Could I get your opinion please?

Would y'all be so kind as to give me your opinion on my labels? I'm thinking about changing them up and going a different direction but I'd like to get someone else's input as to what my labels say to them. Do these say country, spa, vintage, shabby-chic, etc?

Rather than sway your opinion by telling you what look I'm wanting I'll wait until I get a few replies and see if I'm already heading in the right direction.

Thank you!

post-12823-139458510607_thumb.jpg

post-12823-139458510599_thumb.jpg

post-12823-139458510603_thumb.jpg

I really like them a lot. I'm not sure about the color thing that comes down with the square on the end but they are really nice. They have a great high end look to me, great for spas and such.

Would y'all be so kind as to give me your opinion on my labels? I'm thinking about changing them up and going a different direction but I'd like to get someone else's input as to what my labels say to them. Do these say country, spa, vintage, shabby-chic, etc?

Rather than sway your opinion by telling you what look I'm wanting I'll wait until I get a few replies and see if I'm already heading in the right direction.

Thank you!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26132[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26133[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26134[/ATTACH]

I wasn't able, of course, to read all of the print on your labels from the photo but I'd like to state that in my (uneducated) opinion;

Your labels look VERY professional and EXTREMELY well designed.

There is a conumdrum with that, however. They might look TOO professional.

I didn't get a sense of "handmade" or "boutique-based" that some potential customers MIGHT be expecting from a high quality, handcrafted product. I wouldn't be surprised to see the packaging on the shelf of a mass-marketer like WalMart or Target, because they are so very well designed.

I'm not into B&B myself, but my DW uses many products in that category. I can see her looking at the packaging and thinking another "over-priced yet standard quality" product is contained inside. I suppose it would depend on how you will be marketing them and in what venue.

This is in no way a criticism in anyway. Whoever designed these labels in my opinion is very talented.

To answer your question directly, I'd say that they belong in an upscale "chic" or perhaps "spa" category. I'm just guessing at the spa association, though. I'm too old and too fat to climb-up on the table! (lol)

I hope I have not offended you. You have every reason to be very proud of the talent it took to create this design.

HTH/JMO

Dave @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles

ETA; The board is working funny today. When I wrote my post I was the first to reply to your question. Dave

Edited by emilyspoppy

The look I’m wanting to capture is the spa look so it looks like I’m heading in the right direction.

Belinda – thank you!

Karen – thank you!

SuzyK – I added the colored square to coincide with what I believe the color of the fragrance might be. White for gardenia, blue for berry, I have a pink grapefruit fragranced lotion with a pinkish square, and unscented with no color in the square. Would you guys do away with the square? Should I put something else in its place?

Dave – thanks for your candor. I’m not offended in the least. I admire those who will give an unadulterated response when asked for their opinion. I designed the labels myself. I’m not a graphic artist in any sense of the word hence the simplistic look of the label..lol. I would like my market to be several levels above the Walmart/Target crowd. Nothing wrong with them (I shop at Target often), they’re just not my target market. My goal is to get my b&b products in salons and spas. I would say the quality of the products are above average if not well above. They are all handmade/assembled by hand in a converted bedroom of our house. I haven’t gotten to the point of being able to move into my own warehouse and add machinery, much to the chagrin of my wife…lol.

jeanie353 – thank you!

moonshine – thank you!

What changes, if any, would you guys/gals recommend? Do you think salon/spa owners would be receptive to the current design? I do have my products in a boutique type of venue that caters more to the shabby-chic crowd and while sales are okay (I make about double my cost for the booth each month) I can’t help but think they would be better in a more fitting environment. Am I over thinking this?

Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart for your honest replies!

Russ

Dang! And I swore to myself yesterday that I was going to give up writing "novelettes" on the board.

Setting aside other sexual comparisons I'm not surprised that a male designed the label. It is a well-established fact that men are more artistically talented than women! (lol) Wait a minute while I put on my "hard cover" and "flak vest". (another lol) OK! Just kidding ladies! Breathe slow and deep. You'll recover shortly. Please smile along with me now. Thanks!

Russ;

I think you're "on target" for an upscale spa environment. It would be a big deal, though if you had some additional POS materials to draw attention and describe the high-end quality of your products. Window signage, flyers, business cards a printed page (either laminated or contained in a plexiglass frame), virtually anything the shop owner will allow.

Give away some samples to the spa owners and staff and provide a reasonable amount of small-sized samples for them to give to their better customers.

Pricing will be a very important consideration. People who use spas tend to have disposable income, but most do expect to get good value and the "best that money can buy" when they make a buying choice. Don't under-price your line, but remember that the shop owner will be expecting at least a 50% GPM and a knowledge that you will back your line completely.

Hey! It wasn't so long after all. Except I'd like to add;

If you're taking this to the market you mention, don't change a thing! The little color block is optional for me. If you like it, keep it.

