donations from my company to charities and also attend local events where donations go to a local charity.