Wax Issues

I have been using KY ParaSoy Tart and Votive wax from RE and I keep having sink holes in my tarts. I have done a second pour and they turn out fine but I am wondering what other blends I can look into to prevent the holes and a second pour. I am totally new to this candle making stuff. :) Thank You!

Guest OldGlory

Any chance you could take a picture of the problem? Sometimes what I describe as a sink hole is different than how someone else describes a sink hole.

I am not sure how to attach it to this post. There isn't a place for images that I can find. It looks like a honey comb or daisy flower shape on the top. Its not deeply indented but enough to make me crazy. If you know of a way to send it I will. I could by email...

I used KY's tart wax for a while and it did the same thing to me. I liked their tart wax but switched to all paraffin. I mix two paraffin waxes together to make mine now. I think if you mixed a little container wax with their tart wax it would be smooth. It seems like I did that but can't remember for sure. Have you tried their 133 wax? I used it too. I liked it because it was granular. I don't remember it making the dimples like the para-soy blend. 

Guest OldGlory

I'm with Vickie - you may be pouring too hot. What temperature does the manufacturer recommend for pouring the wax(es) you use, and at what temperature do you pour?

As of right now I am only using the ParaSoy preblend alone. I did order a couple sample boxes from Peak 6006,4794,4625 to see if that would do a better looking tart but same throw. I am really reserved with blending my own because its overwhelming due to the % ratio and all the factors that can go into my throw not being as good or consistently. I just thought it would be easier to have it preblended since I am fairly new to the wax world.

I've used 4794  alone in clamshells, molds and cups. You can mix 6006 with 4794 if you want a softer tart. I like 4625 by itself when I pour into silicone molds but you'll have to mix it with 6006 (or any container wax) if you're going to pour into cups or clamshells. I currently use a 50/50 ratio of 4625 and 4630 or 4633 in my cups and clamshells. I have mixed 4625 with 6006 and liked that combo too and it makes a very nice tart, but I just wanted to switch to all paraffin.

I know it can be confusing and hair pulling trying to figure out which wax/combo you want to use and which is the best. You'll get a lot of different opinions from people on here but you'll also get a wealth of information that will be very helpful to you.  :) In the end, it'll come down to what works best for you! I still contemplate ordering different wax from time to time LOL!

You are in a great place to gain information!

HTH

• Like 1

I will definitely try that! Thank You. I have been hesitant to post and ask questions because I have been told that the seasoned makers don't really care for helping and those newbies asking questions. Thank You for proving those wrong and helping me. I love this and would love to make some money doing what I like. I can not work outside the home so this is perfect for my family and me. :)

Here is my opinion.  

Your giving up way too soon.  This could very well happen with other waxes that you are contemplating on ordering or have ordered.  This is where you see where we all post you have to test, test, test....lol  From that picture like others have said, I think you have poured a little too hot...but don't worry, you can critique that.  ok, you have it poured the candle.  From that picture you almost got it to a smooth finish...it's a teencey bit off...no biggy....I think the most important thing at this stage is for you to let that candle sit and cure and then burn to test to see how the throw is if the fragrance is strong and you have to get your right size wicking determined for that jar.  Work on the those 2 things first, (correct wick size) and (fragrance compatability).  You might always have to do a 2'nd repour like so many do...I even still do that at times.  It's just the game of candle making.

From looking at the candle more closely it almost seems like too that the wax is pulling away from the jar.  Is that right?  I don't know a thing about that wax so I can't give any suggestions.  But like I said first things first.

When I first started making candles I chose c3 only because my sister used it.  Well I went through everything you are going through right now and we all have been there, done that too.  But I didn't have the money to invest in all sorts of different waxes and I worked and worked at it and would find the fragrances that threw well and others just didn't work.  And you should have seen all the different things that would come up; cottage cheese tops, deep sink holes, cracks, etc....you name it, I got it.  But I was determined I was going to make the c3 work and I finally did.  And each everyone of us who used c3 would say I pour at this temperature, and I pour at that temperature and you would hear all the different suggestions from everyone using the same wax, the same wick and the same jar and we all would get different findings.  Even company suggestions of suggestions they make on how to pour are pretty much suggestions, but they are excellent starting points.  You will find companies suggestions of what wicks to use for a particular jar.  Your going to have to critique that too if need be, but at least you have a good starting point.  Keep asking questions here and pictures are just awesome so everyone can help you.  And remember to let it cure for the right amount of time.

I just went back to look at  your picture and reread your post and I see it was a melt you made, not a jar candle.....lol......sorry about that with me posting about a wicked jar...but that's ok...well now you have info if you do decide to make a jar candle...lol....well still at least everything still applies of what I talked about except you'r not wicking.  Hang in there.

Trappeur

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I am new to the candle making industry. I have been attempting to make candles inside of an 8oz he jar. I use 464 golden brands soy wax. I have recently heated to 185 and poured at 135. My candles resulted in having holes around the wicks and frosting at the top. I used orange dye and pumpkin FO. I also used eco 12 wicks. I then attempted a repour on one yet bubbles still remain. I used a hair dryer to reheat the top where the frosting is and it worked however the wax throughout the rest of the candle looks to have pulled away with discoloration. I did do a burn test and it burned perfectly even on another of the same candle. Help?

I almost forgot! I did another batch except it was fireside FO and I heated the jars prior to the wax pour. I also poured at 170 this time and the candles look perfect all around except for frosting on the top again. I am hesitant to reheat the top in hopes of removing the frosting because I don't want the rest of the candle to pull from the glass. Any suggestions? Thanks

Guest OldGlory

Any chance you could post a picture of the issues you are having? I work a lot with 464 so I might be able to help  you.

Edited:

Also, what is the room temperature in your work area?

Did you mean HEX jar instead of he jar?

Are you using liquid dye?

How much fragrance oil are you using?

When do the bubbles appear? Are they in the pot before pouring? Do they occur as you pour?

Edited by OldGlory

I am using hex jars yes. Sorry about that. I am using liquid dye and 1 ounce of FO per 1lb. The bubbles appear after the candles have settled. Not exactly sure of the room temperature. I am guessing that it's probably around 65 to 70. The bubbles also occur while the candle is burning

Guest OldGlory

I am confused by the bubbles - you might be pouring too fast or stirring too much or both. There should be no bubbles in your wax when you are pouring. I will watch for the picture.

Guest OldGlory

Yes, it sure does! I haven't had a single complaint in 14 years about the rough tops after burning.

Question - are your wicks primed before you use them? (coated with a waxy substance)

Sorry, I don't know how to get a picture from your phone to here.

I will definitely try that! Thank You. I have been hesitant to post and ask questions because I have been told that the seasoned makers don't really care for helping and those newbies asking questions. Thank You for proving those wrong and helping me. I love this and would love to make some money doing what I like. I can not work outside the home so this is perfect for my family and me. :)

Awwww....do not hesitate :) ...we love newbies because we ALL were once newbies! :)