Edible Body Butter

maryann

1/4 cup cocoa butter (shea butter may be substituted)

2 teaspoons light vegetable oil (sesame, olive, safflower, canola, olive, or almond oil work well) (you may use a combination of oils to equal 2 teaspoons if you prefer)

1 teaspoon vitamin E oil or enough capsules to equal 1 teaspoon

5-10 drops of flavoring extract

Flavor if you prefer

Thanks Lindsay these are some of the ingredients I was thinking of putting together, the amounts REALLY help. I think for the color (and scent) I'm going to add cocoa powder too and make a few flavors around chocolate. I got cherry extract yesterday (I think :embarasse -there were so many to choose form I can't remember what I decided) and I bought coconut as well. SO I'll have chocolate, chocolate covered cherries, and coconut (I think, I'm not sure on this one yet, and call it something crazy).

Thanks again :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Is this the sort of thing that will hold up (assuming cool weather LOL)?

1/4 cup cocoa butter (shea butter may be substituted)

2 teaspoons light vegetable oil (sesame, olive, safflower, canola, olive, or almond oil work well) (you may use a combination of oils to equal 2 teaspoons if you prefer)

1 teaspoon vitamin E oil or enough capsules to equal 1 teaspoon

5-10 drops of flavoring extract

Flavor if you prefer

If you are planning to sell it you will want to include a warning for people that are alergic to nuts.
Absolutely. Actually one of the reasons I'm into making my own is my son's life-threatening peanut & nut allergy. You wouldn't believe what has nuts. I had a freak-out when I found out my lip balm I had recently bought had hazlenut oil in it! I mean geez, I kiss the kids - you know?!?

And while I always read the ingredients, I appreciate it when peole "call out" nut-ingredients for ANY product. An allergic person uses a lotion with nut oil on their hands, but 1) they can put their hands in their mouth or get some on their pizza, and 2) some are allergic enough that skin contact will do it.

The saving thing for me is that very refined nut oils are generally safe (not that I would buy them anyway) as it is the protein that causes the reaction.

Oh gosh, your poor son. It is amazing how many products contain nut oils. I know several people who weren't aware(or just never thought about it)that shea is from a nut. Good luck with your son. Sounds like you are doing a fantastic job keeping an eye out for those product.