Settle a debate: Old candles, no longer have CT or HT, can the wax be reused?

I'm having a debate with my partner in crime. We found a case of soy candles that got hidden away from 2 years ago. There is no CT, and when we hit them with heat gun, no HT.

I say we call them "unscented" and clearance them, or put them back for emergency candles the next time the power is out. LOL

My partner thinks we can melt, add new FO, and repour. That's new territory for me. Can that be done successfully?

I have no idea what the true answer is...so just giving my opinion.

I wold think the oil is technically still in the wax (even though there is no scent) and adding any more oil could be troublesome. If it were me I would simply keep them around as emergency candles.

Wax can only hold so much fragrance oil before it starts to weep out. Chalk it up to sunk cost and move on with new product.

IMO, it would be better to clearance them as-is rather than try to squeeze a few extra bucks off of them. Some people still love a bargain, even on very lightly scented products.

I sell last season candles at yard sales and my customers love getting them for half price. I always sell out. Haven't had any that didn't have any scent though.

Once I did remelt some old paraffin candles and added a small amount of FO. It worked and they smelled great so I was able to sell them at half price at a yard sale. If you do decide to remelt just remember what Talltayl said. Wax will hold only so much % of FO. In my case I didn't use the full % for the originals so I knew I had some room for a bit more FO to be able to do a remelt. If yours already have the max % load of FO you won't be able to add anymore.

Edited by Candybee

• 1 month later...

Just a quick follow up. We priced the "no smell" candles at half price at a recent show, and they FLEW off the table. Thanks for the great advice.

We found about two dozen clamshells from that same time period, so we recycled the wax for fire starters for camping season :)

Edited by scifichik

Are you sure, positive there is no HT left in those candles? You may not believe this, but about a month or so ago I found 4 or 5 candles that I had poured over 8 years ago, when I was fiddling with soy wax. The wax was the GB415, I believe. I could NOT believe my nose, they were throwing great!! And the "funny" part is that they are all wicked with zinc, lol The top of the candle looks pitiful, with a bad case of smallpox, but the HT still definitely there!

Strange, perhaps, but true. Go figure, huh?

Ok, I'll admit this one but only this one. A customer requested a fragrance that I had very little of in stock but I had a bunch of old candles in that fragrance. I scooped out the wax and melted it down and added more fo to freshen things up, as it were and sold them to the customer. The candles didn't throw and I lost a customer, live and learn. It seems that once the wax has been tempered and poured you have changed the make-up. I can't prove that but I have never tried to re-purpose wax again.

Steve

Ok, I'll admit this one but only this one. A customer requested a fragrance that I had very little of in stock but I had a bunch of old candles in that fragrance. I scooped out the wax and melted it down and added more fo to freshen things up, as it were and sold them to the customer. The candles didn't throw and I lost a customer, live and learn. It seems that once the wax has been tempered and poured you have changed the make-up. I can't prove that but I have never tried to re-purpose wax again.

Steve

Maybe it depends on the type of wax? Because I can do it with no problems...

How long would you expect a candle to hold CT/HT?

Emily

Made properly? For the entirety of it's life. I have some candles that are almost 14 years old, that even though the CT is very faint in the pillars, it is still there, (containers with a lid on them, no, the CT still smells great) and the HT is just as good now as it was when the batch of those same candles was made.

Now with that being said, I have never taken old candles, melted them down and added more scent. It honestly just never occurred to me to do that, or else I know me, and I would have. :)

Edited by Jcandleattic
to fix formatting