Question about Colloidal Oatmeal

Charley

I had been making mine by grinding it in my blender, then sifting it in a flour sifter to weed out the larger particles, then regrinding what was left in the sifter. After all the grinding I get a fine soft silky flour. But it doesn't matter. Its still makes CP soap thats scratchy. And yes I have been using whole rolled oats and not the instant kind. My flour comes out looking just like on that link for 'making your own colloidal oatmeal.' The difference is they are using it in the bath and not in CP.

So I took someone's suggestion and started using baby oatmeal cereal. The difference is huge. The baby oatmeal makes a non abrasive soft soap with all the benefits of oatmeal.

However, I still am not fully satisfied as even baby cereal is not 100% oatmeal. It has other ingredients in it and I want 100% oatmeal.

I had been thinking of trying something like oat flour and Red Mill did come to mind. Does it have any scrubiness to it? I only want a soft exfoliation and nothing that feels scratchy.

Edited by Candybee

Hi Barb, Thanks for the info!! I decided to do the same thing but I haven't received my order yet. Can't wait to try the oat flour out. I tried the other methods or grinding and then re-grinding but just can't seem to get the particles soft and smooth enough plus they end up sinking to the bottom of the container.

Just got back from the store today with a box of Aveeno colloidal oatmeal. It was on sale for $5. There are 8 packets in it. Looks like I may be able to make 2-3 soap batches per packet. Don't know til I give it a try.

Opened one of the packets and have to say the oatmeal inside has a wonderfully soft powder like texture. Like baby powder. Much finer than home ground in my grinder.

Will have to wait and see if its still scratchy in the finished soap. But after feeling the texture I'm thinking this may work out fine.

Its amazing all the claims they make on the box considering its just finely ground oatmeal. Wonder how many average people buying Aveeno understand its oatmeal and nothing but oatmeal. The box reads like its an exclusive upscale spa treatment.

i made OMH soap yesterday..i have made it before..but this time I added colloidal oatmeal...1 tesp pp..

the texture feels very soft and smooth..

i won't know how it really feels until i can use it..

but i sure do not feel anything that feels scratchy..

You are referring to the colloidal oatmeal from WSP?

I'm going to try out the Aveeno colloidal oatmeal today in a shaving soap recipe. Can't wait. Will post back the results. But I CP so using it may be a few weeks.

So far I've made two batches (10 lbs) of soap with the Aveeno colloidal oatmeal. I love this stuff! I am so glad someone posted about it in another forum.

I made a lemongrass and lime shaving soap and an oatmeal, milk & honey soap with it. The Aveeno oatmeal is a dream to use. I have only opened one packet so far and use 5-6 tbs. There is enough left for another batch. That means I can get 24 soap batches out of it. I make 5lb batches at a time so thats a lot of soap. So cost wise it works for me.

Anyone interested I got it at my local grocers in the bath and lotion section.

• 3 weeks later...