Attention Sandalwood, Patchouli, dragons blood, Oud lovers!!

Tony

I know I should be in Holiday scent mode, but I'm pumpkin and cranberried out. Lol. I started making candles 6 years ago because I have always been drawn to more earthy fragrances and there aren't many candles out there with those types of scents. I used to love to walk down Hollywood blvd and stumble across on occult shop and find some awesome scented candles. They had such strong scent throws! So here I am 6 years later looking at my line and wonder where I went astray. So my question is for those of you who have "those" types of scents in their line. Who has the best scents? I also love the fend shui scents as well. I see that SOS has a lot but have never tried their scents in wax. I tried them in incense with limited success oob they smell awesome. I use stasis 70/30 blend which is the same blend that Greenleaf used to use. I get an ok throw with that wax with my existing scents but I get a bit of a "crayons" scent lately. Maybe it's the batch. But I digress and scent or supplier suggestions?

I always sell out of my Peaks Asian Sandalwood candles. I also use CS Dragons Blood, Frank & Myrrh, Moon Lake Musk, Oakmoss & Amber, Egyptian Amber, Driftwood, and Angel. Also, SGS has an awesome Dragons Blood. Patchouli would be MW and Peaks for me. Haven't used Oud but I believe AH has a good one from the reviews.

Our forum patch lover is Scented. You may want to ask her which ones she prefers.

Forgot Witches Brew. Good WB are from MW and C&S.

Edited by Candybee

Chandler is right on for Patchouli and Dragon's Blood. Aroma Haven now carries Tradewinds Hawaiian Sandalwood. Excellent fragrance. They also have an Oud Wood and a Patchouli Oud Wood. I have a sample of the later and it is very nice OOB. Have not had a chance to test it yet.

eta:

Didn't see Candybee's post before I started answering. Moonlake Musk is fantastic. Beautiful in candles and incense. It has Musks, Patchouli EO as well as other blenders. This should definitely be considered.

Edited by ProudMarineMom

Moon Lake Musk is awesome! My sister swears it smells like Old English?:confused:

MWs Witches Brew I love too! CSs DB is good also.

Chandler is right on for Patchouli and Dragon's Blood. Aroma Haven now carries Tradewinds Hawaiian Sandalwood. Excellent fragrance. They also have an Oud Wood and a Patchouli Oud Wood. I have a sample of the later and it is very nice OOB. Have not had a chance to test it yet.

eta:

Didn't see Candybee's post before I started answering. Moonlake Musk is fantastic. Beautiful in candles and incense. It has Musks, Patchouli EO as well as other blenders. This should definitely be considered.

Edited by ChandlerWicks

Thank you for all of your replies! So many exciting suggestions! I love the fact that Tradewinds Hawaiian Sandalwood is not lost forever!! I started making candles when they disappeared and when I saw them comeback I was looking forward to their Hawaiian Sandalwood, Raspberry Patchouli, and their Mele Kamikimaka was interesting too. When I saw them stop selling FOs I was bummed. I am really excited to get back into candle making but this time I am going to carry scent that I LOVE! Like I stated in my original post I use Stasis 70/30 blend wax. For those who don't use it, I used to get it from Tennessee Candles but then they stopped carrying it. By freak chance I found their supplier and was able to order by the case. I switched to Tennessee candles after Greenleaf went away and was told the wax was he same. The thing is I don't seem to get the same throw that I used to get. I live near Genwax and one of the girls there recommended that I try the C3 wax. Has anyone tried it and if so how is the throw? Sorry for the book lol

Yes it was very sad to see Tradewinds quit selling FOs again. But before they relaunched they had already been out of oils for a number of years and many just moved on to other suppliers. As you may or may not know the owner was battling cancer for many years and just could not get back into the work of selling FOs. It was much too much of an effort. Tradewinds is still open and sells their fabulous Select Shades colors for soaping.

