Greetings and salutations!

My name is Steve, and in case you haven't already guessed, I'm new. New to this message board, new to candle making (sort-of, will get to that...), and new to business.

I'm 41, and up until a few months ago I never really knew what I wanted to do when I grew up. I've done just about every imaginable job since I was a teenager, from raking dead fish up off the public beach (yes, eew is right!), to climbing radio towers (good money!), to being a freelance paralegal (headaches!).

Looking in the mirror one morning, it occurred to me that I should be looking for the job to end all jobs- something that would take me into retirement and possibly beyond- regardless of how much or how little it paid. Something that would fill a void in my life, connect me with my community, and bring me some joy and peace. As a bonus, something to leave behind for my 16-year-old Daughter should she choose to rejoin my life someday...

I remembered when she was much younger, we made candles together for gifts when she came to visit me. It was a bonding experience for us, and I reflected upon seeing a candle maker when I was a boy, and how I was awestruck with his creations!

Over the years I've been a fairly technical worker, trying to fit in with auto mechanics, construction workers, and the like. I've never really explored my left brain much, until I wished those candle days with my Daughter were back...

I certainly don't have the kind of money I once had, having survived family court nightmares and other deep personal tragedies. The good news is during this dark time in my life, a small glimmer of light remains- not a lightbulb idea, but the tiny flame from a candle! It is growing brighter every day!

Reading some of your stories the last week or so, I am further inspired. It's good to feel a part of something larger than myself, and I am thankful for the opportunity to join you! To be continued...

Thank you everybody! One thing I've found interesting over the last few months (researching vendors, other small business folks etc), and now here in these forums, is there seems to be a lot of Tennessee folks in candles! Funny because I travel between here and there a lot- my Daughter lives there!

Again, I appreciate the warm reception!

Welcome! I love it here and hope you will as well and I give my best wishes to you and your new journey!

Beginning to make candles and joining this forum is what helped get me thru the economy crash- emotionally

We own a business with several divisions that took a direct hit, I hope you continue to see the light thru creations that come from within you

Edited by moonshine

Thank you everybody! One thing I've found interesting over the last few months (researching vendors, other small business folks etc), and now here in these forums, is there seems to be a lot of Tennessee folks in candles! Funny because I travel between here and there a lot- my Daughter lives there!

Again, I appreciate the warm reception!

I can hear the Dollywood train whistle from where I live! I love living in the Smoky Mountain area....such gorgeous scenery, neat critters (black bear, elk (Catalooche area), bugs the size of your hand...ackkk!! ...just kidding :)..SOME are big though ), great food, awesome, friendly folks in this area and lots to do ! :) Glad you have joined us! :)

Edited by puma52

I rarely read this forum (sorry, not sure why, but...), but glad I did tonight. Welcome to the forum, Steve. Your post has a "different flavor" compared to most, though I can't put my finger on it. Hope you will enjoy learning, sharing and participating.

Puma52, you lucky woman, living there! I spent some years in Knoxville (school residency requirements), and loved it. Used to hike the Smokies just about every week-end, in spite of my little one's complaining.... she was more interested in Dollywood than anything else. I remember trying to learn country dancing at Cotton-eyed Joe, but it was a lost cause, lol

Thank you. I'm hoping my "different flavor" is a good thing! Perhaps it's my font?

I do intend to pursue a different business model than what I see a lot of folks doing. I'm fortunate to live in an area where there's strong demand for handcrafted art, and all i'm seeing with local candle making (what little there is) are jars and tins; clones of what anyone can find at any shopping mall.

We will certainly be different. Pillars and votives, eventually cut & carves... all in a venue that will transport the customer to a much simpler time, with it's cobblestone flooring, visible wood workbenches, medieval wall decor, harpsichord music etc. It will also be more than just a store- I intend for it to become a social hub for the local artisan community. We will offer gourmet coffee nights, book nights, wine & cheese nights, etc.

Again, thank you. A different flavor is exactly what we are going for!

I rarely read this forum (sorry, not sure why, but...), but glad I did tonight. Welcome to the forum, Steve. Your post has a "different flavor" compared to most, though I can't put my finger on it. Hope you will enjoy learning, sharing and participating.

Puma52, you lucky woman, living there! I spent some years in Knoxville (school residency requirements), and loved it. Used to hike the Smokies just about every week-end, in spite of my little one's complaining.... she was more interested in Dollywood than anything else. I remember trying to learn country dancing at Cotton-eyed Joe, but it was a lost cause, lol

Ravens....well get that! A former local-yocal! :) I hear about different folks doing concerts at Cotton-Eyed Joes and it sure sounds like a fun place to go to. This area is really growing..... LOVE those back roads! We try to get to Dollywood at least once a year. Cades Cove is one our very favorite places to go to...so relaxing...great place to go bear, turkey and deer hunting (with a camera of course). :)