What makes you buy a candle & keeps you comming back?

Candle Man

I am doing a survey with my customers about:

What makes you buy a candle & keeps you coming back?

I would also like your input please, before you started making candles what made you buy candles. I will list each with a number. When you reply (to make it easier) hit this quote then list by number in the order why you buy candles.

If you need to you can explain beside the number.

1. Scent (cold throw)
  2. Strong scent when burning
  3. Scent name (Monkey Farts, Butt Naked etc.)
  4. Color
  5. Unique style (layered, chunk etc.)
  6. Finish (for pillars and votives) mottled, rustic etc.
  7. $ Price $
  8. Style of container
  9. Type of wax (paraffin or soy)
  10. Burns completly (little to no hang-up)
  11. Long burning
  12. Clean burning
  13. Packaging (if jar is in a package box, cello etc.)
  14. Dupe scent at a lower price
  15. How you are treated as a customer (if you talk to a sales person)
  16. How the store looks or makes you feel (if you bought retail)
  17. Sale (You only buy when on sale) Buy 2 get 1 FREE etc.

Thanks Candle Man

I would also like your input please, before you started making candles what made you buy candles. I will list each with a number. When you reply (to make it easier) hit this quote then list by number in the order why you buy candles.

1. Scent (cold throw)
  4. Color
  7. $ Price $
  8. Style of container
  11. Long burning
  12. Clean burning

Thanks Candle Man

1 Of course I have to like the scent before I buy

7 I will factor in long burn & hot scent throw for the price

10 I don't like candles with hang-up it's just a waste of money

15 If I'm not treated very well by the employes I will NOT shop there again

I'll play :D

1. Scent (cold throw) I want to be able to smell it. Many times there is no cold throw or it is very faint. Wouldn't buy that
  2. Strong scent when burning YES YES YES!
  3. Scent name (Monkey Farts, Butt Naked etc.) No, although I would bypass something that doesn't sound like something I'd like such as floral or patchouli
  4. Color Sometimes. I'd rather have a colored candle than white
  5. Unique style (layered, chunk etc.) Definately. Not too fond of chunk candles but unique ones catch my eye
  6. Finish (for pillars and votives) mottled, rustic etc. Not necessarily
  7. $ Price $ YES. Although since I've been making candles I'm willing to spend a little more on a quality one that will scent my entire room.
  8. Style of containern A little. I don't care for apothacary (sp?) or anything country at all. I wouldn't buy anything that even hinted at country. I am partial to Balmorals or those style of jars
  9. Type of wax (paraffin or soy) I actually prefer paraffin. IMO I haven't had a soy that burns well
  10. Burns completly (little to no hang-up) Yes, must burn cleanly down the container. I'm burning a soy one now that isn't doing this, doesn't have much of a hot throw at all and I'm a bit frustrated with it!
  11. Long burning Yes, I want to get my moneys worth
  12. Clean burning Yes, I don't like black soot coming from the wick
  13. Packaging (if jar is in a package box, cello etc.) Again, nothing country!
  14. Dupe scent at a lower price I like dup's
  15. How you are treated as a customer (if you talk to a sales person) Actually if I'm in a store I'd rather be left alone
  16. How the store looks or makes you feel (if you bought retail) I like a clean fresh funky type of store
  17. Sale (You only buy when on sale) Buy 2 get 1 FREE etc. Sale are good, but if they are at a good price then a sale wouldn't matter. However a sale would probably make me buy more!

HTH

Thanks Candle Man

1. Scent (cold throw)
  4. Color
  7. $ Price $
  8. Style of container
  11. Long burning
  12. Clean burning

Thanks Candle Man

When I bought candles only three things mattered to me:

1) Strong scent when burning

2) Scent (cold throw)

3) It didn't catch on fire when I "power burned" it (8:00 am - 5:00 pm) - which I ALWAYS did :)

Good Poll BTW!

1. Scent (cold throw)
  4. Color
  7. $ Price $
  8. Style of container
  11. Long burning
  12. Clean burning

Thanks Candle Man

1. Packaging - I wouldn't even pick up a candle to smell it if it didn't catch my eye in the first place.
  2. Style of container - Packaging and container are what first attract me to a candle.
  3. Scent (cold throw) - After seeing an attractive candle, the very next thing I do is give it a good sniff. It must give off a pleasing aroma.
  4. Clean burning - I want a candle that will burn to a full melt pool, not one that tunnels. Even if it is attractive, reasonably priced, and smells good, I won't repurchase if I feel half the wax has been wasted.
  5. Burns completly (little to no hang-up) - Goes hand in hand with clean burning.
  6. Strong scent when burning - if I take the candle home and I get a good hot throw WITH a clean burn, I will purchase it again.
  7. Long burning - definitely don't want it to burn up in a day's time!!
  8. $ Price $ - Even if a candle has all of the above attributes, if it's incredibly expensive, I probably won't purchase as often. Price is definitely important to me.
  9. How you are treated as a customer (if you talk to a sales person)
  10. How the store looks or makes you feel (if you bought retail)
  11. Sale (You only buy when on sale) Buy 2 get 1 FREE etc.
  12. Color
  13. Scent name (Monkey Farts, Butt Naked etc.)
  14. Unique style (layered, chunk etc.)
  15. Finish (for pillars and votives) mottled, rustic etc.
  16. Type of wax (paraffin or soy)
  17. Dupe scent at a lower price

#12 - #17 have little bearing on why I purchase a candle, and although I put Sale as #11, I don't ONLY buy if there is a sale.

