Wal-mart

Went to wally world yesterday and they were selling 16oz candles(better home) for under $6... WOW... Got to be huge bulk rates when purchasing. I was thinking of buying one to see how it does, but NO!!!! Probably should have just to see the quality.  Just thought it was a crazy price!

Never fear......with the right product/scent....no one will look at Walmart. Just saying...... :)Now, there are people who buy them....but if you offer the right line to your customers...you will do fine. Competition is GOOD for all of us and makes us work HARD to offer better.... :)

• Like 1

My customers buy everyone's wax! They still buy plenty of mine but one did post a pic of an entire aisle display of Fall candles from WM. They were $3.97. Pretty colors and a few people responded to her post (the Facebook wax world is a fascinating place-if you are going to sell, you should hop in. There is much to learn and see there!) that they got a few and they were good. 

Since I sell nationwide, anyone else who makes and sells wax is someone to study.

• Like 1

My customers buy everyone's wax! They still buy plenty of mine but one did post a pic of an entire aisle display of Fall candles from WM. They were $3.97. Pretty colors and a few people responded to her post (the Facebook wax world is a fascinating place-if you are going to sell, you should hop in. There is much to learn and see there!) that they got a few and they were good. 

Since I sell nationwide, anyone else who makes and sells wax is someone to study.

Is this the page?????    https://www.facebook.com/worldofwaxandsudz

That looks like one seller's page. What Smells So Good is perhaps the best wax community on Facebook. It is general in nature rather than being one vendor's group. Lots of discussion on what they are melting, favorite vendors, favorite scents. GOOD research and once you are selling, great places to share restocks, giveaways and such. There are many, many other FB wax groups. Each of us who sell online also have individual Facebook pages and groups. Most groups are Closed and require approval to join. People prefer closed groups. They can discuss wax without criticism and ridicule from friends and family who would otherwise see their comments on Facebook. 

Here is a link to What Smells So Good:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/320650621377689/

I picked up a Better Homes (edit: or was it Mainstays?) candle a few years ago (before I started making candles) to put on the Thanksgiving table. Great CT, absolutely ZERO HT. The price told me to buy it the first time. The non-existent throw told me to never do so again lol!

Edited by daisy_mae
  • Like 2

Flair, Walmart and similar box-stores will almost always sell cheaper but, imho, they have cheap products, poorly made, so in the end it is no great bargain. You are not selling to the Walmart crowd, right?  Well, I'm not, lol.  If you are, Walmart will put you out of business in no time. 

Once or twice a year I make my rounds in town and buy the competitors' candles.  Just the other day I bought two large candles from Michael's for $8.  Yep, two 16oz. candles for $8!! Lovely CT, absolutely no HT.  In most cases, our inexpensive competitors will scent only the top portion of the wax, or pour the middle of the candle with scented wax, but not all over. No wonder many ask, "whatever happened?  I can n longer smell it!"

I've seen (as I'm pretty sure you have also) candles with off-center wicks, horrible bumps on the candle surface, lousy burn... the pits, lol

Don't try to be like Walmart - in any way - aim higher; you can do it! When customers experience quality, they will return and gladly pay your price because a quality, well-made candle is the real good deal  ;)

• Like 2

If you sell online (website, Etsy, Facebook group, etc.) I can try and add you. They will ask you to complete a doc with your web information as soon as they accept you in. It is a group of other online sellers. Helpful tricks and tips and also some good watch outs. Online sales and buyers are so very different from my local buyers. Message me with your Facebook info.

If you sell online (website, Etsy, Facebook group, etc.) I can try and add you. They will ask you to complete a doc with your web information as soon as they accept you in. It is a group of other online sellers. Helpful tricks and tips and also some good watch outs. Online sales and buyers are so very different from my local buyers. Message me with your Facebook info.

Me too!

That looks like one seller's page. What Smells So Good is perhaps the best wax community on Facebook. It is general in nature rather than being one vendor's group. Lots of discussion on what they are melting, favorite vendors, favorite scents. GOOD research and once you are selling, great places to share restocks, giveaways and such. There are many, many other FB wax groups. Each of us who sell online also have individual Facebook pages and groups. Most groups are Closed and require approval to join. People prefer closed groups. They can discuss wax without criticism and ridicule from friends and family who would otherwise see their comments on Facebook. 

Here is a link to What Smells So Good:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/320650621377689/

Thanks for the link. I haven't looked for candle makers groups yet on facebook.  Or I guess I should say chandlers groups.  :)  I don't know anyone personally who makes candles, so I have to bore my friends and family talking about it.

The What Smells So Good page is a user/consumer group. Just wanted to be certain I had not confused the two groups. You will not want to talk about how you make product and about your supplies there.

There are a few good wax maker's groups on Facebook and MANY general user/consumer groups as well.

Edited by justajesuschick

Gail! Please do read the posting guidelines for each consumer group you join. The What Smells So Good page requires that postings just be a sentence or two with a mention that pictures and details are in comments.

I already figured out that I'm in the wrong group there.  :)  I scrolled down a lot, and most people talk about melts that they buy.  But I did like the name of that one.