Good luck with the expansion of your line.

Can I take off my protective gear, now?

Dave

ETA; I just thought; In place of the color block you might want to sustitute a stylized little green leaf. My guess is there may be more than a few "tree huggers" who patronize spas. I'm not sure what it would take to be meaningful, but I don't see where you're breaking any rules of "engagement" by simply including a little thing like a duty-free leaf on your package. Maybe I should wear my armour for just a bit longer, though!

Edited by emilyspoppy
An afterthought.

I really do think the labels are awesome. i think the color square just seems out of place for the look of the label. I do understand that it's there to go with the scent though. I honestly don't know that it's needed. But it doesn't look horrible with it. Do I sound like a wavering politician? lol I do think that your labels would be loved by spas/salons. I like the simple, clean lined look.

Wow!!! Amazing labels and I know I would be drawn to them imediately!! Very profesional and I agree with everyone that it is a very upscale spa look! You should really approach spas and salons with your line and provide samples and I think you might be surprised how well it is received! Samples get accounts every time! Congratulations! Dave you always make me smile!! You are hilarious and I feel blessed to call you friend! You always have excellent advice and the best humor! Best of luck!!!!

Wow!!! Amazing labels and I know I would be drawn to them imediately!! Very profesional and I agree with everyone that it is a very upscale spa look! You should really approach spas and salons with your line and provide samples and I think you might be surprised how well it is received! Samples get accounts every time! Congratulations! Dave you always make me smile!! You are hilarious and I feel blessed to call you friend! You always have excellent advice and the best humor! Best of luck!!!!

Aw shucks, M'am!!!

If we keep this up folks are gonna talk!

Hey, Angie!

I just noticed this board doesn't have a "pink pumping heart" icon.

A "huggy" one will have to do;

:awww:

Friends forever!

Dave

Thanks Cynthia! I don't currently cover the pumps as I haven't found anything that would work, however, I would love to find something. Do you know if there's a tamper resistant seal or shrink wrap that would work?

Dear Russ;

I've received and read your nice PM and will respond shortly.

I buy my bottles at SKS. They have the best deals and selection I have yet to find on packaging. They do have "tamper evident" caps and shrink wrap bands in various sizes.

http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/SearchIndexPlastic.html

JMO/HTH

Dave

Aw shucks, M'am!!!

If we keep this up folks are gonna talk!

Hey, Angie!

I just noticed this board doesn't have a "pink pumping heart" icon.

A "huggy" one will have to do;

:awww:

Friends forever!

Dave

Lol!!!! Dear friend you know I always love hugs!! Since there is no "pink pumping heart" lol!!! Friends for alway forever and no matter what!! I suspect they are already talking but you are my best buddy!!! I will get you called, I have not forgotten! Amber and I had to get mom's furniture back in order and her tv working so she could catch up on Game of Thrones! Lol! Talk soon! (((((((GREAT BIG BEAR HUGS)))))

Mish Monehpeneh

I think your labels look great and I see them as very spa like for sure. I don't think you need the little square taggy thing, it is not needed.

I also recommend getting this book to be sure of following FDA guidelines and proper listing placement of information on your labels.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0979594529/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I guess the one issue of contention regarding the labels is the use of the colored square. The biggest reason I use it is to set each bottle apart from the others. When a returning customer wants to purchase one they'll know right away which color to choose. If they want another juniper berry they know to look for the blue square, gardenia, the white square, etc. That way they don't have to read every bottle in order to find the one they're looking for. Does that make sense?

I'd like to differentiate each bottle but if the square isn't the answer what recommendations would you make? I'm open to anything.

TexasBrat - is there something that isn't listed/placed correctly on my labels? I try very hard to make sure the FDA guidelines are met but perhaps I've overlooked something.

Again, thank you everyone for your input. I enjoy constructive criticism. Thinking outside the box comes easier for some than for others (like me)...lol.

Edited by classiccandle
Corrected punctuation.

I might look for another place that color designation could be on the labels. So rather than the drop down (which does make a nice identifier but I can see how it can look disruptive), see if there is another element on the bottle that could take that color. Perhaps a color bar under the scent name, etc.

I remain impressed with your packaging, use of fonts and the clean and uncluttered look of your labels. I'd certainly buy the product!

The use of the word "organic" can only be used if you have been officially certified as meeting the standards to use the word. You can state organic aloe in your ingredient listing but not as stand alone on the label. This info comes from the book I recommended.

The use of the word "organic" can only be used if you have been officially certified as meeting the standards to use the word. You can state organic aloe in your ingredient listing but not as stand alone on the label. This info comes from the book I recommended.

Ah, I see. Well I don't need to say organic on the front of the label. I can use some of the other ingredients that sound just as good. Big Brother - always sticking his nose where people don't want it.

Thank you!