how you secure a wick on a wick tab

Hello all,

This may seem like a silly question but I need some help with it. How do you tab your wicks????

I'm using cd wicks  which are 6 inches long.  When I wick my 8 ounce candle tins, I cut off the wick and have more than half left. I have bought wick tabs but when I use pliers to secure the wick to the tab, the base bends and I don't feel confident in placing a wick with a bent base in a candle.  I'm no where near selling my candles, there are just for me.

Do you use a special crimping tool, needle nose pliers or something else???  

Get yourself a pair of crimping pliers. They are perfect for attaching wick tabs. You will find them in the electrical section of any hardware store.

Which kind do you prefer? There are hundreds of different models. And which way do you orient the wick tab to the nose of your favorite style?

My husband had a crimping tool that he let me use for that reason but I never really felt comfortable with the way the wicks ended up.  They did not feel like they would hold up enough with wax in them.  so I never really went that way with the left overs.

I save all the left over wick ends and use them for testing new jars and new fragrances.  But they are starting to pile up on me so I might have to revisit that whole crimping tool thang!   :P

Which kind do you prefer? There are hundreds of different models. And which way do you orient the wick tab to the nose of your favorite style?

The ones I have are old and all the marking have warn off. Mine are like this http://www.amazon.com/GB-GS-388-8-Inch-Crimping-Electrical/dp/B00079LN1Y 

That kind has that nice big flat sides and it is perfect for the base of you tab to lay against and not get warped.

I used to buy the long wicks and tabs from Candle Cocoon. The trick is to place your pliers at the very top and crimp. I have a pair of needle nose pliers that work just great for that purpose. I bent the bottoms at first, because of improper placement on the tab. You can save a lot of money tabbing wicks. You want to make sure that the wick end is all the way to the bottom and touching your finger underneath. You don't have to squeeze it to death, just give it a little crimp and you won't warp the tab. Merry Christmas!

• Like 2

Thanks vicky. :)

I have been crimping similarly to Chuck with nn pliers at the top 1/3 of the neck. As long as i see a crimp it usually holds the wick securely.

With Chris' version i can see how you can get that little dimple in the wick tab neck like commercial wick assemblies.

• Like 2

Thanks all,

Thinking back on how I did it, I was crimping towards the bottom of the tab, which caused the ends of the tab to bend up.  I do have electrical crimping pliers around my house somewhere....(the hunt is on)

• 6 months later...

Is there some professional way to do this for more wicks? I don't mind crimping  50-100 wicks at one time but I often need much more than this and I also think of making my own instead of buying the tabbed wicks.