Heat guns

YIKES!!!! :shocked2:

Got one of these much needed babies this Christmas, but I took one look at it, and the instructions, and now I'm totally scared out of my wits. 900 degrees?!?!?!?! DH says I must be careful where I point it as it will burn me in an instant...... careful where I use it as it will burn everything around it...... I'm nervous to use it in my kitchen as I don't want to crack my Silestone countertops, or my marble tiles. So my question is this. When using your heat gun to either warm the mold, or quickly zap the candle to correct a mistake, do you use it in the same place you make your candles, or do you have an asbestos padded room???? LOL ;)

I have a 1500 watt heat gun I use, it has a "low" and "high" button on the trigger. I always use the "low" to heat my containers or molds on my wooden kitchen counter top with paper towels under them, never had a problem yet, just make sure and don't hold it on one spot of your containers or molds or on anything for that matter, for to long, it will get hot. It is kinda difficult to level the tops of the containers, because of the blowing it does, but i just move it back and forth kinda like fanning it, again on the "low" setting, and it works pretty good. Good luck. :)

hey mama,

Did you get it from Lowes, or where? Is it the two-speed model? I got mine from Lowes and it has two heat settings. I haven't had any trouble with mine---I use it for smoothing out tops of containers and pre-heating molds or glass containers. Haven't caught anything on fire (yet), but you probably will want to make a "holster" for it using a tin canso it won't burn anything the nozzle might touch after using it.

As far as the 900* goes, it shouldn't pump out that much heat all at once, it has a heating element in it that has to get up to temperature. Definitely treat it much like a loaded gun, ie don't point it at something unless you intend to shoot it! :)

HTH geek

Fear not! Ok, just have a healthy respect for it. It's not like a laser that makes an instant burn. When you first turn it on, from completely cold, it takes it a minute ot two to heat up the element. Now, once it gets hot, that's another story. Takes a very long time to cool down, so don't touch the nozel, ever. You may not realize how long (or short) it's been off and burn yourself. Just a good habit to not touch it. Once you've used it a couple times, it wont scare you anymore. You'll have a feel for it. The first time, hold it at least a foot away from the surface, let it warm up for a minute, then start moving closer. Use a dud candle that you plan on remelting if it makes you feel better. As you get closer you see how much and fast it melts. It's not recommended to get closer than 6", though I have gone to 3 or 4 just very briefly. If you see the wax smoke, back it up or turn if off, it's getting too hot ;) Also make sure you have some place to set it while it's cooling down, that you wont bump it, it wont touch any cords, candles or anything else that will melt. I have a corn can holster nailed to my workbench for mine.

Yep, they are pretty safe to use. Just don't touch the business end and show it respect. :)

The end opposite the business end of mine is flat so I just set it upright on that end while it cools.. it allows the heat to escape the chamber faster and cool a little quicker. The instructions with mine also said this will make the life of the heat gun longer by allowing the heat to escape the heating element and coils quicker.

I have the luck of having a fairly big wooden work table though so it is easy for me to do this and keep it out of my way so I don't accidently knock it over or touch it.

The holster idea sounds good to me though... I never thought of that.. may have to make one. :)

DaisyFairy

DH said he bought it at Wally's World..... It's a Wagner, and I believe it only has the one setting. I think I will experiment with some old reject candles I have lying about, and I like the idea of a wooden board, and old can holster. Thanks for all the input!!!! :)

I have the same one MM. Just don't touch the end for a while after you use it and you will be fine. Also don't lay the end next to anything that may melt either. It can give you a nasty burn. I have found that out on more than one occasion, LOL!

Did you try a search on the old board?

These threads are from the old board....

Heat Gun HOlsters-http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Discussions;action=display;num=1080928512;start=4#4

Heat Gun Safety-http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Discussions;action=display;num=1111425612;start=16#16

Pic of Ducky's Heatgun-http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=gallery;action=display;num=1117804872;start=2#2

There are a ton more threads about 'heatguns' on the old board. I didn't try searching the current board.

HTH.

Donna

Just 1 tip from me.....

Never Never have shorts on and drop the hot gun between your legs and try to catch it between your thighs.......ummmm don't ask me how I know.

I'm just taking a guess here and gonna say it just might HURT LIKE HECK!!!!!;)

I hang my heat gun on a hook under my upper kitchen cabinet when done with it. It doesn't get near anything and I know I won't burn anything that way..(other than myself) LOL

DH said he bought it at Wally's World..... It's a Wagner, and I believe it only has the one setting. I think I will experiment with some old reject candles I have lying about, and I like the idea of a wooden board, and old can holster. Thanks for all the input!!!! :)

That's the same one I got the other day! I need to make the holster for it though! when I'm done with it, I unplug it and set it on my washing machine to cool because my table is covered with paper and will catch on fire if I set it there.;)