What's in Your Craft Room? Building My Own.

I have a small 10x10 room that I will soon be using as a craft room for candles and soap. It is completely bare right now with two concrete walls, two finished interior walls and concrete floor. There is one small 1x2 window that I will be converting into a vent/exhaust outlet for heat and fumes. I plan on framing/finishing the two concrete walls for a more finished look.

What do you really like about your craft space? What can you simply not live without or wish you had done differently (well maybe other than more space, lol)? I would love to hear others' experience so I don't waste money or forget something important.

The crafting will be about 70% candles and 30% soap I'm thinking. Most of our materials are spread here and there throughout the house and crafted in the kitchen. Even though it's kinda smallish, I can't wait to have a dedicated room! :grin2:

Maybe I could throw up some pics as progress goes.

I would love to see pictures when you're done! I'm using my oldest son's bedroom since he moved out about a year and a half ago. It's probably 12X14 (I think) and I thought at first it would be big enough, but since then I've managed to fill it up to the brim and then some! LOL! Right now I have 4 folding tables along the walls but hopefully my husband will build pull down counter tops for my molds and clamshells. The foldable tables are fine for molds but for clamshells they aren't level enough, in my opinion. It could be because I have so much stuff on them that they are sagging in the middle :o)

If I ever get it like I want, I'll have fold down counters with cabinets and drawers built under and on top. Of course that's the plan unless I see something I like better which is always a possibility!

Good luck with your room and enjoy it!

My craft room is an 8x12 foot shed that I had converted into my candle shop :) I built two desks for my work areas, loads of shelves to store scents, jars, dyes, molds, and cleaning supplies. I installed a sink with a little 2.5 gallon hot water heater. I have bluetooth speakers so I can play music from my phone while I create. I installed a little window for ventilation. I have an air conditioner that keeps it at 70 degrees in the summer and a lil heater that keeps it around 65 in the winter. I also put on a screen door so when it's nice and cool out I can just open the door for a nice breeze. I am actually getting ready to install a new work area that will hold my 3 presto pots. I love my candle shop; it is private and organized so I can go in and make what I need/want to and relax while doing it :) I plan on purchasing a new house in 3 years and when I do that I plan on upgrading my candle shop into a 12x24 foot space :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Here is the start of my 10x10. I drywalled the two interior walls a while ago. First coat of concrete sealer paint on the other two. Helps to seal up the brick to control moisture and cover the nasty green paint the previous owner had slapped on in some spots. Next is a final coat on the walls then an epoxy garage floor paint on the floor. After that I'll stud up, wire for electric, insulate and drywall the exterior walls! I need to figure out what to do with the ceiling and lighting. It's low @ 7ft. Probably recessed lights like the main room...

post-24417-139458514049_thumb.jpg

post-24417-139458514043_thumb.jpg

Put some peg board on one of the walls so you can hang stuff. I put pics of my workshop on the business side of things forum last week. Pretty sure it was that forum if u want to take a peek. I was just starting the set up, I'll update the pics tomorrow :)

The smartest thing my DH did when building my work area was my work counters - he found some old metal 'cabinet' things on craigslist really cheap , took them apart, and used them to make my 'countertops'. Its awesome - I can spill wax, dye, anything - and it cleans up easy in no time! Other than that - shelves! and more shelves! never enough shelves!!!

That's awesome that you have that space! I miss having a space. I have lots of space ideas on my pinterest for someday. lol. I do know that high counter tops are a must. And a sink if you can manage. I agree with the lots of shelves and cabinets. Most of my shelves that I have now were free on craigslist. Someday I will paint them all to match but for now they're just filling a need. lol.

I thought about SS counters too! Then I went to a local restaurant supply store, looked at some prep tables/counters and quickly changed my mind, lol. Cha-ching.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas! It is exciting to think about and plan. Speaking of plans I was poking around for counter/table ideas this morning and found a kind of workbench setup that I think I can easily modify a bit to fit my room.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/workshop/workbench/simple-workbench-plans

I like the idea of the drawers. I might make 2 8 footers with laminate tops and backsplash. One with an open bottom shelf for case quantity supplies and the other with a completely open bottom where I could build an enclosed rolling work table that I could pull out for extra counter space? Does that make sense?

