You can EAT my candles!

Michdj

I nearly fell over laughing at a show this weekend. My competition had candles in mason jars, all of which had strange bubbles all over the bottom and weirder little streaks going straight up the sides.

Me: "Is this palm?: (As that is the only wax I've seen make strange streaks (although this wasn't quite a feather - looked like it the streaks weren't there on purpose.))

Her response? "Our wax is pharmaceutical grade and food grade - you could eat our candles if you wanted to!"

I suppose I could, if I really wanted that fabulous laxative effect - or death. I'm sure the FOs taste fabulous as well!

So I asked, drolly, "So is it palm?"

Her response? "Our wicks aren't even treated."

And I realized that there are probably consumers out there who lap that up. (The inane marketing, not the wax. (Although according to her, they COULD!))

After doing a little research, it sounds like that's her standard response to the question I loathe the most: "Is this soy?" As paraffin is food grade, etc. And I suppose technically you can ingest it in small quantities.... Ugh!

Guest OldGlory

Reminds me of a customer of mine who ordered a custom blend Almond Biscotti candle from me more than 10 years ago and kept emailing me about how it smelled good enough to eat. I laughed it off. About a month later she told me she couldn't take it and licked one of the candles.

I still can't think of an appropriate response, lol.

I would have said "would you mind demonstrating that for me?"

Actually, I've heard this before from a candle maker at a show I did several years back. Only the person saying it was her 9 yr old daughter bragging that you could eat her mothers candles.

I looked the little girl straight in her face and told her you can't eat any candles. That took the smirk off her face. Honestly I just could not see telling a child this stuff and was hoping to set her straight. Hope she never tried it because her mothers candles had dyes and fragrances in them. Ick!!!

"Denver office" ??? Maybe the altitude effects their little brains? I 'm situated at sea level so I can't claim that excuse for myself.

"Use SOY or palm WAX to grease a frying pan." . . . Confession; I've done that! It didn't taste bad either!

Somehow I just can't see whipping up a batch of scrambled eggs and frying them in soy wax. Ick!!

CHICKEN!

It was sautéed chicken breast with sliced mushrooms, shallots and a Madera wine reduction. It was actually quite tasty.

I'm real particular about scrambled eggs myself. No Butter . . . No eggs!

(LOL)