Masterbuilt Turkey Fryer

Mine has the outer stainless unit, and an inner "liner" so to speak. It did come with the steamer basket but I do not use that. I took this pic a couple of months ago, and although not the best, it was still on my phone, so I am sharing.

The heating element on mine is attached to the electronic thermostat. The element does come in contact with the wax.

f238d51f-d416-4340-9790-d50f4feb0cea_zps

• Like 1

With the old style you have to add melted wax to cover the heating elements the first time you use it or that is what I read in the past.  If you didn't then your wax would scorch.  I melt wax in my large pour pot to cover the heating element then I can add my solid wax.  

Edited to add I have 3 prestos with the pour spout that I mix my wax and dye, fragrance in though.   

Edited by grama

With the old style you have to add melted wax to cover the heating elements the first time you use it or that is what I read in the past.  If you didn't then your wax would scorch.  I melt wax in my large pour pot to cover the heating element then I can add my solid wax.  

I was just informed of this very thing earlier today. 

I was able to find a brand new Masterbuilt Turk & Surf turkey fryer (with spigot) identical to the one in the picture that Karen posted above, from Craigslist for $60.00. I am excited to give it a try this weekend. 

• Like 1

I have one in use and one waiting in the shop if ever my old one conks out. Bass Pro Shop used to place these on sale in the fall but this style of fryer has been discontinued due to people burning up their homes with exploding turkeys. Electric Turkey Fryer: The Cajun Injector Electric Turkey Fryer is the original electric turkey fryer that was introduced a few years ago. The Cajun Injector Electric Turkey Fryer is the SAME electric turkey fryer that was originally made by Masterbuilt. This 28 quart electric turkey fryer with digital controls includes an auto shut-off and a seafood kettle with adjustable digital thermostat control. The Cajun Injector Electric Turkey Fryer is countertop safe and has a powder coat finish. You can take out the stainless steel tub and clean it and put it back in without a problem and the spout never clogs up. It doesn't burn the wax (parasoy) and it holds 25 to 30 pounds comfortably. You can heat up your wax in a heartbeat and be ready to go by the time you have everything ready to pour. You better buy it while you can and get another one for back up, and no you can't have mine, lol.

Steve

• Like 1

LOL Steve - my first question was going to be "how much for your extra one?!?" haha... 

Okay, actually I was planning on just going ahead and getting the Cajun one anyway, but still keeping my eye out for a Masterbuilt. 

I will keep receipt and warranty and if it goes out within too soon of a time, I will send it back (hopefully) :) 

Thank you for the advice and knowledge. 

OK - check out this link

http://www.turkey-fryers.com/MB_20010406_turkey_fryer_kits.htm

This is the Cajun Injector - Probably as close as you'll find.  Price is not to bad if you really want one! $109.00.  I see where this was mentioned earlier but from looking this is as close as you will get to the original Masterbuilt.  

• 28 quart electric turkey fryer
  • Digital controls
  • Perforated frying basket
  • Lift hook
Edited by grama

Jcandleattic, on 04 Sept 2014 - 07:26 AM, said:

I've searched ebay, craigslist, etsy - just about anywhere I can think of and I can't seem to find one. :(

Oh well. I'll keep looking. No immediate hurry for it, so... 

There's one on Craigslist too, but it's up in Frisco and it comes with 2 gallons of peanut oil. It's green! lol!  :D

Edited by mzpickles

Candybee, on 02 Sept 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

I never thought of using a turkey fryer. Is it safe for melting wax?

I have a GE turkey roaster I got at Wally's that holds about 20+ lbs of wax. The wax never touches the heating elements because there is a pan that fits into the entire inside of the roaster itself insulating the wax.

Ok Candybee, now I want a turkey roaster like yours....to roast turkey in! :laugh2:

There's one on Craigslist too, but it's up in Frisco and it comes with 2 gallons of peanut oil. It's green! lol!  :D

Yeah, I saw that one, but it's too far away. :( Frisco is a 2 hour drive for me. 

I have the GE Turkey Roaster that Candybee posted about. It works great to melt wax, but there is no pour spout so you have to scoop the wax out. :-/ 

Now that I am searching right on ebay I'm finding them. :) 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

You can take out the stainless steel tub and clean it and put it back in without a problem and the spout never clogs up. It doesn't burn the wax (parasoy) and it holds 25 to 30 pounds comfortably. You can heat up your wax in a heartbeat and be ready to go by the time you have everything ready to pour. You better buy it while you can and get another one for back up

• 2 years later...

Hello -- long time reader, first time poster here. 

I learned of using these Masterbuilt fryers for melting wax a couple years ago on this board, and love them!

I had a total of five at one point for a big project, two for melting wax an another two for melting gelatin. Alas, I need to make room in my studio so I'm getting rid of two of them, and since these are getting harder to find I thought I'd post here in case anyone is looking to upgrade. These are the digital versions in black, they are wiped clean spick and span, and work great. If anyone is interested, here are the links to my two ebay auctions: 

Auction 1: http://ebay.to/2hdRPTk

Auction 2: http://ebay.to/2hJxBhl

Cheers! 

• 4 months later...
On 9/3/2014 at 10:21 AM, Candybee said:

Hmmmmm.... first thing you notice is no spout. That sucks.

They do have a spout. You just can't see it on the picture. I have one coming that I ordered. It should be here  on Sunday. Actually, they have a spout and a small drain hose attached. It will be interesting to try it out with wax.

Edited by geodon99

• 11 months later...
On 9/3/2014 at 3:43 PM, justajesuschick said:

No, that is the heating element and the built in thermometer (I still hang my own trusty probe thermometer as it shows temp most accurately). The thermostat unit is attached to the heating element and is hanging on the top right of the fryer in the picture.

So melt wax in a presto pot and pour into the turkey fryer to cover the heating element on the bottom, then you're okay to dump in wax flakes to keep it full of wax? Do you not have to worry about the wax flakes touching the heating element and scorching/burning?