Woodwick for Glass Glow Palm in Cube Jar

I have been playing around with the wood wicks in a status jar but I don't like the way it burns.  Either the flame is too big and sucks up the wax way too fast and if I go down one size the flame is very small and barely burns.  

I think I will just stick to my regular wicks.  

I ordered one from a company that makes them and theirs burned to fast too.  

Guest OldGlory

coachtom, take the plunge!

How big is your container? I can give you a ball park guess on a size, but since I don't use glass glow palm I can't give you an exact size. I put wood wicks in 464 and pillars.

Be prepared to try 3 or 4 different sizes before you find something you are happy with. I finally found the right combination for my really large jars and my 1 lb tins, but it took 4 different combos before I found what I wanted. Also, I trim the wood wicks and set them in an X formation. I am pretty sure you will get a similar result if you use the wicks back to back, and that is going to be a LOT easier for you.

Once I know how big your jar is, I'll recommend a few sizes of wood wicks from Bittercreek. I have tried some others but keep going back to Bittercreek.

The burning woodwick is a fickle thing. I suppose this is because it's a natural substance and natural things are a bit inconsistent in their makeup. You have to be happy with a few spots in the wick when the flame is somewhat weak, and conversely, when the flame is somewhat larger than you might want. However, it still needs to burn in a consistent overall manner, not overheat the jar, and provide a great fragrance throw.

Guest OldGlory

Ok, I would buy sizes 4, 5, & 6, and be sure to order the wick clips. I think you will be using either 2 size 5s or a 5 and a 4 - that is where I would start. But, since I don't know your wax, I would go ahead and get the 6 as well in case you have to wick up.

The wick clip will stop the burn about 1/3" from the bottom. You will have a little bit of contained heat when you get down into the candle but it may not be enough to have to trim the bottom of one of your wicks to slow it down. However, keep that in mind.

Let me know how it goes for you.

• 1 month later...

I finally tried the wood wick in my glass glow in the square libbey. I over shot the mark the first go with a .625 inch non-crackle. Been burning it for 6+ hours at a whack, trimming when it seems the flame is a bit too high. Once this one is burned out I think i'll try the .5 inch. Thinking the .25 inch will do well in the 3" diameter round status.

http://www.woodcandlewick.com had a full set of all of their wicks. Whoever suggested that company, a big giant thank you!

Web address fixed.

Edited by TallTayl

I've used woodwick in the cube jar and the lucida jar from CS. I loved the way they burned. I used 6% of the Plumeria fragrance and 6% Hawaiian Breeze and they did really well. I ended up moving and lost my woodwicks, but I definitely want to order more.

• Like 1

An update to my libbey cube. The .625 with glass glow is definitely too big. Way too big. As in it caught fire too big. Back to the drawing board. In C3 soy in a tin the .625 was just about right unscented/uncolored.

ChrisR, i just used regular scissors to trim the wicks. Not elegant, but worked ok.

I have not burned enough from start to finish to really decide yet. i started with the premium crackle in soy tins and really liked the effect.

The premium crackle burned nice and steady in the soy wax 8 oz tins. I need to repeat the burn tests with the others. Too many choices leaves me stuck :-/

I think I may start with the premium too but sample both anyway. I'm just thinking that a more crackling sound coming from a small jar might be a bit much but I won't know til I give it a try.

Gawd I would love to get me some of those custom wood lids. I have a small crafters woodburning set and might play around with it and some of those wood lids. Hmmm... I am also thinking of maybe getting a custom branding iron...  those wood lids are giving me ideas! LOL

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I want to mention again how tickled I am with the wood wicks from BCN. I have found (through 2 months of endless testing) that they do not need to be trimmed when you have the right wick/wax ratio.

Guest OldGlory

OG - do they self extinguish reliably?

Do you mean at the end of the candle? Yes, the wick holder I use is about 1/2" tall so there's wax left in the container when it goes out.

Guest OldGlory

Do woodwicks in general tend to burn a candle faster... or shorter? Just wondering if the total candle burn hours are noticably different than a regular wick.

That is hard to answer. I have been testing (and finally happy with them) pretty wide containers - 3 1/2" and 4", which would require 2 regular wicks and I have never double wicked a candle. Double wicking consumes the wax faster doesn't it?