CS Order

se2653

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my eyes on the cinn stick and lav chamomile- I'll have to try the apple harvest too! So many fo's, too little funds- but it is hard to resist these sales!!!

I just figure I am paying $8 shipping so I am going to get as many bottles as I can to make it worth it. Do not forget that you get to select a free one.

Edited by Scented

I had to order wax anyway.........so I ended up with just enough money to cover 23 new samples. I still have my samples from Candlewics sale to work through, but since I was running low on wax anyway...................

Enablers.

So I ended up making a list of what I have already on hand from CandleScience and then read on here about other favorites. I ended up with:

Green Tea and Lemongrass

Oakmoss and Amber

Plumberry

Moon Lake Musk

Cranberry Marmalade

Cotton Tree

Cedarwood Vanilla

Rain Water

Lemon Verbena

Peach Nectar

Spice Market

English Garden

Cucumber Mint

Orange and Chili Pepper

Rosemary

Grapefruit and Mangosteen

Hawaiian Breeze

Pineapple Sage

Violet Lime

Angel Type

Peppermint and Eucalyptus

Lavender Chamomile

Nag Champa

So far, there are only a few Candle Science scents that I have vetoed or turned my nose up at. I really can't stand their Nag Champa, but the 1 customer that is buying Nag Champa twice a month LOVES theirs, so I buy it there. I actually prefer Peaks, but you go with the customer right?

CS is my primary wax and jar supplier. I also prefer some of their fragrances over other's I've tested.

I have a shop and stock a lot of fragrances. I'm a chandler only. No B&B.

Except for the four new fragrances they are rolling out, I have sampled (OOB) or used all of CS's fragrances.

I bought 25 fragrances today for a total of 50 bottles (2 each)

These are the fragrances we REALLY like from CS;

Apple Harvest

Love Spell

Apple & Jack & Peel

Strawberry Shortcake

Smoke & Odor Eliminator

Dragon's Blood

MacInstosh Apple

Mistletoe

Sex On the Beach

Fresh Brewed Coffee (We use this as a mixer. It's a little bitter as a stand alone IMO)

Cinnamon Buns (NOT soap safe)

Pecan Pie

Very Vanilla (We "French" this up and also use it as a mixer.)

Buttered Rum (An additive to our own "Billy's Eggnog" recipe)

Coconut Lime Verbena

We like other fragrances too, but usually buy them from other suppliers; Lilac, Lavender, Gardenia (PEAK's ONLY!!! My DW's Favorite.) Nag Champa, Frankincense ect...

I'd also like to mention although it get's rave reviews, their "Clean Cotton" was a terrible FO for us. Despite the fact that they arrived and were stored in amber glass Boston bottles two pounds turned on us in less than a year. The candles that were made with this FO also went bad. We may have just gotten a couple of bottles from a bad batch, but I won't buy it from them again.

JMO'HTH

Dave @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles

Edited by emilyspoppy
I'm stupid!

Dave-do you use soy, parasoy or paraffin? I did not have great luck my first round with CS FO's. Only a couple of keepers for me. I wondered since they seem geared to soy if that is why. I have now used and tried all types of wax combos (not Palm) but when I tried them the first time I was using a Paraffin blend.

se-I just ripped opened my bubble mailer and sniffed all I just received. I really like almost all OOB which is good (and unusual for me) because I am a picky polly!!

I have chosen 6 of the 11 I ordered to make on Sunday. I still have some from Candlewic's sale that I want to try so I cannot try all 11 of these at once.

I tried some that I generally stay away from such as Pecan Pie and Caramelized Pralines (I do not like buttery, creamy "sweetened condensed milk" scents) and went outside my norm and got Coconut Lime. A good friend asked for coconut and for .99 it was a tiny risk.

Cannot wait to hear what you order!

eta: Please do let me know if I can provide any OOB detail for you on any I got. Happy to "sniff and share"! (That is like show and tell without the showing part!)

Edited by justajesuschick

Thanks so much JAJC! I'll update here and let you know after I order- still deciding on which ones, and also need some wax.... You'll have to let us know how you like the ones you pour on Sunday- good luck!

[ Dave-do you use soy, parasoy or paraffin? I did not have great luck my first round with CS FO's. Only a couple of keepers for me. I wondered since they seem geared to soy if that is why. I have now used and tried all types of wax combos (not Palm) but when I tried them the first time I was using a Paraffin blend. ]

Dear Karen;

I know from previous posts that you are aware that I like to play with my FO chemistry set. Woking with FO's is pretty much the only aspect of chandlering I find I still get a "kick" from.

For the most part I prefer to work with primary FO's and create my own designer-type fragrances rather than buy them as a custom blend from a supplier. Some of the reasons are;

1.) Reduces number of FO's needed to order and inventory.

2.) Saves $$$ because basic fragrances are usually less expensive.

3.) Saves $$$ because buying larger quanities of an FO means a per ounce price break in many cases.

4.) I have control of the subtleties of the finished fragrance.

5.) We can honestly claim that we are the exclusive source of the fragrance or the "recipe" is our own.

6.) Allows us to use-up FO's that don't particually fly off the shelf in their unaltered state.

7.) Gives us some bragging rights if we do hit on a great one. "Get this here, or go without !!!" I have several right now that I designed that evoke quite a bit of chatter and attention in our shop.

8.) Gives customers the impression that we are truly a hancrafted boutique-type candle shop.

9.) It's fun!

CONFESSION-TIME;

I sold my first candle over 30 years ago, but my introduction to the vast world of candle fragrance sources didn't happen until I discovered this board at the start of this year!

I've been "in a closet" about suppliers, but I'm announcing here I'm coming out!

