Where to buy best quality FO

Yep, each and every oil has to be tested.  And for the other reason of testing each oil is to determine what size wick you need for that particular oil as some will take a larger wick and some smaller....all depends.....

Trappeur

If you do a little research on this forum you can read through discussions with reviews on tons of FOs. So if you are looking for a great cinnamon or apple or lavender FO just do a search and you will get lots of info on it.

As far as who the best suppliers go those will also come up with your search. Sorry but there is no way around testing. All FOs and FO combos need to be tested with your wax, wick, and jar combo. Plus, if you ever switch jars, wick, or wax, the same FOs will need to be retested in the candle combination too.

But don't worry, everyone here has lots of helpful info on finding a good FO or FOs you may be looking for.

Guest OldGlory

Be sure to pay attention to the type of wax being used by the person promoting a certain fragrance oil. Sometimes what may work beautifully in a soy wax may have a weak throw in a paraffin wax and vice versa.

What type of wax are you using? You might can find a thread about scents that throw well in it. I use GB 464 and there's a thread specifically for scents in that. I've only used soy and it's picky.

They speak the truth on testing. I started in August and I'm still testing and have spent a few grand. I've got more to go. I'll get it back eventually but it won't be soon. Others have spent less than me to get to where they could sell but surely they spent a lot too. I don't know when I can start to sell but hopefully in a few months if all goes well.

Each wick size/jar size/wax/fragrance/dye type needs to be tested and by tested I mean fully burned the entire candle. Even two candles the same but a little more dye or fragrance can use a different wick (prob larger). Candles can potentially be fine in the top half but get dangerous burning near the bottom. I wish I knew this before I started but I've gotten to enjoy the challenge although my pocketbook has not enjoyed it.

Probably the best advice I've gotten on here so far is how serious testing is before selling or giving away candles, as well as product liability insurance if selling. That's fortunately only 500 ish a year. My best friend is an attorney and told me if my mom's house caught fire from my candle even though my beloved mother wouldn't sue me, her home owners insurance would. Of course my mom would say "I don't know where that candle came from" :)

I'm new too but listen to these seasoned chandlers on testing.

You can't extrapolate testing either. I used to make Status jars of the small, medium and large sizes Candle Science sells (switched to medium for money and time reasons for now). Every time I got a ECO 14 to work in the 12 oz medium, the small jar would have a great hot throw in ECO 4. The strongest scent did as well, red hot cinnamon. I switched to a different dye to get a prettier red and the medium jar worked well at 14 but the ECO 4 had 0 hot throw. Perhaps a dozen other scents followed the trend including it with a different dye but it didn't then.

Had I not tested that and assumed it would work, I'd have made a lot of candles that would have made people unhappy with 0 hot throw.

Guest OldGlory

There's yet another reason to test on a totally different level, and that is the difference from batch to batch in the wax you are using. Same type of wax and yet there will be noticeable variances. I test a few candles from every case/batch of wax I buy to make sure my wicking is correct. Only then do I fill my orders. Because I usually buy more than one case at a time, as long as the batch number is the same I don't then test the second case of the same batch.

Even 6006 has to be tested. I recently bought a 'substandard' (by my standards) batch of 6006. After I poured the candles the wax /fractured in the jars. The manufacturer said the batch was within their tolerances and took no responsibility. (You can see pictures of the candles in a thread from late last year.)

Not that a rash of this is expected to happen, but ...

1) It's important to test so that you know what your candle does from the moment it's lit to the end. If you are well informed on your product and you eventually get into selling ... people are likely to stick with you because you know your product where as your competition might be spewing rumors and false info. (It happens ... more than you know, but a customer will feel more at ease with the person who knows what their stuff does than with someone who doesn't.)

2) It's important to test, not just for wick size, but you're looking at your burn, you wax pool .. if in jars then how hot that glass gets ... and you ought to test out different wicks for performance reasons. 

3) Testing also gives you an opportunity to compare how a candle should be burned, to if your product will withstand how a person actually burns a candle ... by that, power burning. You should put your candles through a test that would similar to what the public thinks of how a candle burns. Some don't think they ought to trim a wick ... some think it was meant to burn from start to finish never being extinguished. Some think a candle and draft are best friends etc. 

4) Because you can see the defaults on the inside ... craters come to mind ... trapped FO that just didn't mix well into the wax ... these are things you need to be watching for and they all can be corrected etc. 

5) If for no other reason, the reputation of all candlemakers and yours is at stake the minute you sell. Hard to believe, but you want repeat customers when you start selling ... if you are offering crap, you have no test notes, no knowledge of what you can do to make your product better. The public is your bloodline and if they don't like you eventually no one will because word will spread from mouth to mouth to mouth to mouth and eventually to a group of people you don't even know. In the meantime, the rest of us are combating your ignorance, because the public eventually just assumes we're all alike. 

There's yet another reason to test on a totally different level, and that is the difference from batch to batch in the wax you are using. Same type of wax and yet there will be noticeable variances. I test a few candles from every case/batch of wax I buy to make sure my wicking is correct. Only then do I fill my orders. Because I usually buy more than one case at a time, as long as the batch number is the same I don't then test the second case of the same batch.

Even 6006 has to be tested. I recently bought a 'substandard' (by my standards) batch of 6006. After I poured the candles the wax /fractured in the jars. The manufacturer said the batch was within their tolerances and took no responsibility. (You can see pictures of the candles in a thread from late last year.)

I wasn't aware a batch could be so different. I'll definitely watch out for that

Wow there's so much info available through you guys !! I truly feel like a sponge!! From the bottom of my heart THANK YOU!! Believe me I am filling up a notebook with everything I am being told! You guys are invaluable to someone just starting out! Thank you so much. I do hope to get into selling locally and do have a bit of business experience under my belt so I'm really excited about the possibilities but don't want to go too fast and make a bunch of mistakes and I SURELY don't want to embarrass any of the amazing chandelers that have come before me... I hope to make you all proud!

• Like 1