1. Cold throw is important because it helps me decide if I like a candle or not before I burn it. Although I buy all of my candles online now, when I used to buy Yankee's I would smell the candles cold in the store.

2. Strong scent throw is a MUST for me! I will not buy candles that I cannot smell.

3. Sometimes I buy a candle for its name and its DESCRIPTION. I think that both are equally important.

4. I like candles with color although I do purchase from one soy candle company that does not add color to the candles. They are pretty, I do prefer colored candles.

5. I don't really care for unique candles.

6. I only buy container candles, so finish really n/a.

7. I am concerned about prices in so much as whether or not I'm getting what I paid for. If I pay $20 for a candle it MUST be perfect and gorgeous. $5 jelly jars can have imperfections (although this may detract me from again purchasing if the imperfections are a norm) such as an uneven label and I wont be so bothered as long as they smell fantastic.

8. Style of container is important because it adds or detracts in my interior decor.

9. I'm not a scientist so I do not know if all the hoopla about soy is true or not but I always burn soy because it burns much better. If I burn the candle correctly, it never tunnels, leaves only a trace of soot, and for some reason they always have a better scent strength and throw.

10. I do not accept tunneling in any way. Reside (trace amounts) is fine. I use a paper towel to clean it.

11. I expect a candle to burn for a normal amount of time for its size. For example an 8 oz. jelly jar should burn for at least 50 hours.

12. Clean burning is essential. I do not want soot on my Ethan Allen furniture or in my or my family's lungs!

13. I don't really care for packaging of candles as it adds to cost. The only thing I do prefer about packaging however, is when I am buying tarts. I like individually packed tarts rather than a bulk amount of them (i.e. 6 per scent).

14. I like YC dupes because I can burn Yankee scents without the Yankee soot. I also like BBW scents in candles.

15. Polite and timely customer service is essential. Without your customers, you have no business.

16. BM and online stores should have a nice appearance. A bad look store, whether BM or online, is definately a negative. Maybe it's more of a negative when it's online because you really don' know who you're dealing with.

17. LOVE LOVE LOVE sales!!! Definately motivates me to buy more or to even buy at all. Shipping specials are also a great motivator!!!

In order of relevance:

15, 2, 12, 1, 17, 9, 8, 7, 4, 10, 16, 3, 11, and so on.

Ok, here's my personal opinion:

1. Scent (cold throw) (I always think if it has no cold throw, whats to say theres gonna be a hot throw? Now that I make candles I know the one doesn't guarantee the other, but I think consumers still think like that to a large extent)

3. Style of container (If I don't like the look, I won't buy it no matter how nice it smells)

4. Long burning

5. Burns completely

6. Burns cleanly

7. Price

8. Packaging (this only plays a role for me in so far as it shows the personality of the candle maker - are they somebody who pays attention to detail etc. becuase if the packaging is good in a handcrafted product, chances are better that it'll be a good candle too)

9. Finish

10. Color (I'd only choose plain white or something that fits with my decor)

11. How the store looks or makes you feel (I think most people have what I like to call the "Affluent Attitude" - we all like to experience luxury and style, and this is often reflected in our shopping style too)

12. Dupe scent at a lower price (We don't have any commercial candle lines like Yankee or BBW here, but if we had this is were I would put it - does that make sense?)

13. Scent name (It needs to be descriptive though)

14. Unique style (I prefer plain, mottled or rustic - no other styles really)

15. How you are treated as a customer (I also like to be left alone to decide)

16. Sale (this will make me buy more or try out candles that I would not ordinarily buy from a price point of view)

17. Type of wax (I put this last because we don't have soy in SA so I wouldn't know the difference. I do think it is a different issue in your country though and I have read on that candle review site that some of the clients have quite a preference for 100% soy and that it is very important for them to know if it is pure or blended).

This was actually quite fun. I'd like to see how it compares to other opinions. Thanks Candleman!:wink2:

Katinka

LOL. Poor dude had ya talking to yourself at first there. We can't have that, now can we ;)

You know, as a complete candle addict before making them the things that had me pick up a candle/tart in the first place were (in this order, too):

1.) Cold throw. If I was in a store, that was the first thing I'd look at. Did it throw like the dickens? Did I like the scent?

2.) Price. I'm always out for a bargain and considered my Yankee jar candles a splurge. :confused: Boy do I know better now..

After buying a candle what made me come back for more was the hot throw and a decent burn. It was much easier to get the hot throw than it was to find a candle that didn't soot all over.

Nothing much matters/mattered to me other than:

1. Cold Throw- Of course it had to have a good cold throw or I wouldn't even consider purchasing it.

2. Container- I would never buy a candle for my home in a chessy container. No jelly jars, food canning/grocery store jars, no "cute-sey" containers, no holly hobit-ish etc. I prefer the cantainer to be nice clean lines to blend with the decor, not BE the decor.

3. Hot throw- Keeps me coming back or NOT. Obviously if I purchase a candle and the hot throw is weak, I would never purchase another one from that company.

4 Burns Completely- If I purchase a candle that has "hang-up---NO second chances with this!

Thats it! None of the rest matters that much to me.

i agree with michael. price is usually not something i pay close attention to. i once pay $100 for a beach scene gel candle that lasted less then 20 hours. then again, on top of my candle addiction, i also have a shopping addiction.