Ocean type of scent

megandgarr

I have a friend that has asked me to make her some melts that smell like the ocean but she wasnt specific on what type of ocean scent she was looking for. I think I would like to find a scent that smells fresh but not floraly or powdery, has a bit of that salty air smell, but does not smell like fish or algae. I did a search and saw that there was quite an experiment going on with various blends to create an ocean smell, but quite honestly I am hoping to find one FO that will fit the bill. Can anyone recommend something along the lines of what I described? I use paraffin so it does not need to be soy friendly.

Thanks!

Dessa

I have a friend that has asked me to make her some melts that smell like the ocean but she wasnt specific on what type of ocean scent she was looking for. I think I would like to find a scent that smells fresh but not floraly or powdery, has a bit of that salty air smell, but does not smell like fish or algae. I did a search and saw that there was quite an experiment going on with various blends to create an ocean smell, but quite honestly I am hoping to find one FO that will fit the bill. Can anyone recommend something along the lines of what I described? I use paraffin so it does not need to be soy friendly.

Thanks!

Dessa

To be blunt...Good Luck! It's a lofty notion to actually being able to find an ocean scent that smells like an ocean. Most are floral (think bathroom coverup) and suppliers don't seem to be changing that anytime soon. If you are wanting the true "scent memory" smell of an ocean you'll be hard-pressed finding an FO that works. Though a fresh ocean scent isn't out of the question if you go herbal or citrus. Cucumber and Cilantro mixed with some Salty Mariner might be pretty good.

You're best bet IS a blend though. I'd recommend Salty Mariner as a starting point but even then it lacks the algae and fish notes NEEDED to make it realistically reminiscent. SOS has a scent called Fishing Pier that might work for you when combined with Salty Mariner. They also have a new scent called Typhoon that might work for your needs as well. You could freshen up any ocean blend with a little bit of citrus. Good luck on finding something.

Edited by rctfavr3

ICS cactus and sea salt is a good one- it has the aqua and salt notes that are pleasant in an ocean scent leaving out the gross powder/floral funeral home scent most have in it

MW celestial sea I did not like at all- in 3022 and 415- smelled like cat urine to me but that is probably just me as alot of people like it - I have about 5 ounces if you want it

I can't find a great ocean/sea scent already made in one FO and I need 2 for my Michigan Line- it sounds crazy but I am actually liking MW forest nymph for possibly one of them- it reminds me more of a ocean/boardwalk scent than a forest

Rctfavr3 did some very nice blends awhile back but I know what your saying about wanting one FO that fits the bill without having to blend everytime

A good ocean scent should be fresh, clean, slightly metallic with a foamy sparkling element on a base of briny water. I've yet to find a winner.

Here's a reworked BLEND that gets the closest IMHO:

.60 Salty Mariner + Dill Pickle

.40 Fishing Pier + Clary Sage

2-5 drops each of EOs

elemi, cliantro, anise

If anyone wants to run with this and replicate it you're more than welcome!

Edited by rctfavr3

Guest OldGlory

Thanks!

Dessa

I hope you take a moment to explain to your friend that the Ocean scent from one company will be different than all the other companies. You could spend a small (or maybe not so small) fortune trying to get the exact one. Further, what smells like Ocean to you might smell like something totally different to her - our scent receptors are all a bit different I think. I'm not saying don't try, just be aware that she might not like anything you find, and you're out $20 or $30. Some of the candlemakers here can afford a loss like that, others cannot. You have to decide if it's a risk worth taking.

Moonshine (or anybody else), did you try Moonwork's "Sea Witch"?

And who is it carrying "Salty Mariner" these days? It used to be AGE but since they went belly up I don't know who has it now.

Salty mariner I believe is brambleberry- it's on my list of yet another supplier to sample and the sea witch I do have - I haven't tested it yet I went with celestial sea first and hated it in wax- sea witch oob is amazing and hopefully in wax just what I am looking for- I need to get pouring again I have been in a slump! Lol

I loved ocean mist from ICS. It was not perfumey or floral. My only complaint, if I remember right, was it didn't last long in my melt. I've since changed wax and I think I will try it again because I normally dislike ocean scents but this one I couldn't stop sniffing.