Crap...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of wax are you using? It looks like you might have a few things going on...the top of it looks like a little mottling, the way bottom ? I couldn't get the pic to enlarge but if you would elaborate on the main parts of your system someone should be able to help you:)

Well the wax someone bought me is this type: http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/browse/processRequest.do?requestURI=processProductsCatalog&categoryId=377320&sku=41%2F1748&BP=10879&ms=search&source=google&cm_mmc=google-_-PLA2-_-41%2F1748-_-productads-sku

Except on the box it said made for container candles. I noticed I also added too much scent to it so there is oil coming out of the top of the candle.. Could that be why?

Well just today I had my outdoor candle area set up. I used a hot plate and double broiler to melt the wax. Once the wax was melted I added the color and scent. I poured the wax into an unheated glass container. Put a box over it and left it there to 'cure'. I think it was the oil...

Wait, you have orders due in a couple days? Yet you are making candles with wax you aren't sure of, not using it for the proper application and don't know the fragrance load?

Good luck!

Totally agree with Faerywren ... I'd say more but I don't want to get my head wacked off.:tiptoe:

It could be any of the things you mentioned. I've never poured outdoors, have no idea what that wax is, and never put a candle under a box to "cure" unless it was palm. I have pre-heated glass containers and I do know what percentage of FO I use. Sorry, can't help more.

Ditto everyone

Have you made candles before? Something's telling me no seeing its a wax from oriental trading company that you didn't buy or research yourself- hate to say it but it probably isn't even wax!

If you have orders your planning to fill my suggestion is get a huge insurance policy if your going to sell those In the picture- sorry I can't help you but I never heard of that product before and making candles outside is not something I ever heard of before either

If your wanting to start making candles there is a ton of great information on this board and lots of people willing to help point you in the right direction but you will have to come to an understanding that you will not be ready to sell for a long time- it takes tons of testing and research to make a SAFE candle to sell to the public

In my opinion, this paraffin is not to use for candles. We have paraffin wax for gavelights /cementary candles/, and that paraffin has high level of oil /above 8%/ and that's why you have some "flakes". At the beginning, we tried to do candles from that paraffin, but they looked like yours... For candles you have to have very good quality paraffin wax with low level of oil.

In my opinion that is basic mottling. It's something raw paraffin does unless you add "additives" to stop it. I followed the link to the wax and you probably have a basic 140 melt point refined paraffin from Yaley. They are a brand that mostly sells to major retailer craft stores and sell a very basic product.

The downfall with the Yaley line is that it is usually not complete. You have to know more than basic candlemaking to take raw ingredients and create a final product with raw paraffin. But it's fun to play with and it's available at the local craft store vs shipping everything in.

When I started my journey into candlemaking (a lot like falling down the rabbit hole.....) I used the Michaels products reguarly and made some decent looking candles. However, the wicks were the issue. They carried a few wicks, but except for the straight 24-ply flat braid they were pretty much useless. I could get very little to burn well past the basic two inch pillar.

Basic paraffin like that only holds up to 3% fragrance, and sometimes not even that. Excess oil (like kaczor mentions above) produces that mottled effect. You can stop the tendency to mottle with vybar, which you can buy through candle suppliers.

Also, the container is too full, I would worry that the melt pool would spill over before it gets going which defeats the purpose of a container candle.

Seeping fragrance can lead to many issues, mostly flame flare up and that's dangerous, so you really need to test your whole system before selling to anyone. On the outside candlemaking looks easy, but it's a very complicated balance and testing is imperative.

FallenCandle, please don't be upset with all the above posts where they warn you about selling (or gifting) too soon. They are actually concerned for YOU! Not only from a liability stand-point but also as a business person. If you give someone crap the first time, what will their reaction be the second time?

Test, test, test and then gift them when you have a candle that throws great, burns great, and is the best candle they've ever had. Then you will have them coming back for more!

Just know though, to get to that point can be trying, frustrating, and pull-your-hair-out maddening at times.

Start simple. Order a candle making kit from peakcandle.com they are the ones who sponsor this forum and are very reputable in sales and service. Paraffin will be the easier one for beginners luck. Soy is a beast and you have to wait, and wait for it to cure. Not something you want to do in the beginning when you are all excited to start. Paraffin can be burned in a day or two after pouring, soy... 2 weeks!

HTH a bit!

How do I fix this? It makes my candles look like crap and I have a few orders due in a couple days! I need to get to work tomorrow morning. Is it because the glass isn't hot when I start, it is cold where I'm working, or the glass?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25536[/ATTACH]

Before you can sell or gift your candles, it takes many hours of test burning to make sure they burn safely and correctly and throw a scent. It's important to have liability insurance. It takes most people at least a year or two to develop a candle line, including all the testing and research by reading here and at other websites. I doubt if anyone uses Yaley products for professional candles, and pure paraffin would have to be blended with other ingredients to make a good candle, so you'll want to find a good wax blend that's already got all the ingredients in it for making professional-grade candles. If you make container candles, be sure the glassware is approved for candle making so it won't crack or shatter from the heat. A professional supplier can answer a lot of questions for you to point you in the right direction based on their testing. A good way to start is with a kit from a good supplier, like one of these kits: http://www.peakcandle.com/category/Candle-Making-Kits.aspx

Edited by HorsescentS

In my opinion that is basic mottling. It's something raw paraffin does unless you add "additives" to stop it. I followed the link to the wax and you probably have a basic 140 melt point refined paraffin from Yaley. They are a brand that mostly sells to major retailer craft stores and sell a very basic product.