To date I've bought and poured from;

Candlescience, Peak, BCN, BCS, Gemlight, Candlechem, Candles & Supplies, The Candlemakers Store, Lonestar, Candlewic, (Williamsburg Pottery/Williamsburg Candle Shop & Pourette -

Now no longer FO sources.)

My primary palete at this time consist's of around 80 unaltered fragrances, but we have stocked as many as 120 fragrances in our shop at one time and have had up to 150 in our "catalog".

I've had a quite tough two year period with hospitals and operations and re-habs and I have not even set foot in our sales shop since my illness's began showing up. I am planning changes though to take place ASAP.

I've been buying sampler FO's from new sources (for me) to test. Currently I'm looking hard at Natures Garden & Aroma Haven. I plan to eliminate a company for personal reasons. I will not mention which due to a concern that it may have an impact on an anticipated legal action, but I will state, however, that it is not Peak!

There are other suppliers I am currently interested in also. I would like to reduce the number of suppliers along with the number of fragrances we stock rather than extending them. Significant changes are very much anticipated.

I currently use 4630 for containers, 4794 for general use and 6006 for non-wicked projects. I always keep some 4627 on hand for blending for those days or times when 4630 or 6006 wants to act up. I HATE REPOURS! I'll also use it to soften-up GP wax at times.

Bleached and Un-Bleached Beeswax Pastilles are always on my shelf and 25 pounds worth of genuine natural Bayberry whispers to me at times in my dreams from my candle supplies room.

An open case of High-Temp wax is available to me for priming spooled wicking and using in the hurricanes I infrequently pour. Every now and then I grab one of the bags of soy or palm waxes I have tried to tame and dabble with it until I get bored or frustrated and put it away. I probably need to have a few classified sales, but that's another thread.

It's been my own experience and opinion from doing research that if an FO throws well in Soy it will throw as well or better in Paraffin. That's just my opinion, though. I'm not an expert!

HTH/JMO

Dave

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it!

I have ordered and tried FO's from:

Peak

RE/AH

Lone Star

Candlewic

Fragrance Buddy

Angel's

CandleScience

Backwoods

Just Scent

The Candle Source

BCN

The Candlemaker's Store

Nature's Garden

Aztec

Cajun

DayStar

Community Candle

Indiana Candle Supply

Have narrowed the field and some of these I plan not to order again. Open to try a supplier that I have not yet tried, though!

Edited by justajesuschick

JAJC- I took your suggestion from a different thread, and made some spreadsheets of suppliers and fo's, and marking if it was strong and if I like it. This made me realize how many suppliers I have ordered from (either directly, or some I've purchases off the classies).

I currently have fo's from:

Aroma Haven

BCN

Candle Cocoon

CandleScience

Daystar

Lonestar

Millcreek

Moonworks

Natures Garden

Peak

MMS

Southern Garden Scents

Sweetcakes

WSP

Greenleaf

Some I will continue to order from, others not. I'm using soy now in melts, so that's why I wanted to retry some of the CS fo's, some seemed weak in my 4633 that I was using in containers. (bty- Raspberry Macaroon is WONDERFUL in lotion- my mil and my son's girlfriend love this scent, and it lasts!). Also, off subject, I tried the Toasted Marshmallow from AH in lotion- love, love it!! It is the closest vanilla to the one I've been trying copy for 2 years!! my search is done for that dupe, I can check that off my list- thanks to you!!

Thanks for all the information emilyspoppy- you are an expert, and we all are learning from what you share!! Thank you!

But Dave, you offer a vast array of "expertise" and we can never get enough! :grin2:

OH! PLEASE don't post like this about me.

I really do appreciate the sentiment if sincere, but I am virtually candle stupid compared to the many fine young (and mature) chandlers on this board.

Believe me when I say, I take more than I give here.

Just being old, doesn't make me smart.

I'd hate to have to quit posting here if it get's out of hand with the "nasties" attacking me. Most of us know how easy it is to trip and screw up. I believe that's why there are more lurkers than posters on boards.

It takes courage (or as in my case, careless candidness) to write things that you know are going to be reviewed by so many. Coming accross as some sort of know-it-all is the VERY LAST impression I want anyone to have of me. I'm very OK with being laughed at as a jester, but I never want to be considered an arrogant a**hole by my brothers and sisters on this board.

Just this week I held some bars of scented CP soap for the very first time. How could I possibly be thought of as a person having "a vast array of expertise" ???

I'm learning stuff everyday here. I post alot, mostly because I don't have too much of a social life. I have not even been outside of the house since Thanksgiving. CABIN FEVER!

Thanks for understanding! (I hope) PLEASE take no offense. Jesus wants us all to love each other as he loves us.

Dave

You don't come across as a "know it all" at all- you share information in a very kind, thoughtful way which is appreciated! I know others would agree I think we learn from everyone on this board. I'm still a newbie- this is a hobby for me at this point, and I love reading about others experiences, what works for them, what doesn't, cheering with those who've had success, and lamenting with those that struggle like I do with parts of this process! It fascinates me that some people absolutely love certain fo's, and others don't- it is such an individual thing- we all have different noses and tastes. For me, I can't bring myself to order any musky or teakwood type scents- but I love, love , love the bakery and fresh scents...

I ended up ordering the following from CS:

Cinnamon Stock

Cranberry Marmalade

Green Tea and Lemongrass

Honeysuckle Jasmine

Peppermint and Eucalyptus

Rainwater

Smoke and Odor Elim

English Garden

Juniper Breeze

Day at the Spa

Apple Harvest

Lavendar Cham

Orange and Chili Pepper

Spice Market

I can hardly wait to get these and test them in wax. Good luck to everyone else with their testing- and thank you all for your suggestions!!