What's in Your Craft Room? Building My Own.

Happy new year everyone!

Time for an update. I took advantage of the having the day off. I ran two electrical circuits. One circuit on the South wall and one on the East wall.

My son and I put some insulation in the walls to help with temperature control in the finished room. We'll do the ceiling as well once I figure out my lighting scheme. I think I want to do recessed lights since the ceiling height is under 7 feet. Pretty low :/

I've got drywall ready to install when I have time. Most likely this weekend :)

The carpets on the floor are temporary to protect the newly painted floor. We've been moving a lot of things in and out lately.

That's all for now. Cheers!

post-24417-139458516914_thumb.jpg

post-24417-139458516903_thumb.jpg

Our candle room consists of an aluminum stand containing 4 shelves, used for storing candles in different stages of the making process (e.g. cut bottles, wick fixed, wax poured, wax cooled, etc).

We built 3 custom wax melting/scent infusion stations (one pictured below) that sit a foot or so above the main crafting table. We added a spout to each station that allows us to pour wax into the jars that sit atop a digital scale (for ensuring the same about of wax is added to each candle).

I will post more picture as soon as I can.

p.s. the room smells AMAZING from all the scents!

soy-wax-pot-270x270.jpg

Edited by WickedWineCandles
typo, added photo

• 1 month later...

Alright. Time has a way of passing by in the blink of an eye. I had a little time to work on the craft room this weekend. I slapped up some sheetrock, installed the recessed lights and covered the ceiling, began work on some rustic cabinets, and got the foundation going for a work surface.

post-24417-139458518481_thumb.jpg

The price of LED lighting is slowly coming down. I put in 4 recessed task lights above the work surface and 2 general purpose lights. All are under 10 watts each.

post-24417-139458518477_thumb.jpg

post-24417-139458518484_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My workshop was a dark room/photo studio for the previous owner. It has wrap around counters/cabinets, shelving and a double sink. It was one of the perks of buying this house. I have plenty of storage and counter space, but am considering a stainless steel table to help free up space when I'm pouring lots of candles.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could have had a sink and running water. Now that would be really nice! I considered it, but the plumbing required to the location wasn't in the budget. I've done all the work myself up to this point to keep costs low. I think I'd have to hire out the plumbing job to get it done right :/ Too much concrete to cut through.

I'm getting anxious to move in and put the room to use! I couldn't resist putting a few things in there to see how they fit. So far so good! I can see how storage is such a high priority though. I still have one open wall that I can work with if needed (the west wall where all the construction tools are sitting on an 8ft table). Some of that space is set aside for curing soap. The rest of the wall is TBD at a later date. Most likely a dedicated cabinet for EO and FO and some type of secure, safe place to store the containers of sodium hydroxide.

I have room under the one counter for a pull-out 5ft rolling worktop that will be for additional pour space and light storage - like the wicks I keep in the kitty litter containers in the pic below. Some pegboard and under cabinet LED lighting has been installed as well. Unfortunately one set of under cabinet lights were defective so only one side of cabinets is currently lit. I exchanged the lights this weekend but haven't had time to install them yet.

post-24417-139458519407_thumb.jpg

One problem I have is the concrete floor. It's cold. Very cold. It sucks the heat right out of the room. The temperature without supplemental heat is 61F during the day and most likely even colder when the main house temp drops over night. I poured a few test candles the other night and forgot to turn on the space heater. All of the candles cooled too fast and cratered horribly. The tops formed a crust and the underside cooled and pulled away. It was pretty bad. Since there were only about a dozen I used a heat gun to re-melt the top 1/16 to 1/8 inch to fill the voids. We'll see how testing these goes. I'm not sure if I will be able to trust the results.

I may put the carpet remnants back in (at least one) to insulate the floor a bit. They are cheap 4x8 chunks of very low nap carpeting I got from Home Depot years and years ago.

That's it for now. It's coming along. Mostly finishing details left. Tape drywall seams, spackle screw holes and prime/paint. Stain and install remaining trim work for ceiling, walls and floor. Build the soap curing area and eventually the pull-out worktop.

As an aside: This morning my attorney sent over the initial draft of company documents for review (for a multi-member LLC). Articles of organization, bylaws, meeting minutes, member control agreements, etc... Exciting stuff! It's all starting to get real, real fast :)

post-24417-13945851942_thumb.jpg

Edited by Node11

My floor is concrete, too. I have a nice big section of remnant carpet on the floor with about a foot of free space in front of all the cabinets so when my melter spigot drips it goes on the concrete and not my carpet. It offers a buffer against the coolness in the basement and adds some cushion as I'm standing for hours. I have heard of people putting heating pads down to warm their jars before pouring. I've started keeping mine in their case, so they are insulated with one another in the cardboard.

My floor is concrete also. The cold was the 'other' issue as working/standing on it all day took a toll on my back/legs/feet. My DH went to a local farming supply store and bought me "cattle" pads. They are about 4' X 6' pads meant to put in livestock pens - but they work perfectly in not only insulating the cold, but fixed my pain problems as well. Sounds crazy, but... they are about an inch thick and I, like the livestock lol, can stand on them all day without issue!

Everyone has given wonderful ideas for you and it's helping me build my own in my head. Now I can't wait to get mine going :)

As a suggestion, if you can get a hold of a square piece of carpet that covers a section of your workbench and then use the wire racks for cooling cookies, you could take care of the floor sucking out all the heat and manipulating your candles. I had a workspace where I lived in KC and unfortunately the floor was also concrete but underneath the staircase was a carpet lined box. I set my racks in there and used it to cool my candles and it helped for me.

Can't wait to see the finished room - it's coming along wonderfully!!

My craft room is my garage which is both wonderful and horrible at the same time lol! The horrible side is that it has a ton of other things in it and keeps accumulating more. Worst part is when other people just stick things in there randomly and then heap starts to build.

But the good out weighs the bad for me. First, it's a double car garage so there is lots of space. The previous owner of the house built shelves everywhere and of all sort of sizes. He also built a massive work table right in front of a huge window but also added more lighting directly above the work table. Things can look very different in different lights and I appreciate also having the natural light in there. The guy that built this had outlets installed at both ends of the work table. Brilliant! Two things that I added, one: thick modular mats on the concrete. Makes a world of a difference for comfort. Then secondly, I have a utility/laundry sink. I also have two freezers and a frige which I use to chill molds, wax chunks, etc.