The downfall with the Yaley line is that it is usually not complete. You have to know more than basic candlemaking to take raw ingredients and create a final product with raw paraffin. But it's fun to play with and it's available at the local craft store vs shipping everything in.

When I started my journey into candlemaking (a lot like falling down the rabbit hole.....) I used the Michaels products reguarly and made some decent looking candles. However, the wicks were the issue. They carried a few wicks, but except for the straight 24-ply flat braid they were pretty much useless. I could get very little to burn well past the basic two inch pillar.

Basic paraffin like that only holds up to 3% fragrance, and sometimes not even that. Excess oil (like kaczor mentions above) produces that mottled effect. You can stop the tendency to mottle with vybar, which you can buy through candle suppliers.

Also, the container is too full, I would worry that the melt pool would spill over before it gets going which defeats the purpose of a container candle.

Seeping fragrance can lead to many issues, mostly flame flare up and that's dangerous, so you really need to test your whole system before selling to anyone. On the outside candlemaking looks easy, but it's a very complicated balance and testing is imperative.

I found this post very helpful! Thank you for posting this and trying to help me solve this problem. This was going to be a test candle before I used up all my wicks and supplies. Thank you!

~ I would also like to say thank you for your advice. I did not plan to try to sell that candle. I am mostly giving them away as gifts to my family. This is the WORST candle I have made, that is why I'm asking. Thanks for the advice and comments. ~

Edited by FallenCandle
Addition

Not to be offensive, but why would you give a potentially unsafe, untested candle to a family member? It doesn't matter whether your giving them away or selling them. Unsafe is unsafe.

Please take the advice of so many and test thoroughly, using the best supplies you can buy, BEFORE you give them away. Family funerals are expensive.

Not to be offensive, but why would you give a potentially unsafe, untested candle to a family member? It doesn't matter whether your giving them away or selling them. Unsafe is unsafe.

Please take the advice of so many and test thoroughly, using the best supplies you can buy, BEFORE you give them away. Family funerals are expensive.

This candle was a !Test! candle so I could see the scent type and how the color looks. I was planning to test the candle. Before I was going to test the candle I posted about it on here so I could look back on the candle and see why it looks that way. I have heard a lot to test the candles you make. I am currently testing the candles I am making, in my house, without any deaths. Yes I'm a nooby at this. Just started about a month ago. I am going to be careful. I also tested some new containers for my candles. Thanks for the advice.

How do I fix this? It makes my candles look like crap and I have a few orders due in a couple days! I need to get to work tomorrow morning. Is it because the glass isn't hot when I start, it is cold where I'm working, or the glass?

I think many here are not "picking" on you at all, but due to your first post and question it does lead me (and probably others) to believe you are selling candles that you have not tested at all... I am aware that different scents can take special care in the same wax another scent works perfectly in, but before any thought of "selling" a candle or even giving them away is done, we test... and test... and test again. Something it seems that wasn't done here.

I do wish you the best of luck in all you do.

Edited by EccoLights

This candle was a !Test! candle so I could see the scent type and how the color looks. I was planning to test the candle. Before I was going to test the candle I posted about it on here so I could look back on the candle and see why it looks that way. I have heard a lot to test the candles you make. I am currently testing the candles I am making, in my house, without any deaths. Yes I'm a nooby at this. Just started about a month ago. I am going to be careful. I also tested some new containers for my candles. Thanks for the advice.

Please listen to the seasoned candlemakers here. It takes a LONG time to get to that point, even if you're giving them as gifts.

You have been given VALUABLE advice!

I just make melts, not candles. I researched a ton before coming here. Talked and met with others who made or used to make candles, watched youtube videos and read and read. I bought some wax similar to what you got as well as oils at local craft stores and my results were only as good as the quality of the supplies I got. Not so great.

I read here (cannot remember who to quote!) that "quality materials equal a quality product". This is true!

I checked out many of the big candle supply companies and have read and watched their tutorials until I could reenact them!

Surprisingly, good quality materials can be the same or even less cost than poor materials. For instance, just a hobbyist like myself (versus the pros here who buy by the case or pallet) can buy 10 pounds of a great quality wax for the same cost as the 4 pound wax slab from Oriental Trading.

I have tried and tested until I have almost taken the fun out of the hobby! I am still well a newbie and have more to learn than I know and have been at this hard not quite a year.

Ask, read and research here. There are so many with vast knowledge and experience. It really can be a rewarding-and safe-hobby!

Edited by justajesuschick
spelling