Heading over to Craigslist in search of overhead storage/cupbords! That would be slick.

Thanks again and happy crafting :)

I just use the fold up white tables you get at walmart for like $40 each. They're 8 ft. I obviously wont use them for anything else but if I move my room or move period I just fold them up and take them with me. Then I got those plastic 4 or 5 shelve units you get at walmart in the auto section for like garages etc. Cut cardboard to line the shelves. and with the peg board on the one wall i can hang my heat gun, spoons, thermometers, pour pots etc :)

How fun those of you who have blank spaces from which to start!

Cannot wait to see all of the pics!

My favorite things are plenty of heavy Rubbermaid bins and the commercial chrome shelves. I cannot stand plastic shelves that are all warped from weight. Each shelf on these racks holds 300 or 350 pounds. That works great because in my Rubbermaid bins are cases of wax and multiple FO bottles. Heavy stuff. I like things tidy and I do not want dust, moisture nor light to affect wax nor FO's so the bins help with that.

Just a pic to show the shelves of which I am speaking (the 5 gallon buckets with screw on lids hold granulated wax and wax samples):

post-14519-139458514081_thumb.jpg

Ooh, that is a great space! Renovating is an interesting process. More than a few times I've come across things in our home that the previous owner had done that has left me scratching my head in bewilderment, lol.

LOL Tell me about it!!! We started ripping down framing and old wooden panels they had put up only to reveal an old billco door entrance that was loaded with construction debris and a 250 gallon oil tank. There was old plastic TAB soda bottles in there and milk cartons with missing kids on them so how far back does that date it?? We had no idea there was an entrance there to the outside because they built a porch over the outside entrance.. The house was built in 1851 so it's got all kinds of fun things we are finding :)

I got a heavy duty 2x4 x6' shelving unit but built it side by side so I have (2) 2x4 x3' work tables with shelves underneath. I used to work at a sign company and got .020 polycarbonate to cover it. Wax scrapes right off. I have Kmart shoe racks on top that hold my prestos and little shelves for dye and "stuff". I have pics somewhere....

found it! http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?98983-All-cleaned-up&highlight=clean

Edited by Georgia
found pic

Floor cleaned and prepped. I've got fans a blowin' to hasten the concrete drying. I might try to get it painted tomorrow. I'm anxious to get the last two walls framed up and run additional power to the room :)

I've been planning a lot for the candle side of things but have come to realize I'm under estimating the space requirements for curing soaps. Contemplating something like a bakers rack that can hold a dozen plus cookie sheets... It's a small room and I'll need to maximize vertical space I think :)

Alright. Floor is painted. My son had fun throwing down the sparkle flakes. We picked up some lumber to frame up the walls. We'll see if we can squeeze new walls in this week. Might be tough. The work/school weeks are usually jam packed till at least 9pm.

I'll try to get a pic of progress.

Quick update. Weekend warrior in action. I got a little rough framing done today and started to lay out where I want power. Pics of progress:

post-24417-139458514167_thumb.jpg

:( The ceiling will be a challenge.

Next I'd like to run power to the room. There is one dedicated circuit in there now. I would like to add one more so each newly framed wall would have it's own circuit. After that, insulation, drywall and figure out what to do for lighting and ceiling finish. There are a lot of low hanging pipes and ducting in this room

I think I found a good solution for space to cure soaps. One of these bakers bun racks might work really well and I could tuck it behind the door out of the way. Holds 18 to 20 sheets.

post-24417-139458514169_thumb.jpg

Cheers and happy crafting!

post-24417-139458514158_thumb.jpg

post-24417-139458514165_thumb.jpg

post-24417-13945851417_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Another brief update... I was informed today, by my better half, that we have a carpet cleaning service coming out to clean our main living rooms upstairs and downstairs. We have to get everything moved out of the way by Friday night (tomorrow). I've had to use the craft room space for some temporary storage...

Our guest list for Thanksgiving dinner has grown to nearly 20 family members now and I need to get my butt in gear planning that. I probably wont have time to work on the craft room for a couple weeks.

post-24417-139458514721_thumb.jpg

Cheers!