soot....black smoke

I have been looking but really haven't found anything that addresses it, but I am getting black some from my 4630 12oz candles... what is the first few things you would think I should look at?  I know you guys have seen thins a ton on probably know exactly what to do...

Well.... They are the correct size from what I have seen but I tried to double wick with them.... I take it that was not a good idea....  I guess this is why I learned from you guys to test, test test.... but seriously, do you think that would be it????

Guest OldGlory

Well.... They are the correct size from what I have seen but I tried to double wick with them.... I take it that was not a good idea....  I guess this is why I learned from you guys to test, test test.... but seriously, do you think that would be it????

:waiting:   seriously, all 3 of us think it might be the wick situation.

I am having a smoke problem, but it's because I am testing with 4627. On top of that, I'm testing wooden wicks, so the combination is a nightmare to wick. First burn is usually great, then on subsequent burns as soon as you light the candle, smoke pours out of the wick. It seems like the wood wick really sucks up the wax, because when I go to touch it/trim it after it's been blown out and sitting, the wick is super greasy. Anyone know if adding a small amount of soy (10%) would help this issue? I don't have any straight soy laying around so would have to order some to test.

Anyhow, I know this isn't the exact same issue as you are having OP, but it really does seem to all boil down to the wick with smoke.  Soot further down in the jar might be a little different, but I think if you light up the wick and it immediately starts smoking, it's definitely the wick.

Combustion will always result in some residue, no matter what combination you use. If you are using a bakery fo with high vanilla or vanillin (4% or higher) then you are going to get soot. Excessive soot would be the result of inefficient consumption of wax, either the jar is over wicked or you are using the wrong type of wick for that combination of wax and fo.

Double wicking is one way to make the burn more efficient. Say the candle will handle an 18cd wick but it smokes like crazy. You wick with two 8cd wicks and get less residue and you find that the ht has improved, well then you choose the best combination. You pour another fragrance and find that one wick handles it just fine and there is no need to double wick. You also have to consider whether the smaller wicks distribute heat more efficiently and keep the jar cooler. Easy huh? HTH

Steve

• Like 2

I always wait to trim my wick just before I relight it and then I trim it really really close with those big toe nail clippers and try to get all the "burned" wood trimmed off.  Works like a charm!  This might help Jbrooks but don't know about the original poster!

Edited by grama

I always wait to trim my wick just before I relight it and then I trim it really really close with those big toe nail clippers and try to get all the "burned" wood trimmed off. Works like a charm! This might help Jbrooks but don't know about the original poster!

Thanks for the tip!!! :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

:waiting:   seriously, all 3 of us think it might be the wick situation.

Too much wick

Too much fragrance

Too much color

Any combo of the above.

That 12 oz status jar is only a smidge over 3 inches in diameter. Not really a double wicker IMO.

I am a little confused about your double wick... When you say double wicked, did you put 2 of the wicks recommended for a single wicked container? I mean, if the wick guide stated (made up)size XYZ12, did you put 2 XYZ12 or two XYZ6 that could be half the size?