Does anyone use palm anymore?

I'm looking for a good palm container wax. It seems like everyone stopped using it once Candle Science discontinued it. Is there anyone out there still using it, and if so, where are you getting it now and what wicks are you using? I want to start testing again (been out of candlemaking/testing for a couple years now!). Thanks!

After Candlescience stopped selling it I went to Candlewic. It's not Glassglow, it's their own. They have container palm and 2 types of votive/pillar palm.

Peak, Candlemakerstore and Aztec have Glassglow(I'm sure there are many more), and I believe Naturesgarden has a palm wax I never tried.

I use CSN wicks from Candlescience

When CS stopped supplying GG I switched to Aztec's. But the price and availability kept changing. They were often out so looking for another source I finally switched to Candlewic's Crystal container palm. Not as pretty crystal patterns as GG but it burns the same, has the same scent throw, glows like the dickens, and the price is the best around. Plus, they are in PA and I am in VA so it worked out great for me. GG has just become too pricey and often it seems its always out of stock when I need it most. Haven't had any of these problems with Candlewic's palm.

My first choice of wick is CS CSn's, followed by CW's RRDs but only if CSN's are OOS.

I'm looking for a good palm container wax. It seems like everyone stopped using it once Candle Science discontinued it. Is there anyone out there still using it, and if so, where are you getting it now and what wicks are you using? I want to start testing again (been out of candlemaking/testing for a couple years now!). Thanks!

I have been doing some research on the Palm wax and thinking of giving it a go again.

It's been a few years since I have truly made some with a serious purpose.

What I have found so far, is to buy the csn wicks from candle science and get the wax from Peaks.

Peaks has the best price on the wax, hopefully they wont look.... maybe they just get a really good deal on it.

Candlewic is closer to me, so shipping may be a bit cheaper, but I get leery buying someone else's "proprietary" wax blend.

Ive dont that in the past and got burned because that person sold their business and certain items were no longer available.

I would just purchase a small 10 pound bag of each to start with from a couple of suppliers and start testing.

• 1 year later...

I've only heard of GG coming out of Malaysia from RSPO members. I believe IGA purchases it and suppliers like Peaks and C&S buy it from them. Its probably the same case with Lonestar but I would not be certain unless I called them or saw the bag the wax came in. The case size is a large 55 lb bag. If you buy it in the 10 lb bag its been rebagged so you wouldn't know where it came from.

Anyway there are several members of the RSPO that produce the wax. It can be inconsistent from one member to the next and currently the RSPO is not self policing. They have rules for growing, producing, packing, manufacturing, etc, the wax but no enforcement thus the occasional inconsistency. This is why CS stopped carrying it a few years back when they got a large shipment of horribly nasty smelling wax that was no good. I know because I was one of the people among other posters here who bought some cases of the stuff. CS credted me after I sent some of it back so they could test it. They also contacted RSPO reps to discuss the wax. Within a couple of weeks they made the announcement they were discontinuing the wax.

Candlewic is the only stateside supplier I know of that buys the raw materials and blends their own. They have a manufacturing plant on site and make it there. I've been there too. They make an excellent crystal container palm (not GG but similar) that is always consistent and because they manufacture it themselves the cost is much lower.

Edited by Candybee

• 2 weeks later...

Time can certainly change things up. I have been comparing wax prices and shipping and it looks like now I can get GG cheaper from Peaks now than CW's Crystal Palm. Which is great because I really miss the beautiful crystal patterns of the GG. I love that Peaks carries feather and tortoiseshell palm too. Been thinking of doing pillars again.