Making your own mold liners

Candybee

I want to make my own liners for my mold. I remember someone mentioning they used the flexible cutting boards or placemats they bought at the store. Cut them in pieces to fit the sides and bottom so the mold was lined with these.

Does anyone do this and which store(s) do you buy the liner material?

is the craft board thin enough for use as a liner? If so yes.

I'm thinking the material one mentioned was those plastic cutting boards from Ikea. Someone else mentioned they use placemats from the Dollar stores. I read it so long ago on another forum and can't find the info.

Also, someone mentioned lining the bottom of their mold with some sort of craft design material that left an imprinted design on their soaps. If this rings a bell with anyone can you tell me what it might be?

Haha!! You posted before me. I will check these out.

Hmm.. are those supposed to be links?

Edited by Candybee

They're called impression mats if it's the one I'm thinking of to line the bottom of the mold. Wilton makes most of them I've seen.

Yeah, they are supposed to work as links to threads on here. Just copy & paste into search field & that should bring them up maybe, lol! No that didn't work either.

I'll try this again!

icon1.png Thickness of mylar used for lining soap molds...

nope not working anymore for me anyway. Type in Fun Foam in the advanced search field & the 4 links are there in the 5 or 6 pages. The 3rd non-working link had the most info.

Edited by ChandlerWicks

Here's what you want CB. "Fiber Craft Creative Handes Peel and Stick Foam from Wally World. I used it to line a wooden loaf mold and it was very easy to do. Just be sure that you pice it together with little or no seam. You just measure, cut and pull off the paper backing and press onto the bottom and then sides. Soap will not stick to the foam and it will last a good long time. Beware on getting the stuff off. It really doesn't wear out but I got a wild hair to change mine out and wound up throwing the mold away. HTH

Steve

My favorite homemade mold liners are these (I should mention that my molds are the collapsible-type, which work perfect with them):

1) Heat resistant or "no-melt" quilter's mylar (found at Joane's Fabric store down the quilting aisle): http://www.joann.com/wrights-quilter-s-no-melt-template-12-x18-/prd37961/ I just cut it into 5 individual pieces to fit my mold, then dab some Vaseline on the back of the pieces to stick them in place. They are a thing of beauty to work with. I very lightly 'grease' the sides facing my soap with a tiny bit of mineral oil and they peel off like buttah, leaving a shiny, smooth surface to all my edges. They last forever, too! I'm still using the same liners I made about 4 years ago or so.

and

2) Graceful Vines silicone fondant mat made by Wilton: http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=409-414 As much as I love my mylar, I would go so far as to say I like these even more. Besides leaving a nicely decorative imprint on my soap, they need no 'greasing' on the soap-side at all (although they do need a dab of Vaseline to stick them in place to the mold).

Wow you guys! What great ideas. I especially love that wilton vine mat. Question: do you have any problem demolding your soap without leaving some in the mat? I think a mat would be perfect for my slab mold. Just for a little decoration.

I have absolutely no problem de-molding the fondant liners at all. They peel right off without any soap sticking to them. Bear in mind, though that I mostly soap with a 33% lye solution (sometimes 30%), I gel all my soaps, and I use a little sodium lactate in almost all my batches.

HTH! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I found them at Ace Hardware in the very front of the store with the dollar items. They were more than a dollar though, more like 1.50 for a three pack. I got them for my pvc pipe molds. Used them once so far and it went well. Had to trim a couple inches off to accommodate my mold height.

When you guys cut these lining materials to fit your mold, how are you leak-proofing the corners and seams where two pieces meet? I had disaster after disaster with that, and I finally just started putting a whole plastic bag (still in one piece, not cut up) in my molds and poking down the corners and sides as much as possible. It leaves the edges of my soaps quite rustic looking which is no problem to me, but because the corners aren't precise I end up with rounded corners and edges.

When you guys cut these lining materials to fit your mold, how are you leak-proofing the corners and seams where two pieces meet?

The way that I do it is that I pretty much cut my mylar or silicone pieces in such a way that they butt up against each other fairly snugly*, but not so snug that they cause any buckling, if you know what I mean.

Such snugness calls for some precision cutting (or very nearly so), which I do by first cutting each piece slightly longer that they need to be, then I very carefully adjust them down to size with the scissors until I'm satisfied. It's kind of a nerve-wracking task, but once the pieces fit to ones' satisfaction, one never needs to do it again (since they seemingly last forever).

*By 'fairly snugly', I mean that although my pieces fit nice and snug for the most part, there are a couple of teeny-tiny gaps in a couple of spots (hey- nobody's perfect, lol), but happily they are so small that they are not problematic for me at all- i.e., no leakages. More than likely, that's due to the fact that I like to pour my batches at medium to medium-thick trace. All my corners/edges come out nice and sharply defined, not that that matters much to me, though, because I prefer to bevel my edges anyway (as lovely as they look, I hate feeling those sharp edges when showering).

I have the divider set with liners from Bramble Berry to fit my mold. I have noticed that the end pieces (or sides) over lap. That is, the long side pieces are long enough to fit the full side while the shorter side/end pieces fit inside the long pieces which ends up giving them a snug fit inside the mold. Eash piece is cut precisely to fit inside the other so precision cutting is key to keeping leaks to a minimum.

When you guys cut these lining materials to fit your mold, how are you leak-proofing the corners and seams where two pieces meet? I had disaster after disaster with that, and I finally just started putting a whole plastic bag (still in one piece, not cut up) in my molds and poking down the corners and sides as much as possible. It leaves the edges of my soaps quite rustic looking which is no problem to me, but because the corners aren't precise I end up with rounded corners and edges.

A little tape at all of the joints really helps. Duct tape. Packing tape. If you prefer not to tape, a smear of pet jelly can help seal the seams.