Diving in with both feet (delurking and intro)

So.... where the heck to start??

I have this habit of diving into a new hobby full throttle, then end up with boxes full of junk because I got every gadget and gizmo and most of them were useless.

Not this time! This time is going to be different! Probably, maybe, we'll have to see :-)

I'm actually sort of a second generation chandler, my dad used to make candles 'way back when. He used an ancient electric frying pan with a small layer of wax in it and his melt pots sitting in the pool of wax... not the best strategy I don't think.

I've decided that I want to mostly make jelly jar containers, using Soy (just to be different). I'd like to get to the point where I can make some as gifts, but mostly it's for my own fun and so we can have some nice ly scented candles around the apartment. My wife is fairly sensitive to scents (go into a candle shop for more than about 30 seconds she comes out with a headache), so I figure this is a good way to find scents that don't bother her, and to tailor the throw so they're not smacking you in the face.

What I've got or am getting is the Soy Container kit from Peak, and a sampler of FOs to try out, and a Presto pot. I figure that's a nice simple starting point, and from what I've been reading I should plan on sticking to the EcoSoy wax until I've got it all sussed out, which makes a lot of sense to me. The shipment from Peak arrives today, the pot not until Monday... it's not going to be easy keeping from playing with the new toys over the weekend!!

Anyhoo, eager to get started, looking forward to the journey, no idea how the heck I'll be able to leave a new candle for two weeks to cure, I'll want to burn it NOW NOW NOW!!! Yes, I know, patience... lol.

So, having read everything I can get my mitts on, any other handy hints? What do you wish someone had told you when you were first starting out?

Thanks heaps!

Bruce.

What do you wish someone had told you when you were first starting out?

Test! Test! Test! your Wicks. For yourself and or for gifts, you must test burn for every different scent, jar and color. I've been addicted to the madness for 16 years now, and I still facepalm on a daily basis.

Oh! One thing I forgot to mention/ask: Where is a good place in Northern California to get supplies, especially wax? Some of the shipping charges from various places have me a little spooked.

Thanks!

Bruce.

Test! Test! Test! your Wicks. For yourself and or for gifts, you must test burn for every different scent, jar and color. I've been addicted to the madness for 16 years now, and I still facepalm on a daily basis.

Thanks, that message has come through loud and clear from all sorts of threads!

My plan is to stick to one wax, one jar, and just a few scents. Maybe maybe switch to another container for a christmas candle I'd love to make once I'm confident enough (which I'm guessing is going to be in time for Christmas 2016, not 2015)

Cheers!

Bruce.

I am in So. Cali. but sometimes I eat the shipping so I know I'm getting the best. To your south is "General wax" in Los Angeles. I have not used their wax though. You already know about "Peak". I am not familiar of any up North Ca. way but there is a sticky on the forum for suppliers.

I am in So. Cali. but sometimes I eat the shipping so I know I'm getting the best. To your south is "General wax" in Los Angeles. I have not used their wax though. You already know about "Peak". I am not familiar of any up North Ca. way but there is a sticky on the forum for suppliers.

Thanks Sixx,

I did find General Wax and another who's name escapes me in North Hollywood, so I told my wife we need to leave space in the car next time we head down to Disneyland so I can pick up a case or two... :-)

I must have overlooked the suppliers sticky, I'll go look for it now!

Cheers,

Bruce.

Hello Bruce!

Welcome to Craftserver! You are way ahead of the game just being lucky enough to found this wonderful site! If I would of had this starting out, I could of saved myself a ton of money not to mention time. There are so many amazing peeps on here. My best advice is to read as much as you can. So many people think candlemaking is easy and that is so far from the truth. Safety should be your top priority. I also use soy and I love it! Good luck and have a great weekend! :) :) :)

Welcome, Bruce!

You sound just like me...wanting to jump in full speed ahead into a hobby, buying everything on the market because you think you just might need it. Lol. It took a lot of willpower to start slow with this hobby, but I am glad I did.

