First official soap making day

craftimade

Hi everyone,

I've been a candle maker now for 3 years and work only with Soy wax making melts, votives and jar candles.
I have a small retail shop (50m2) in my town and I needed to expand my selling options so now im trying my luck at soap.

I have been watching youtube videos and ready blogs on melt and pour soap as I simply don't have months to wait for the soap to crue.

I purchased 5kg of goat milk soap and some colours and scent and I started working on my soap yesterday.

Here is a few photos of my Champagne & Strawberries soap with Clear soap red hearts.

I hope I have done ok, I will be giving these a try in the next few days. :)

post-11439-0-74421100-1420858902_thumb.j

post-11439-0-17868200-1420858912_thumb.j

• Like 2

This is what I love about M&P. It is fun to work with and easy to learn. Plus you can start selling immediately. Just make sure you always use soap safe fragrance.

Your Valentine heart soaps are adorable! Have you tried one yet? If you have been using commercial soap you sometimes have to adjust to using homemade soap. It felt different to me at first but once I got used to it I could never use commercial soap again.

I tried it last night, it was great.

I think the supplier of the m&p soap said wait 24-48 hours after pouring to selling just to let it set and wrap it in plastic wrap to hot let it sweat.
I think my bars need to be bigger though. 80 grams is nice size but might be a bit small. Most bars of soap at 90-100 grams.

If this helps, when I make my M&P soaps I cover them with sheets of wax paper and place them in a dry cool area to cure and dry until I am ready to package and box up.

The wax paper will help keep moisture off the soap as its drying. If the room is humid use a fan to dry out the air. When you are ready package your soaps or place them in box, container, etc. to keep the moisture off them.

I usually label, wrap, and box mine the next day or day after. I use cigar labels then wrap up my soap in wax paper, then box them in a container for transport to and from shows.

Remember to always display your soaps in a dry, cool, area out of direct sunlight. I store in a dry, cool, dark area.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

Here is another one I did yesterday and just got them out of the mould. There is just 3 of these soap bars as it was a test.

It's Lime, Basil & Mandarin in Goats Milk M&P with clear soap in yellow and green swirls.

As I was un-moulding them, I got an order for 20 of them from a lady walking around my shop. yay!

BTW - I put the heart soaps from the first post into a small container and today they are not "wet" any more. I will check them tomorrow.

Some photos.

post-11439-0-69847500-1421028587_thumb.j

post-11439-0-45280500-1421028593_thumb.j

• Like 2

I ended up wrapping up one of the heart soaps in the shop just to see how it would look and it sold as a lady walked in. Thankfully I got a photo before that.
I've made another 50 hearts yesterday and hopefully with a little luck I can get them all done in the next few days.

post-11439-0-96432000-1421182038_thumb.j

• Like 3

I wrapped them all up today and they go on sale tomorrow morning.

I have 4 Champagne & Strawberries but I just made anther 10 - ready for tomorrow, 3 x Lime, Basil & Mandarin, 4 x  Lemon Myrtle and 20 x Chanel No5 Type.

If they sell well then I will be sure to make more of the,.

Here are some photos.

post-11439-0-84174000-1421214343_thumb.j

post-11439-0-98668000-1421214350_thumb.j

post-11439-0-10656200-1421214357_thumb.j

post-11439-0-29978200-1421214371_thumb.j

• Like 3

It's amazing what you can learn on youtube :)
I was a programmer/web design/graphic designer for 10 years before starting candles.

My labels are round 4.5cm - printed by inkjet printer on sticky paper, then stuck to a sheet of colour cardboard then cut out with Scissors by hand.

I am going to need more ribbon colours. :D

Current candle customers are now asking me for custom soaps. This is just amazing to me. Not that long ago I made my first melt and pour and now I am taking orders.
Finished off some Strawberry and Love Spell soaps today. Im starting to really love soap making.
Photo below.

post-11439-0-00677000-1421300954_thumb.j

• Like 2