We all were hoping that AH would start carrying all the FOs that Tradewinds did but the only one they have is the Hawaiian Sandalwood. Still an excellent soft, tropical wood scent. Right after they got HS they got the Oud FO. I think they have 2 of them.

I have used C3 to test but ultimately chose another wax. Can't remember why it was so long ago. If you are considering C3 wax Fillmore Containers carries this wax exclusively and tests all of their FOs in it. So every FO they sell has been tested in C3. Good to know if you use C3 or another soy wax. They have some really good oils you may want to try.

Edited by Candybee

Thank you Candybee. That is good to know! I think I had read on hear years back that it was due to health issues that is sad. It goes to show you that you need to live life to its fullest because you don't know what the future holds. Well, my first order of all of the great suggestions was with AH and I went nuts!! I got Oud Wood, Bonfire Bliss, Cedarwood & Patchouli, Patchouli and Oud Wood, Redwood, Rosewood & Musk, Bamboo Sugar Cane, Honeysuckle & White Patchouli, Purple Sandalwood, Oakmoss & Sage, Dragon's Blood, Hawaiian Sandalwood, Flower Child, Patchouli Raspberry, Patchouli Rain, Sandy Rose, and Toasted Marshmallow. I can't wait!

I supply a couple of "New Age" shops, and I do carry a number of the fragrances you mention.

In the "New Age" shops and in mine, the number one seller is one of my own creations, far surpassing all others. Next is Dragon's blood; my favorite supplier for Dragon's blood is Elements. Patchouli, I like the one sold by Moonworks. Satara sandalwood is also from Elements. These are the main ones, but I sell others that many customers call "haunting, mysterious", etc. My Beltane Moon is one of them.

So... Moonworks and Elements are my fave suppliers for these types of FOs.:smiley2:

Forgot to add that if you contact Fillmores they will give you a free sample of C3 to test. I called them and got a 5lb free sample but that was about 3-4 yrs ago. If you call ask for Keith he is the GM. They also have great glassware and some good deals on bulk shipping that aren't listed on their website.

Ravens you are gonna make me spend more money lol. I have never ordered from Elements. I will definitively check them out. I have ordered from Moonworks and really like their oils. I have never used them in wax tho. I tried their oils in insence and really liked them. Candybee that is really good to know. I am still on the fence about C3. I would LOVE to use a nonparafin wax but when I started making candles I had a really bad experience with soy flakes so I got discouraged. I just couldn't get a decent looking product. That is why I REALLY liked the 70/30 blend that Greenleaf used to carry.

Certainly Moonworks still has the best raspberry patchouli around.

If MW is out of patch, the replacement is at Lebermuth.

Sandalwood, guess I best try the hawaiian one from AH/RE.

Dragon's Blood, while the one at Elements works and does well in incense here along with the Nag Champa that MW had and I don't know if it's still at Elements, the DB that I think is best comes out of Southern Gardens.

The patch oud out of AH/RE was OK.

Feng Shui, Wellington carries a lot of those scents along with zodiac scents. I just need to get some of that put into wax and tested.

There are a lot of different interpretations on sandalwood out there, so picking a "best" really depends on your tastes. That said, my current favorite is WSP's Sandalwood, which is a straight-up sandalwood scent with none of the musk or floral notes that you often find in sandalwood FOs. It's a good thrower, too, at least in paraffin. Cold throw is intense, hot throw is a bit more mellow. Still strong, but not as overpowering as you might expect from smelling the candle cold.

There are a lot of different interpretations on sandalwood out there, so picking a "best" really depends on your tastes. That said, my current favorite is WSP's Sandalwood, which is a straight-up sandalwood scent with none of the musk or floral notes that you often find in sandalwood FOs. It's a good thrower, too, at least in paraffin. Cold throw is intense, hot throw is a bit more mellow. Still strong, but not as overpowering as you might expect from smelling the candle cold.

Ever tried Elements' Satara Sandalwood?

http://www.elementsbathandbody.com/Satara-Sandalwood-Fragrance-pr-1223.html