I've only been doing this for about three months now. Newbie to newbie, I would say do what you're doing. I started out with one type of container wax and a pillar wax, a few different wicks, two containers, and a few scents and colors and just started playing with those waxes to get to know them. Once I finish with a wax, I try another to see the differences. It's tough to go slow but, as the others said above, it's so very necessary because testing is extremely important. I've learned that repeatedly in these last few months. And as Daisymay66 said, we are lucky to have this forum with all its detailed and wonderful info because many of the seasoned crafters on here started out with only books to guide them, and they are kind enough to share their experience and expertise with beginners like us.

Have a blast as you begin this excellent hobby! :D

• Like 1

A digital scale is a must.  I'm in Central Cal and General Wax is pretty cheap on shipping anywhere in CA,  and they have a store that you can visit if you head down to the North Hollywood area. 

There is also a supplier in Glendora, CA but I'm not sure if they have a website, thinking their name is California Candle Supplies or something along those lines.   Pick somewhere close to get your wax

because shipping will kill you otherwise.  There are probably lots of things around your house you can use to get started, like glass measuring cups to mix your wax & fo , old serving spoons for stirring or bamboo skewers for stirring. 

Have fun!!

Guest OldGlory

Don't ask me why, but soy has to cure and it's best to wait 2 weeks to test a fragrance (as you have already noted), and around 3 or 4 days to test a wick. Sucks, I know, but it is what it is. If you don't wait those cure times, you will have inaccurate test results.

Enjoy the journey!

Edited by OldGlory

Don't ask me why, but soy has to cure and it's best to wait 2 weeks to test a fragrance (as you have already noted), and around 3 or 4 days to test a wick. Sucks, I know, but it is what it is. If you don't wait those cure times, you will have inaccurate test results.

Enjoy the journey!

But but but but but!  :P

Instant gratification, and stuff!

All kidding aside, knowing myself as I do, what I'll probably end up doing is make my first batch and have one or two that I know I'll be lighting 'way before they're ready just to sooth my impatience while the real test candles will get a full two week cure.

Cheers,

Bruce.

P.S.: Where's that darned UPS guy!!!?????  B)

Guest OldGlory

I think it's a great idea to burn a few before they are ready so you experience the difference. I don't know if you've read the wicking shortcuts - pour the candle without a wick, let it sit the right amount of time, then use a skinny skewer (thin knitting needle..) to poke a hole in the wax. Now you have a place for your wick, you can pull it out if you need to try a different size. Just remember that you have to stop burning it before the wax all liquefies.

One thing I can contribute to this conversation is that after you are done testing whatever jars your doing I save all the left over wax left in the bottom of your conainers for firestarters.  You will always have leftover wax in your pour pot too so that is saved.  Nothing goes to waste for me...What I usually do is all my bakery type fragrance I'll just remove out of the jars or the left over wax in your pour pot and put into little cups/containers/plastic cups and put to the side till I pour my firestarters.  The woodsy type scents go into another, and the spa-ish into another.

Trappeur

• Like 1

One thing I can contribute to this conversation is that after you are done testing whatever jars your doing I save all the left over wax left in the bottom of your conainers for firestarters.

I like this advice.

I mean, I don't have a fireplace but I do like to start fires.

Thanks everyone! The waiting for the Presto Pot (arriving tomorrow) is killing me!!!

Leftovers will probably go into a coffee can to become a big citronella candle out on the balcony, since we don't know anyone with a fireplace, or fire pit to put fire starters to use.

Counting down!!! hehe

If you weigh everything out correctly, you should have very little if any leftovers. I use a 15 oz wax with one ounce fragrance oil to fill two 8 oz jars or one 16 oz jar and there is zero left over. This ususally works real well with those one ounce samplers for testing. My wife is sensitive to the concentrated fumes of multiple fragrance oils and has gotten really ill on several occasions. I try to pour when she isn't home or to open a window with a fan blowing outward and close doors. She hates florals and can tolerate some bakery if they aren't too strong. Its just that you really pollute the indoor air with those contrated fumes. Pure soy was a huge pain for me and using a parasoy turned out to be the best of both words (soy-paraffin). Good luck and have fun.

Steve