wax loafs, chunks

dawnmichelle

I want to try manking those wax loafs with chunks...I have bought the mini cubes for the chunks but I have a couple of questions...what type of wax do you use so its so super soft to cut through...do you use crisco? and if so, whats the blend? And, how do you add the chunks? How do you add the chunks and when? Im so excited to try this out!! =)

I make the loaves DawnMichelle. You just make the chunks and throw them in the loaf pan to the top..leaving some gaps so the overpour wax will get in there and "glue" it all together. Alot of people use a soft container blend wax like 4627 mixed with a votive/pillar blend like Ecosoya PB. You have to play around with it until you get your desired consistency and throw. Soft waxes do better in a lower wattage warmer. :) Have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know how others make large chunks and cut theirself (I would like to know) Gloria, I just know how to make the small chunks, you can use a "mini" ice cube tray...I bought a few on ebay...they are a lil costly tho.and is why Id like to know how to make on my own...and the chunks...I would guess you just use a large pan mold and cut up from there...or even a mold for small cake size squares. What waxes is everyone using to keep it that super soft consist, super soft, but not mushy..?? would that be a 4625 and 630 or just 6006 by itself? Thanks for everyones help! =)

Thought I would share this neat mold I found for my sliceable chunky candles. I haven't ordered it yet but I have some of their other molds and they are very flexible and I'm sure a softer wax would release very easy from it. It will make my chunks a lot faster then cutting them by hand.

http://www.vanyulay.com/store/pc/Carmel-Squares-Chunk-Candles-25-Cavity-5042F-99p2497.htm

Have a Great Weekend!

Dawn I have been testing waxes for the sliceable candles for awhile and still have not come up with a combo I like. I have tried 4627/6006 blend which comes the closest to what I'm looking for in texture but ......the cold throw was excellent but not so good of a hot throw which is most important. The waxes you mentioned are all good ones to test. It's all trial and error which takes lots of time and lots of money down the drain. That is why once you get a really awesome wax recipe it is very hard to share especially if you are selling your products. Just keep testing and you will find a combo that is all yours!

Blessings,

Gloria

I love Vanyulay molds. They tend to be a bit pricier, but they are so soft and flexible that the tarts just fall right out. I have some others from various places and it's such a workout for the hands (and I have some arthritis) that its not even enjoyable anymore to use them. I would replace them all with Vanyulay if I could!

Jackie

I want to try manking those wax loafs with chunks...I have bought the mini cubes for the chunks but I have a couple of questions...what type of wax do you use so its so super soft to cut through...do you use crisco? and if so, whats the blend? And, how do you add the chunks? How do you add the chunks and when? Im so excited to try this out!! =)

What are wax loafs with chunks? :) hope it's ok to ask..I'm probably sound like a ding bat! Lol

I think silicone molds are a great thing for chunks. You could try a sugar cube mold (not sure what size your loafs are). That way all of your chunks would be the same size and as stated before, they pop out of the molds so nice and easy once they're hard. Check out flexiblemolds.com - they have some wonderful molds that might fit the bill.

• 2 weeks later...
Dawn I have been testing waxes for the sliceable candles for awhile and still have not come up with a combo I like. I have tried 4627/6006 blend which comes the closest to what I'm looking for in texture but ......the cold throw was excellent but not so good of a hot throw which is most important. The waxes you mentioned are all good ones to test. It's all trial and error which takes lots of time and lots of money down the drain. That is why once you get a really awesome wax recipe it is very hard to share especially if you are selling your products. Just keep testing and you will find a combo that is all yours!

Blessings,

Gloria

Hi Gloria! have you found a decent sliceable blend yet? I read somewhere that you can add some soybean oil or mineral oil to your wax blend starting at 1oz. per pound to acieve the "sliceable" wax that you are looking to achieve. Let us know if you try it or if you have found the right blend. ;)

I did find a nice mold for my cubes but still have not found a good wax combo with a strong hot throw yet. I have tried the soybean and mineral oil but the hot throw is still not as strong as the melts I make with my parasoy blend. Love the idea of the chunk loafs and mixing scents and will keep testing...hate it when I can't figure something out LOL!!

• 1 month later...