Baffled on FO pouring temps

This is probably a topic covered numerous times but I could not help notice, yet again, that manufacturers of FO's and Wax sometimes say to dump the FO in at low temps (140). Since my scent throw is giving me grief, I wondered if there was some truth to that. I just bought some JS Christmas Pine, Home and Hearth, and Apple Pie and I got zero throw in Soy or Vegie/Para mix.

Any comments?

This is probably a topic covered numerous times but I could not help notice, yet again, that manufacturers of FO's and Wax sometimes say to dump the FO in at low temps (140). Since my scent throw is giving me grief, I wondered if there was some truth to that. I just bought some JS Christmas Pine, Home and Hearth, and Apple Pie and I got zero throw in Soy or Vegie/Para mix.

Any comments?

No way can that be caused by putting it in at too high a temp. People are paranoid about burning off scent and whatever but it just doesn't happen that easily. Not that you're guaranteed better scent throw if you put it in at a higher temp. It's insurance for FOs don't bind as easily unless it's hot.

You know that some FOs just don't throw well in soy. Do you have that prob with stuff you get from The Scented Bean?

The Scented Bean and some of Candle Cocoon's are the only no brainers that throw no matter how bad I muck it up.
There you go.

You may not realize how true it is even though you've heard it, but a lot of FOs just don't work well in soy. You can test a lot of duds.

What's special about The Scented Bean is that they resell the FOs they buy for their candle business. They've already tested them and they work. I think Lyschel is a big soy user too.

It's not you.

I remember having issues getting the 1945 (4630 we call it now I think) to throw adding the FO at 165-170. I boosted the temp to 180-185 for adding the FO and it did get much better. Have been doing that with all the waxes now. Not sure if it is true with all wax, but it seems to have helped me with the ones I have used.

It's not you.

Thanks. It's nice to know that I am not be a complete candle making idiot. But man do I have a lot of FO's that I guess I'll have to sell or stare at wistfully....

It also sounds like I need to at my FO's at at least 185. Thanks everybody!!

It also sounds like I need to at my FO's at at least 185.
Many people say it increases bubbles and other bad things to heat up soy wax too much. I haven't totally verified that's true but have adopted it anyway, so I draw the line at 180. I suppose that should be high enough to get things properly mixed.

Incentive to try paraffin. ;)

I agree with that whole-heartedly. Soy, palm wax, any of the specialty waxes to me seems a pain, I've heard they're a pain to wick, not to mention scent throw so I've leered from them quite a bit. I enjoy working with paraffin.

I'm actually conducting a rather unusual experiment with wax that I hope to post the results of soon. I'm curious to see how many people either smack me with pillows or sledgehammers.