Been playing with making some melt bars. Pics inside.

justajesuschick

Since my wax is naked, making loaves, chunky melts and such is not really something I can do. I started playing around with making Melt Bars. Right now I just make them for fun to add into large orders as gifts. I make them in blends that I do not currently have in the line. Then, if I get good feedback, I add those blends in to the regular line. Now I have a some customers asking that I regularly carry them or if I would sell the whole "cake". They are 2 pounds total. I cut them with a crinkle cutter into 3-5 ounce bars.

So, I am happy with them. I admire the colorful cakes, pies, chunks and loaves that many of you make so beautifully. I am not able to share anything like that but I wanted to share pics of my naked Melt Bars!

144000f5-c602-41ef-9e41-5a68ae10b0d1_zps

e7d722f1-0120-40fa-b45a-ad6bcf553432_zps2d2d3974-a9cd-4b57-ab1a-371aeeb574ea_zps

• Like 2

if it works for you and your customers go for it. I think it's a cute idea. Having customers that want them is a plus for you! It's a nice feeling when people request things. I like the fondant mat idea. My husband is just starting soap making, so I might steal some of his molds and mats for my wax melts as well. Still working on some candle ideas at the moment. It's hard to stay on track..

They look great!!   I've been wanting to get some of those fondant mats for my soaps.  I never thought about using them for wax.  (don't worry, I won't copy)  I think they'll be great sellers!

You most certainly SHOULD try them! You would not be copying me at all! I saw the idea with soaps and just tried it with wax.

What a wonderful idea and very pretty. How do you give them to your customers? Do you wrap each square or place them in a box or some kind of container?

I put them in polypro bags tied with fabric. I put the label on the back so that the pattern can show through the front.

Do you use a softer wax?  When cutting them, they don't break?  They're gorgeous!

After working so long on a wax blend, I just use the wax blend that goes in my cups. It is a blend of pillar and container wax so it slices nicely. I wish that it would not smudge the bags at all but I am not willing to change my throw to have a different wax.

Those are beautiful- very nice concept!

I didnt even know what a fondant mat was....lol

After looking them up I found a wood grain one that goes with my theme- just may have to try this for a bridal shower this Fall

The woodgrain one goes with mine, too! I was afraid with my naked wax that the pattern would not be as visible with that one.

Since they are for fondant or buttercream, do you have to pour at a pretty low temp to not melt them? 

I do not. I pour at my regular temp. The mats I chose are silicone and while they do not boast safe to 500 degrees as my other silicone items, they are dishwasher safe. Many I found online were plastic like perhaps candy molds. I did not choose those because I did not want to have to pour cooler. I love my wax and did not want to change anything about it to be able to try these.

Well, my first attempt at doing this hasn't gone great.  What material pan did you pour into?  I poured into a square glass pan, but it's not coming out of there anytime soon... LOL.   I put it in the freezer, ran the blow dryer all over it, and now it's sitting in front of a little heater and hopefully far enough away it won't melt the pattern.  Should I not have poured into glass?  Or maybe used some kind of release spray?  Next time I will try metal that has a little give to it.  I have a feeling I'll be scooping this out in a minute here!

I got it out!  It is beautiful, but I realize I poured it way too thick.  Had to hammer the soap cutter through it.  Next time I will use a metal pan and only go about an inch thick or maybe a little more.  The way I did it, I will have to cut them very small so not much of the pattern is going to show on the top.  Might just remelt it and experiment again.   What a great idea and thanks for sharing. 

I chuckled at your post as I pictured you trying to coax it out of the pan!

I use a nonstick 8" metal cake pan. I pour 2 pounds of wax into mine and my bars are about 1" thick. I use my own blend of paraffin container and pillar/votive wax and it slices nicely.

I ended up remelting it and poured it into a metal 9x12.  I haven't tried getting it out yet.  This will be great as a nice little gift for my friends and family.  There's going to be a lot of pumpkin souffle' to spread around soon now!

I got a special order for a 2 pound bar Friday and I poured it yesterday. She did not care about the pattern so I poured it right into the pan. I just turned it out onto a cutting board. I will use a crinkle cutter and cut it into 1-2 ounce chunks later today. It is in a scent that she normally buys in cups by the dozen. I will put the chunks into a polypro bag, label the bag and be done. This is easier for her and for me!

I ended up remelting it and pouring into a 9x12 metal pan (much easier to release) and then it worked well.  This will be nice little gifts for friends and family, so thanks for sharing!  They will be getting a lot of pumpkin souffle' shortly :)