scary copyright issues for small business

JI

I have a website with frag descriptions. Under each frag there is a complimentary pic. Most of my pics I got from microsoft clipart. But I had a hard time finding some, so I would take the image from the candle fragrance supplier. I assumed that if I bought say lavender fo from say lonestar, that I could use lonestar's lavender fo image. I did this for at least 10 frag description pics. The rest of my pics of my product etc, I personally took.

Getty is some huge image licensing company that has a whole dept searching out unauthorised images via software "robots". Apparently this is not just limited to getty. When they find an unauthorised image they send scary letters with 1,000 fines per image. Usually these images are worth say $20. But they tack on all these infringement fees. Even if you take it off immediately etc they do not care.

Lonestar might have had permission to use the lavender image, but it doesn't automatically transfer to us. The problem with copyright issues is the laws are a little antiquated compared to our digital advancements. But they say theft is still theft.

I am so disturbed about this, I took down my images from the candle companies and am replacing them all. There are reputable websites out there that give free and paid images. Obviously I am going with free. Also, they consider serious offenders those who use 10 or more. But they still target people who have used only 1-2. And they are even expanding their search to personal blogs. How will that work with pinterest? I am not sure how pinterest works, but don't you pin up images etc that you like?

Stealing pictures on the internet IS a big deal, it happens to many people, constantly. Copyright laws are in place for a reason, you need to ask before you use someone else's anything!! IMO you are a serious offender as stealing is stealing whether one or many!! :cool2:

I do feel bad which is why I am remedying it this weekend. Maybe no one else on this board has used images from the supplier they use. The other day when I found out, I emailed the candle co and asked them about their images if I could use them. In my email today they didn't say yesor no. They said that they get the images from their supplier and cannot comment on their copyright status. But thst I should use my own discretion. I am still not going to use them.

ChrisR, thank you for pointing out that I am wearing the red letter, so to speak. It is wrong by my own ommission. But I thought if I had done it maybe that there was someone else on this board who had used the candle supplier images. Maybe I am mistaken and it is just me. But either way, live and learn and most importantly, change.

Edited by JI

Thank you marcuset for your kind words!

Btw those images - ended up being 8 in total, are all fixed and removed. Even though candle co ended up saying "my discretion", I don't think it would stand up too well.

Edited by JI

I know Nature's Garden doesn't allow the usage of their photos either, but you can use their fragrance descriptions. I get all my photos from Dreamtime. I buy credits for the photos that are royalty free and can be used for the website as well as my labels.

I haven't used ng but have eyed their fragrances for some time. I found additional on microsoft and also there is a stock photo xchnge website. They have paid and free. I actually ended buying a couple paid ones bc they were less than $5 each. I will check out dreamtime down the road. Thanks for that site.

Maybe this is nuts, but I would have gladly shared my photos, until a local competitor used our product photos as her own without permission and as misrepresentation. Had she been able to recreate my soaps, I would have gone after her for that. But to use my photos and try to sell her sub par soaps as my pretties, HELL TO THE NO!

Hmmmm.....I had my website done by someone- I guess I better ask where he got the pics.... I am clueless but love them all and it will suck if I have to change

I would think a web designer would know what he can and can't use but it is my site and I guess I should find out to be sure!

Sorry this happened to you- if makes you feel better I would of thought using a suppliers pic would of been okay (generic) so to speak as in okay for anyone to use - its not like you took directly from a competitor- jmo

Edited by moonshine

True moonshine. I think getty since they have a whole dept must have plenty of fodder to work with so to speak. So you never know. Hopefully your website pics are good. I am sure they are but it is always better to be safe than sorry! I cannot imagine what happened to blissstreet. That is unbelievable that people would use another soap pic as of they had made and were selling thst exact soap!

Maybe this is nuts, but I would have gladly shared my photos, until a local competitor used our product photos as her own without permission and as misrepresentation. Had she been able to recreate my soaps, I would have gone after her for that. But to use my photos and try to sell her sub par soaps as my pretties, HELL TO THE NO!

Brandy is this the same person that I have had issues with also?

I have a website with frag descriptions. Under each frag there is a complimentary pic. Most of my pics I got from microsoft clipart. But I had a hard time finding some, so I would take the image from the candle fragrance supplier. I assumed that if I bought say lavender fo from say lonestar, that I could use lonestar's lavender fo image. I did this for at least 10 frag description pics. The rest of my pics of my product etc, I personally took.

Getty is some huge image licensing company that has a whole dept searching out unauthorised images via software "robots". Apparently this is not just limited to getty. When they find an unauthorised image they send scary letters with 1,000 fines per image. Usually these images are worth say $20. But they tack on all these infringement fees. Even if you take it off immediately etc they do not care.

Lonestar might have had permission to use the lavender image, but it doesn't automatically transfer to us. The problem with copyright issues is the laws are a little antiquated compared to our digital advancements. But they say theft is still theft.

I am so disturbed about this, I took down my images from the candle companies and am replacing them all. There are reputable websites out there that give free and paid images. Obviously I am going with free. Also, they consider serious offenders those who use 10 or more. But they still target people who have used only 1-2. And they are even expanding their search to personal blogs. How will that work with pinterest? I am not sure how pinterest works, but don't you pin up images etc that you like?

Your post is very timely and appreciated.

I am about to start building or having my website built - haven't decided which route to take yet.

Do I understand correctly that you just can't cut and paste a picture from the Worldwide Internet without permission of the originator of that picture?

Clipart is permissible. You can take your own pictures. Otherwise you have to use some of the agencies mentioned in this thread to purchase pictures to use on your website? Or there are certain websites where you can obtain free pictures.

Any additional infornation that you feel would be helpful to someone starting a website is welcome and apprecited. Thank you.

Yes you cannot take random images from internet. This also includes images from the frageance supplier. No matter what they tell you. In my case I couldn't find several obscure frag photos so I took them from my frag supplier. The other remainder - vast majority were either from my camera or from microsoft free clipart website. I found another free clip art website as well. They offer free and paid. Just be really careful. It is scary the idea of getty using web bots or whatever to search them out. But I guess it is so serious it is lota of recenue loss. Scary part is the fines - like 1000 per photo. Good luck.

Edited by JI

Beware of using even paid for images on your website. If you sell a product and use that image to sell your product you can still be liable. Most images for "rent" are to used only as images and not to be used for the use of promoting sales. So be sure to read any and all licensing agreements very carefully. When in doubt, don't use it.

Agreed. I read the fine print and some require you to put a link to say stockphoto below the image. Other restrictions limit you to what type of place/business medium you can use it for.